Light-O-Rama Forums

Security camera help needed Q about video signal.

Max-Paul

I Know we have a few in here that know their stuff about video signals. I bought a security camera and I am having some problems.

Ok, this is one of those IR cameras that is suppose to be color till the light level goes to low and then the IR LEDs kick in and then it is B&W image. So, I tested the camera by plugging it's leads directly into my TV's AV input and in a well lit room the image is B&W no color. Yet another camera in the living room is good to go with color image. Ok, just a bit more testing. I mounted the camera outside in a nice sunny day here, but it is looking at the porch in the shade. Now the B&W image is rolling vertically. Now I did buy a cable that is for video, audio, and power. It was 50' long and I cut down the excess. Was going to cut it anyway and add connectors so I could connect it to the back of one of those wall plates with the connectors on both sides. I found that the cable consisted of 4 wires that have to be no bigger than 22 ga if not smaller like 24 ga. There is a red, yellow, white, and black. And the black is common to all of the other 3. So I tapped the black and added two more leads next to the outer jacket. So all 3 pair are about the same length. Then I heat shrinked the 3 pairs and then one more over the point that they split. Then installed RCA connectors on all 6 pairs (think cutting and then adding connectors on both ends with wall plate in the middle with 3 female barrel connectors).

Is the B&W at TV and then Rolling Vertically and B&W at the end of this cable all a sign that the camera is sending a weak signal? I have the 12VDC wall wart that they said it needs (voltage & current rating).

What says the hive?

Thanks guys

Seen a lot of views, but no suggestions? I just got done putting a Lambda Power Supply on and jacked the volts up to 12.7VDC but the thing is still rolling.

Edited by Max-Paul

You are getting a 60 cycle hum. Thats power and/or grounding issue. Please provide make and model or manual with tech specs and ill see about getting you a proper cable wiring.

Hi Will,

Suppose to be a NTSC camera. But it does have both in the spec sheet, Does 480 TVL have any meaning as far as PAL vs NTSC? I just thought that the TVL was the resolution rating.

Hi HiTech Lights,

Ok wish to discuss your comments, cuss I am not sure if I understand your reasoning and would like to see if it is true. Ok with wall wart I plugged the camera directly into the back of TV (AV RCA connector). In this mode the color camera is producing a B&W image. Same Wall Wart and now the camera is plugged into a cable that I cut and added RCA connectors to both sides of the cut. Putting a wall plate between end and plugging all 6 ends into RCA female barrel connectors. Now this is the second camera on a security DVR. First camera still good video, but second camera now vertically rolls with B&W video. I also changed the cheap wall wart to a nice Lambda P.S. with same results.

I understand ground loops, and not sure how I might have created one. The DVR, and both cameras have their own wall warts. Rather not type up all of the specs if possible. I do have a new camera on the way from Amazon, will see if things clear up while I do the ebay dance with the seller of second camera.

In my first post I did not know that video signal has a strange new unit of measurement for the signals strength. Seems that you need at least 40 LIR for a good sync signal and 100 LIR for color. And that 140 LIR is like 1vpp. Something else to learn about more. :lol:

NTSC is the US version I believe, PAL is the Japanese version, sorry Max but I don't know what the difference is.

Edited by bisquit476

Hi Bisquit,

I have to say I think the whole world with the exception of USA uses PAL. I think if the power is 50Hz then you will find PAL. Not sure but I think that has something to do with it. Remember the old tube sets? The way I remember it they used a resistor, cap and a neon bulb to create the Horz sweep voltage and some way or another the 60hz was part of the timing too. But I have to disclaim being a TV repair tech. But in my days of going to a high school Tech school I think we got a small taste of how TVs work as part of the overall electronics we learned. And that was abt 35 yrs ago and I noticed my memory is slipping. Heck already forgot what is the first thing to go as you get older. :D

Hi Will,

Suppose to be a NTSC camera. But it does have both in the spec sheet, Does 480 TVL have any meaning as far as PAL vs NTSC? I just thought that the TVL was the resolution rating.

Hi HiTech Lights,

Ok wish to discuss your comments, cuss I am not sure if I understand your reasoning and would like to see if it is true. Ok with wall wart I plugged the camera directly into the back of TV (AV RCA connector). In this mode the color camera is producing a B&W image. Same Wall Wart and now the camera is plugged into a cable that I cut and added RCA connectors to both sides of the cut. Putting a wall plate between end and plugging all 6 ends into RCA female barrel connectors. Now this is the second camera on a security DVR. First camera still good video, but second camera now vertically rolls with B&W video. I also changed the cheap wall wart to a nice Lambda P.S. with same results.

I understand ground loops, and not sure how I might have created one. The DVR, and both cameras have their own wall warts. Rather not type up all of the specs if possible. I do have a new camera on the way from Amazon, will see if things clear up while I do the ebay dance with the seller of second camera.

In my first post I did not know that video signal has a strange new unit of measurement for the signals strength. Seems that you need at least 40 LIR for a good sync signal and 100 LIR for color. And that 140 LIR is like 1vpp. Something else to learn about more. :lol:

Could you give me the make/model or manual? If you could write out a simple diagram of how this cable is wired and pin'd, that would help as well so we are on the same page. Just so I understand this, if you take this camera and hook it up right to your TV with a short cable and its power supply it works fine. But then when you take it and put it far away with the cable you spliced into, you get the "rolling" effect you mentioned right?

Just so I understand this, if you take this camera and hook it up right to your TV with a short cable and its power supply it works fine. But then when you take it and put it far away with the cable you spliced into, you get the "rolling" effect you mentioned right?

No Sir, your above statement is all wrong. First no short cable to the TV, just the short pig tail coming out of the camera. And it is not fine, should be color but it is only B&W out of the camera. Ok second sentence is correct about the rolling images when on the spliced cable.

Ok, here is the camera data, mind you this is one of those boxes from Hong Kong and the box does not have a model or make on it. Just the features. On the back of the manual I have a CCI-MPA000.

Here is a link to the same camera by the same seller that I bought one of.http://www.ebay.com/...d=390474101028

You'll notice in the specs that it has internal sync and I am under the impression that it will work with either PAL or NTSC. I would have no question about the cable splice not working if it was not for the fact that I cant even get color when connected directly to the TV. Have a little bullet camera and it works just fine with the lighting in the room and gets great color. Hence the reason I am really starting to think this things is defective. But wanted to be sure before I started to complain to the seller.

Thanks for the help. Wish Jeff would jump in. Fairly sure he has done some great research into CCTV cameras.

Edited by Max-Paul

From everything you have stated Max, it sounds like the unit itself might be defective. I would tell the seller what you have found out and see what he says, if he's upstanding about it, he would exchange it.

But for a tad more why not just get a complete system?

http://www.homesecur...hard-drive.html (w/o HD)

http://www.homesecurity361.com/4ch-security-dvr-system-kds4-narcz4zn-500gb.html (with HD)

Edited by ToddH

Well this started out as one of those "we'll buy this here and wait a few weeks, then buy that there and wait a few weeks". Kind of one of those under the wife's radar. Then hey where did that come from kind of thing. Kind of like spreading out the cost. Seems cheaper to the wife. Kind of like what a lot of us do about buying lights and controllers and what nots in this hobby. As capt. TJ says "savvy?"

UPDATE: Got a new Zmodo KN-CS209BK nothing fancy or anything like that. And for the most case, the same as the first one just different name and different vendor. Right out of the box and on the back of the TV it was perfect, this one has color. Took it out and just a note, not all of the mounting rings are the same even though they look the same so I had take all of the hardware down and reinstall. Ok, its dusk and I still have color and no rolling. Ya, same cable that I described above, nothing has changed. Except for the camera. I think that this is a sure thing that the camera that I got a few weeks ago is bad. Had to threaten to go to ebay and paypal to get this resolved. Will see in a few weeks when he gets the old camera back.

So one more note: I bought one of those pre-made power, audio and video cables. When cutting it I found just for individual conductors and no shield. Just got to tap the black wire (ground) so that you have one going with each of the other 3 wires. I used RCA connectors to make the splice. In part cause that was one of the few choices that you have for a coaxial type of connectors. An F connector would not work with stranded wire.

So, not done with this but glad to see that a new camera works just fine in my installation.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

• The topic was locked