Light-O-Rama Forums

I just can't seem to get motivated this year

dannyv6

Last year was my first year and it was awesome. This year I just can't get into programming at all. I was think of adding 10 channels of snowflakes to the roof. However then I would have to edit my old sequences. About 15 of them.i don't know.... Anyone else ever hit the wall?

I've known many people, myself included, who hit a wall the second year in. You spend so much of your time the first year getting everything ready for the display that you are just worn out.

One thing I learned is that 99% of the people who visit the display wouldn't notice, or wouldn't care if you use the exact same sequencing one year to the next. Granted, 5 years of the same thing would probably get old, but 2 years I don't think they care/notice.

I am using the same display as last year.

There will be a few changes but more or less the same.

Next year need to make some changes.

Guest Don Gillespie

The beauty of this hobby allows us to use the same stuff with the same sequences yearly, the trick to this hobby is to add and or delete some props that would make the display look different every year, that way it is easy to re sequence your old songs and gives you the opportunity to add some new songs and as others have mentioned the people that come to watch will not know the difference. now get back to sequencing you slacker. :P

I ran into the same thing during the early years of my show. In order to keep it manageable, I try to add 1 new song to my library each year. I only use a portion of my library for each year's show. This allows me to change the show every year without a lot of work. I will also either add/change a couple of props each year if time permits.

This is my first year and I agree it has been over whelming but think it is because all of the initial setup as well.. Building an then programming.. I agree with Don, use last years and then modify the following year, it doesn't take much to modify something small that'll make it looks like a new show! Good luck!

I am adding a 16 channel spiral mega tree and only have 1 song done. Have no motivation to get going on it. But i procrastinate every year and end up getting it done under the wire.This is the first year in 3 years we are adding something big.

I am with you on that one. I am full steam ahead with my display but programming it is just not doing it for me. Bed sounds much nicer.

Though I forced myself to at least work on a song and next thing I knew it was midnight and the song was almost done.

I've been busier then a one armed wallpaper hanger, and have several ideas, but I'm not getting very far with them. I have gotten a new sign and such, but other then taking the spiral tree to 32 channels, I haven't really done anything since last years show. My Dad asked for a Perry Como song, so I gotta do that, but I'm thinking superstar instant sequecing it. ;) . I hope things get a little slower here so I can catch up and add maybe a few more songs.

Tom Straub

I had that problem last year. It ended up being the environment I was trying to program in! I was trying to do it at a table with florescent lighting, couldn't get into it. Tried it at home in a dim incandescent lighting with a Christmas tree scented candle going, and bam I had it back!!

Environment is key sometimes.

I have found that I was totally into sequencing the lights, building all the props that I needed, organizing, planning and setting up the display the first few years. And then, as the challenge of it wore off and I became proficient at the process, It all became more of a chore than a challenge. I find that if I'm not challenged, I lose some interest. It's happened with many of my hobbies - reef keeping, sailing, astronomy... I tend to lose interest when it becomes too easy.

Hmmm... maybe it's time to find another new hobby...

D.T.

= I lose some interest. It's happened with many of my hobbies - reef keeping, sailing, astronomy... I tend to lose interest when it becomes too easy.

Hmmm... maybe it's time to find another new hobby...

D.T.

Same thing with Reef's and me, it got too easy, I had this whole entire plan of upgrading to a larger setup but as soon as I was ready to purchase the new tank, the interest and excitement of it died out. Cleaning my aquarium was a huge hassle and not something that I enjoyed... buying filter media, and new things for the aquarium seemed like a waste of money... Then the success of the reef began to fall, interest was lost, so now its a FOWLER, I think I want to get another coral... :)

Downtown are you already using RGB i think that would ad a learning curve

Not so much RGB, but I've been using DMX since the iDMX-1000 came out. The cost of RGB strips are prohibitive otherwise.

D.T.

Edited by DownTown

I agree with Dannyv6. I took 2 years off after my first year and picked up 2 new controllers in the mean time and built 4 arches. Now I'm not amused anymore like I used to be. We will have too see once this year starts maybe I'll get some excitement back.

Guest Don Gillespie

Same thing with Reef's and me, it got too easy, I had this whole entire plan of upgrading to a larger setup but as soon as I was ready to purchase the new tank, the interest and excitement of it died out. Cleaning my aquarium was a huge hassle and not something that I enjoyed... buying filter media, and new things for the aquarium seemed like a waste of money... Then the success of the reef began to fall, interest was lost, so now its a FOWLER, I think I want to get another coral... :)

Listen if you get bored with LOR make sure to contact me so you can give me all your stuff LOL

A lot of new props this year to keep me interested. It took me a few days to get back into it though. I am back in the swing now. Listening to a lot of my Christmas music helps recharge the Santa in me.