Light-O-Rama Forums

CTB16PC Unknown device (resolved)

Guest guest

Got my three new CTB16PC boards and powered them up. Connected them one at a time and went to the hardware utility to set the ID's. Chose "any unit" under Old unit ID and set the first board to 4 under New unit ID (I have three LOR1602W from last year). The message came back that the unit number has been set. Hit the refresh button and it came up with unit 04 - Unknown device. Repeated the process for boards 5 and 6. All came back as unknown devices. I am running hardware utility Ver 1.5.10.

Last year, when I got my third box, it did the same thing for unit #3. The issue then was that I was not running the current hardware utility. Not sure what it is this time. Any help would be appreciated.

Derrick -

I had the same issue wheen I set up my controllers purchased in the early bird sale. Even though it says it's an unknown device, it seems to work just fine.

D.T.

This is the same experience I had with controller #3 last year. Everything worked fine, but I was on eggshells the whole time. After Christmas was when I updated the hardware utility and finally got it to recognize #3 as a controller.

I am wondering if this is widespread or not. I have been following the discussions and haven't seen anything posted. I may have missed it, though.

I believe this is a problem that Dan knows about. He had mentioned putting a new device file up for download. He posted the below on Feb 15th.

That was an oversight. We will get a new "devices file only" download so people can get the latest version without the need to update software.

I've got 7 kits and all of them say "Unrecognized" but they all work without any apparent ill effects.

One or two reported errors when assigning the unit ID but it worked once I told it to ignore any errors.

I'm running 1.6.1.

Edit: Looks like I was 2 mins too late with my post. I should type faster. ;)

This is my first year with LOR and my first unit. It shows the same thing but seems to work fine. I know enough not to panic but I was a little worried. I guess I won't worry too much if there are others who are experiencing the same thing.

As you stated, no reason to panic. If I have learned nothing else in the last year, it's that if I were to run a company, I would do my best to emulate LOR. If there is an issue, they will respond, and they will exceed expectations in doing so.

bhays is right Dan does know abought it and it's not a problem. Down load the new hardware editor from the LOR web site and it will fix the problem. Also LOR is the best when it comes to tech support, just send them an email and problem solved.