Light-O-Rama Forums

dumb question?

paralegalnc

I don't know....maybe I am over thinking it? but I'd rather know now then when I flip the switch ...

Ok... on my roof... I am using 3 channels... gunna have three separate colors.... say row of red.... row of blue... row of green... 3 rows of each color...each color to its own channel. want to use c9s. roof is 69 feet across and then tapers to 43 feet at top. the c9s I have us .93 to 1.2 amp per strand. gunna run a 3 way cord from the channel cord to plug in the three separate rows....

my concern is... the lights say don't connect more than 2 sets together... the problem is, that won't get me across the roof at the bottom. is this a problem? what if I do connect more..say 3 or 4? I know I shouldn't have more than 15 amps per each side of my box...if they are all on at the same time? there were some lights I could buy that I can connect 3 sets... do I need to be concerned?

Each box will be on it's own 30 amp recepticle coming directly from my box on a 30 amp breaker.

As people will tell you, the warnings are there for a reason. If the C9 strands say don't connect more than two together, then don't.

What do you do then? Well, you know the electrical limitations of the controllers (15 amps per side) and the limitation of each channel (8amps per channel). So long as you don't exceed that, then you are fine. Thus if you had 3 strands of C9's that you wanted to hook up to Channel 1 of the controller, you could do so, so long as you don't have all 3 strands connected together. They could all use the same extension cord, but you wouldn't want to connect all 3 strands inline.

Make sense?

First off, there is a reason even if you do not understand it for some rules. If the string says DO NOT, then do not. Now I will share with you why not. The wire that is used to create the string can only carry so much current. If you connect more you risk a fire on your roof.

It appears you know the rules of max 8 amps per channel and 15 amps per bank. So dont exceed the number of strings in series or end to end. Do what ever you need to do to get the house lit, just dont exceed any of the rules.

I guess LED are ok...but man I don't have that much money to invest this year in that. and those 8/15 that is everything on at the same time right?? :) heck it would be cheaper to buy another controller and sort it out that way LOL need an after christmas sale now and my Christmas bonus for halloween... but I don't think my boss will go for that LOL

Think easier.. if you cant do more than two inline, then off the dongle for those channels, run a triple-tap and plug each (color) string into that tap, as long as you dont exceed the channel amp limit, you'll be fine. One dongle, one triple tap, then strings (and extensions if they wont reach). You have the three strings, into one channel, but again, as long as you dont exceed the current limits for each channel. So (I was an English major) but 3 strings, x 1.2amp = just under 4amps. Just dont have the three colors on at the same time to keep the bank limit in check too.

Additionally, using the Hardware Utility, set each channel to a lower max intensity to lower the current demand..

Edited by TJ Hvasta

Think even easier sell the C-9s and go with C-6s problem solved, oh and by the way they look great on a roof trust me.

+1

I use the same thing on my roof. No fading or breaking of glass bulbs. No bulbs going out during the season. A lot lower electric bill. More lights per channel.

I Didnt know better and got all C9 LEDs for the roof line. Let me tell you it is only 80 bulbs. But I can light up the yard and the house across the street. LOL

• Like 1

I Didnt know better and got all C9 LEDs for the roof line. Let me tell you it is only 80 bulbs. But I can light up the yard and the house across the street. LOL

Here is my "Like" button since I was full.

An error occurred

You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

:)

Edited by Santas Helper

Think even easier sell the C-9s and go with C-6s problem solved, oh and by the way they look great on a roof trust me.

see... this is why I love the people in here. Easy to understand answers! but are those regular c6 or led? I will go out today and look for them. I will have to get a little each week... thats an investment for sure. kinda poor the next couple weeks, kid is coming home for fall break from college... food costs gunna go up...lol not to mention laundry. just to let you know... I DID read all the stuff in the manuals... and I'm pretty smart... but short of figuring out every single strand of lights amp (cuz you know they aren't universal) multiplying it by how many im gunna need in that spot.. as well as the props.... for 48 channels! it's like algebra all over again

Many of my runs, I'll take an extension cord to the middle of the run, and go both ways. Works for me, keeps the amps below safety mark

You should get a Kill-O-Watt meter. It will tell you how many amps a string of lights uses. You can get them at Home Depot, or Amazon.com. They run about $20.00.

BTW CDI has a pre-sale, it usually starts in late December or early January and you receive your order over the summer. You could buy you C9 Reto LED's for next year.

Jerry

BTW CDI has a pre-sale, it usually starts in late December or early January and you receive your order over the summer. You could buy you C9 Reto LED's for next year.

Jerry

Or you can catch their current sale now and not wait. Different products on sale each week. (12 weeks of Christmas sale going on now)

Click here

And everything that is on sale is in stock.

Edited by Santas Helper

thanks. I will keep that in mind. But their SPT2 wire is 200 and I found 1000 for 130......thats what is onsale this week

thanks. I will keep that in mind. But their SPT2 wire is 200 and I found 1000 for 130......thats what is onsale this week

Where?

SKU270 SPT-1 18AWG Wire 1000 feet (10 Amps, Green) $132.95

ChristmasLightShow.Com

but I paid another $45 for shipping two of those heavy things...

When I bought 250' SPT1 a while back, I found Menards to be pretty close to the prices I found online, had to pay tax, but no shipping or waiting!

When I bought 250' SPT1 a while back, I found Menards to be pretty close to the prices I found online, had to pay tax, but no shipping or waiting!

250' doesn't go very far with me. Luckily CDI has 1000' and no waiting. Plus their product has UV inhibitor to slow down the aging process.

Paul has great products and service. Something I can trust and rely on.

I have over 800 C9 Retro LED bulbs on my house ... 2 colors .. NEVER an issue with power / channel ... but it was more $$ up front !

Dave

Holy Molely, 800 of them little buggers! I have 4 colors of about 80 each and I can light up the house across the street with all 320 on at a time. If those where Ican C9s on your house. Well the electric bill would sure be something thats for sure.