Light-O-Rama Forums

Amperage question

Guest guest

I would like to use my lor board to control my pool pump and my solar panel pump. The panel pump is only a 5 amp draw. The filter pump is a 12.2 am draw on startup. I have a CTB16D board with high power heat sink. I know it uses 16 amp triacs and each channel is only recomended at 8 amps. I will only be using two channels and they will not be on at the same time. My question is can I get away with running the pool pump directly off the lor board without a relay ?

Thanks

Greg

I hate to ask .. but why would you use a $100+ controller intended for incandescent/LED lights for a pool pump?

A $20 plug in timer can do this for you at a much cheaper cost. There are many timers with multiple on/off sequences per day.

Greg,

With the high amperage of the pump, I wouldn't risk it. I don't think it would be good on the triac or the board. If anything, I would use a relay on either the pump or the panel.

Just my thoughts,

Tom

I had an 2 generic timer last year, that worked fine. This year I have both pumps plumbed into the skimmer port, With it this way I can not run both pumps at the same time. I tried two different timers and the timing would drift slightly, The timers need to run in sync with each other. The way the solar pump runs is on for 5 minutes and off for 10 (a batch heating process). Since I already have the cat5 line run for christmas I can put the controller at that location and use it to trigger the pumps. I just thought it would be a different option. My wife asked me the same question. This is still in the thought process and I may still go back to the other option if needed but I am just looking for other options.

Greg,

That explains it a little better and understand what you're trying to do. Honestly, it's not a bad idea but I hate to see you blow a board or a component of it with direct hookup. You already have power going to the pool, I would add a relay for each pump/panel and have LOR control the relays.

Just my thoughts,

Tom

I would go with Tom's idea. I run parking lot and outside lighting this way. Not only does it protect your LOR from over ampage ware and tear but it will protect the LOR from motor problems and voltage problems comming in on the main line. I have lost breakers and relays from lightning but not my controlers.

My question is can I get away with running the pool pump directly off the lor board without a relay

No you should not run a motor off a triac. It will distort the power wave so much your motor will over heat, and the inrush current will kill your triac not to mention the back EMF from the motor when the triac shuts off.

Just don't do it.!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AI

AI,

I thought about that and decided to use relays for both pumps. I got it set up this week and it worked fine on friday and saturday. Now maybe I can add some sort of light show for outdoor gatherings! Since I still have 13 channels left. One is used for the primary pump, one for the solar pump, and one for the landscaping lights.