Light-O-Rama Forums

Something is wrong...

Joe_ML

I'm trying to put together a sequence using the song by TSO - What child is this. When using the fixed timing 0.10 and having to use the Tapper wizard, because UV and Beat doesn't work right. When I play the song - visible on screen, the first screen is perfect. But when I scroll to the next screen, everything is off by alot. Right now I'm trying to line up all the hard piano notes that fade out. WTH, this is making me go crazy, having to play the entire song.

Please Help!

Using v3.1.4

Joe's Xmas Song.lms

Nothing is wrong, Don't use a fix time grid. When you use any of the wizzards for timing, use a freeform. Best thing would be select create new timing track.

When Lor tries to add to a fixed grid, it will skew to closest or error

Edited by cenote

Nothing is wrong, Don't use a fix time grid. When you use any of the wizzards for timing, use a freeform. Best thing would be select create new timing track.

When Lor tries to add to a fixed grid, it will skew to closest or error

That's not entirely true. I use a FIXED timing grid of .05 {point zero five} and have had no problems using any of the Sequencer Wizards. I use them all the time like this.

Sounds to me the MP3 file is in VBR and NOT CBR, which if using the Wizards on a VBR file can create such issues, had an MP3 I was working on just the other day and didn't realize I had not converted it to CBR, it was still in VBR, so when I started getting skewed and messed up timings and things not working right, that was the first thing I looked at. Put it in my music editor, converted to CBR and voila!, no more problems with it getting out of synch!

what;s the difference?

Chuck,

This is a post from the forum (though my link was to the old forums, not this one.)

Your problem is that your MP3 is variable bit rate.. When you ask WMP to start a song 45.5 seconds into a song, it just takes the bit rate (or average bit rate for a variable bit rate file) and multiplies the bit rate by the requested time, and starts playing from there. But when a file is variable bit rate, you may have cases where more bit rate is used late in the file than early, and this introduces these errors. For most uses, it is accurate enough for windows media player. When it counts like it does with LOR, you need absolute positioning accuracy. If you use a constant bit rate file, your timing marks will line up... You can use audacity to re record the file as fixed bit rate MP3.

Technical, yes. However, it does explain the differences pretty well (I think.)

ok, I'm a dummy, what;s the difference?

In the easiest terms possible VBR = Variable Bit Rat, CBR = Constant Bit Rate. And that "V" being the key, VARIABLE, which means the music does not remain at a constant rate, therefore the Sequencer can't always maintain a correct or perfect alignment with the timing in the song. Being CONSTANT allows the SE to maintain your timings right down to the note in the song without wavering or getting out of time with the music you're working with.

Don's link is great fot the technical aspect of how it works, but I'm just tossing in what I would hope would be more of an easier to understand why the SE has an issue with the VBR over CBR. Basically the "VBR vs CBR Differences for Dummies". :P:D