Light-O-Rama Forums

Light socket in pumpkin buckets?

petek157

Hello, I was wondering if anyone has a suggestion on putting a 110 light socket into one of those plastic trick or treat pumpkin buckets. I have 10 windows across the front of my store that I was going to put one in each. I have outlets under each window controlled by an LOR controller. My thought was to just put a single bulb in each but dont think that a full size bulb is necessary.

I cant find any light bases/sockets that are smaller for the smaller light bulbs that would seem to work. So I was wondering what everyone else would suggest.

Hello, I was wondering if anyone has a suggestion on putting a 110 light socket into one of those plastic trick or treat pumpkin buckets. I have 10 windows across the front of my store that I was going to put one in each. I have outlets under each window controlled by an LOR controller. My thought was to just put a single bulb in each but dont think that a full size bulb is necessary.

I cant find any light bases/sockets that are smaller for the smaller light bulbs that would seem to work. So I was wondering what everyone else would suggest.

Stupid question, have you tried Lowe's or Home Depot? I was looking for light bases for my North Pole's last year and end up finding something I could use there. They had plastic light base's that I ground down to fit into a 4inch PVC.

I guess I should have mentioned that I live in the middle of now where. So I have limited (well actually no) access to the big box hardware stores. At my local hardware store, they have the typical porcelain sockets. It sounds like you used what Im looking for. Might have to pack up and take a ride one of these days.

Thanks

Have you considered using one of those sockets/cords that typically go in a Christmas village item? Something like Dept 56 from Hallmark or St Nicholas' Village from Kohls? I know that wal-mart sells stuff like this too. Basically, it's one C7 socket on the end of a lamp cord. I'm actually going to do this myself. I'm planning to drill a small-ish hole in the plastic jack-o-lantern and put these sockets to work. The sockets have a built-in clamp to hold them in place.

Here's a link to one...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0074671SM/ref=asc_df_B0074671SM2205966?smid=A32N9CUEZEUOMT&tag=dealtmp5187-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395105&creativeASIN=B0074671SM

The thought had crossed my mind yes. It is an option. I am going to go walk through Walmart tonight and the hardware store tomorrow and see what jumps out at me.

At least you can find the blowmold pumkin shaped buckets... They arn't being carried anywhere around here... unless you want ones with mickey mouse ears... Which I don't... All they have is fabric or foam molds. I was going to just drop in 50 ct Led strings in mine... Shouldnt heat up too bad with the tops open and outside.

I did that 2 years ago and used night lights from the $1 store. 7/8" hole in the pumpkin and they snapped right in. However I did find the 7 watt bulb a little dim, so I used 25 watt chandelier bulbs, nice and bright.

I tried using a string of 5M LED, anywhere they pointed on the pumpkin there was a bright white spot... Not quite what I was looking for. Another post says that there are C7 sockets with cords included at Dollar Tree, gonna try that tomorrow.

I went to a local dollar tree yesterday and they did not have them in stock yet. But the nice clerk suggested I order them online and have them delivered to the store free of charge. I think I'll take her up on that!

I picked up 6 of them yesterday at dollar tree. I also did some experimenting. With the blow molds, the white bulb washes out the bucket color, but if you put in a clear orange coated bulb, it shines through with a rich pumpkin orange. I like it much better, not as bright, but the color richness makes up for it. Now I'm wondering what else I can do with these single c7 socket cords.

I used the pumpkins from Wal Mart, bout a buck each. I used elec sockets I got from home depot that have teeth and a screw on end that

bite into cord like a vampire plug. bout 2 bucks each. After drilling some holes in the pumpkin for drainage and for wiring, I hot glued the sockets to the bottom of the pumpkin. I use plain 40 watt soft white bulbs, 4 for $1.50... They look AMAZING!

tj

Edited by tjflory

Walmart, Lowe's and Big Lots have 8 inch plastic pumpkins for sale this season that have the C7 socket in them. Big Lots and Walmart are also selling larger sizes, up to 16 inch size. Cost for the 8 inch size runs $6-8. I'm using 6 of them in my display at this time.

Torqumada

What I did for my pumpkin buckets, I have 3 of them. I have a C7 socket in them, I used liquid nails to mount the socket, cut a slit for the spt2 wire and then used waterproof silicone to seal the connection. I also then put a bunch of small holes in the bottom to help with draining (rains allot here). It worked perfectly and will be using them again this year.

Can someone tell me if it is safe to use the lights you are talking about outside? I have some pumpkin buckets on my porch nailed around it, and I want to light them up. I'm tired of my led tea lights burning up so fast. I found some of these lights at walmart, but they all say for indoor use.

:o

21l35ms.jpg

Here is what I did. Please excuse the messy porch. Not finished with the other side of my porch!

I just hope it is safe. I bought the c7 lights that have 5 all together in the Christmas section with the Christmas villages at Walmart.

Why not save your money and just toss in a set of clear minis?

That seems like it would work and if there were undesirable hot spots then the minis could be put in a cheap drinking glass or vase in the middle of the blowmold. Probably work out to less than $2/pumpkin.

Edited by Jay Czerwinski

Thanks! It seems to be working out well. I had already drilled out holes in the bottom because I did the same thing last year, but I used the battery operated tealights. Those don't last long in these.

I got some coated orange bulbs tonight and it makes a HUGE difference. Thanks for all of your help.