Light-O-Rama Forums

Holiday Lights Designer

kennyz06

Hey All,

I have a random request. Can someone PM me with some license info for the holiday lights designer software? I purchased it a few years ago, and had to reformat my pc, and I lost the license info. I've sent multiple emails and put in multiple tickets to get the license info retrieved. No response from them at all. I even found Michael's phone number in the forums and called him, they hung up on me when they heard I needed help with the software... This is frustrating!!!

Kenny

Hi Kenny....

I can't help you with HLD, but let's see if I can help you use the Visualizer in S3. It has many of the same features that HLD did, and is supported by us. Unfortunately you'll have to re-create your display in the Visualizer, so there is a little work involved. The good news is, that you shouldn't have a problem in the future with support.

Can you please PM me the eMail address that you used to register your LOR software (not HLD) so I can see what version of our software you have?

Guest wbottomley

Hey All,

I have a random request. Can someone PM me with some license info for the holiday lights designer software? I purchased it a few years ago, and had to reformat my pc, and I lost the license info. I've sent multiple emails and put in multiple tickets to get the license info retrieved. No response from them at all. I even found Michael's phone number in the forums and called him, they hung up on me when they heard I needed help with the software... This is frustrating!!!

Kenny

It has not been supported for years. I would consider it as a loss and use LOR's Visualizer.

Mike,

I have S3, but all my stuff is in the HLD software :( I hate to have to go do it ALL over again. I'd rather spend the time working on sequences, rather than the visualizer. LOR should probably stop advertising it as integrating with their software. LOR is a reputable company and HLD is not.

Unfortunately we don't have access to the HLD source code or licensing information so we can't help in that area. I realize that sequencing time is at a premium, but my best suggestion is to bite the bullet and start using the Visualizer.

I don't know if there are any contractual obligations so I can't promise anything. However, I certainly will bring up the removal of all references to HLD to Dan.

Mike,

I have S3, but all my stuff is in the HLD software :( I hate to have to go do it ALL over again. I'd rather spend the time working on sequences, rather than the visualizer. LOR should probably stop advertising it as integrating with their software. LOR is a reputable company and HLD is not.

It's not that they aren't reputable.

Take other software, for example Windows, many of us still use and prefer Windows XP, but it will soon also NOT be supported, so if your system crashes and you have to do a reinstall from old CD's, guess what, you won't be able to get updates or support for it in the very near future.

So would that also make Microsoft a company that isn't reputable, just because they stopped support of a product that is now out of date with the current offerings? No, it doesn't.

I have a LOT of OLD software on my system, I learned a long time back, keep a file of REGISTRATION numbers for each program, that is kept printed in a notebook. So if I have a system crash and need to re-install my OLD software again, I go to that notebook, find the software registration number and re-enter it. Now the problem with some software today is everyone wants to make it "go through the internet" to register it, those programs that are no longer supported that have additional features upon registering, well, you lose those features, because there is nowhere for the software to hook into because it isn't supported, the online links and other criteria are gone, so you have a limited version.

Been there and done that with software I currently use too. Yes, it is extremely annoying, it is also very frustratiing because YOU PAID for the software, paid for these features that you now can not use with the software. So even if you DID have a registration number, if the program no longer has any support, it may not even allow it to be registered. And yes, I've had some software just like that too that is old and outdated, although I preferred it, I had to trash it because I couldn't register it, so it would not work.

Personally this is why I detest ANY software company that IMPOSES and FORCES internet registrations, as sometimes you may not have internet access to be able to register or use the software, I found this the most dispicable way of coding a software package. A program should be able to be registered with its own codes OFF-LINE and NEVER, NOT EVER have to be connected to the internet or anywhere else to make it function 100%.

But unfortunately this is how just about everyone does it now, so once support has been revoked, when a company will no longer support their own products, this is what happens.

Personally I find it distasteful, rude and downright ignorant for companies to stop support of a product THEY created! Especially when it is still being widely used, it *should* remain to be supported period! Unfotrunately that's just not the way it is and there seems to be little to nothing, we, the consumers/purchasers of these software packages can do about it.

The issue I have, is that the website is still up for HLD, and they still sell the software. If the company was gone, and the site was gone, I'd look for an alternative pretty quickly. My though is, if I have to redraw all 200 channels on my visualizer, do I really want to do that in LOR, or would some other software be better? I mean, if I have to invest the time... where should that time be invested? LSP looks like it will import LOR stuff, plus I'm adding tons of RGB this year, and LSP seems to be better for that? I'm just thinking out loud here...

But on a side note, Mike, can you show me an example of what the visulaizer can do in S3?

Guest wbottomley

I see you're in a panic right now. For things about the Visualizer, click on the link at the top of the forums that say Tutorials. For LSP related info, you'll have to visit their support boards.

We don't have a lot in terms of Video, but the first 2 mins of this video shows some of the Vis:

http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/14627-whats-new-in-lor-3/

You can also take a 5 minute spin through the Visualizer Quick Start (the 'Tutorial') here:

http://www.lightorama.com/help/tutorial.htm

For a 'production' type video, take a look at this:

http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/20161-sorry-for-party-rockin-music-video/

It's a video capture of an actual Visualizer in action. Warning: It's not safe for work, so keep the volume down :)

Thanks Mike. I'll give the visualizer a shot since I already own S3. How well does it do RGB stuff?

It is RGB aware. It works very well with LOR RGB elements (CCR, CCB, CCF). Other RGB stuff will take some additional setup, but you can get it to work.

In fact, that LMFAO video is almost all RGB stuff (Cosmic Color Ribbons).

It's not that they aren't reputable.

In this case, I think that IS the case. Just go read some of the old posts about the past history with the software package, what the developer said he would do, etc etc...doesn't seem like this is a new problem.

I believe "not reputable" truly fits in this case.

As for the rest of yoru rant, I'm still reading...should be done later this evening.. :P:D

Guest wbottomley
Take other software, for example Windows, many of us still use and prefer Windows XP, but it will soon also NOT be supported, so if your system crashes and you have to do a reinstall from old CD's, guess what, you won't be able to get updates or support for it in the very near future.

So would that also make Microsoft a company that isn't reputable, just because they stopped support of a product that is now out of date with the current offerings? No, it doesn't.

But, they have Windows 7 and now 8 in place of Vista and XP. HLD on the other hand, hung up the phone and no longer supports their software which is their only one unlike Microsoft. No comparison between the two.

Soooooo.... anyone have a license for this product?? lol

Post has been DERAILED... lol

I guess this is your lucky day (if it works for you) I've had it so long I forgot that I had it since I never could get program to stop giving me errors and with virtually no support frim HLD I just trashed the program ........PM me you email and I'll send it to you....Good Luck

Ok.... so first of all, thanks Gene for sending me the info.

Second, I feel like a moron. I apparently went through this same crap last year and decided to convert to the S3 visualizer... I went back and looked at my file from last year, and BAM! I had already moved to the new visualizer. Last year must have been a rough year for me, for me to forget I did that. haha

Anyways, I see all my lights drawn on the pic of the house, but when I play it, only some of them light up on the visualizer. Anyone have any thoughts on how to fix this? I bet Mike can help!!