Light-O-Rama Forums

testing complete-Christmas spirit reborn

paralegalnc

so last night we tested our mega tree and a few other elements of our show using 15 channels. Thes that is small compared to some folks but we had 8500 + ligths is just those 15 channels. Anyway... we hooked up the fm transmittor and sat on the steps for 13 minutes just to watch. Now it wasn't the whole thing as we didnt decorate the roof or nothing.. but just to get the idea and make sure it all worked. 5 songs. I've been working on them since June and my husband on all the props. I can't tell you the feeling that came over me. Just in those four components, to see the star twinkle... the guitar and band play, the tree spin... in the live version and not my drawing in the visualizer.

I nearly cried. Obviously something came over my husband too cuz he said "yeah, have a contest this year you bastards".... referring to our neighborhood association. We always decorated... then they had a yard decorating contest. well cool...we're in! he built this huge train that puffed real smoke and a ferris wheel and polar bears and it was cool... the story theme was the coca cola bears hijacked the santa express and took it to their secret place for all the other bears.... but anyway... we didn't even make the top three. first place was a guy with a train set in his dining room. HELLO yard decorating competition! but he was dying of cancer... 2nd and 3rd place... animated deer .... a few blow ups... nothing really spectacular... nothing creative. so he hasn't really been into the whole decorating the yard thing for a few years... he does it...but his heart isnt in it. But now... he's telling me he wants to add a song, this element needs to do this and that, and what if we do this, and next year that...WTH! :)

So all and all...a very successful test run. and personally, I think my tree looks freakin' awesome!

Awesome. And congrats. Great feeling, isn't it? Just wait until you hear some kids sitting in the car with their folks. It's hard to believe, but it'll outdo your current feeling by 100 times.

• Like 1

last year we had the Mr. Christmas.. and there was this car that came every day. Little kid rolled down the window to stick his head out. they stayed a few minutes and drove off. But every day during the week. My son went to his internship this summer and a guy was going to pick him up for something and he gave him directions. He says "I know that street. There is this house........" It is an incredible feeling. just an incredible feeling of pride knowing that for months of sequencing and learning and trying different things.... it works! lol the problem is....it only feeds the addiction..lol No one will get Christmas gifts this year...need to save money for the after Christmas sales! lol actually... don't need to..kids dont get gifts this year. We're taking them on a cruise in May for my son's graduation. Their gift is an excrusion in the Bahamas...so we're good to shop! whooo hooo we went and bought like 12 new boxes of 300 count lights... we were the ONLY ones .... people were looking at us weird. They all had halloween costumes and candy in their buggy... we had Christmas lights...LOL

Guest wbottomley

Awesome. And congrats. Great feeling, isn't it? Just wait until you hear some kids sitting in the car with their folks. It's hard to believe, but it'll outdo your current feeling by 100 times.

You got that right. Get a real Santa out there and multiply it by 1000.

thought about that too! LOL and I MIGHT just have a guy...but don't know how much a santa suit rental is... have him pass out candy to the kids..

It's an amazing feeling isn't it? Congrats.

thought about that too! LOL and I MIGHT just have a guy...but don't know how much a santa suit rental is... have him pass out candy to the kids..

You can find Santa Suits on the web from under $100 up to close to $1000.

see my friend Jim would do it. He played Santa for the Moose Lodge...why wouldn't he do it for me?? he didn't like those folks down there much...but he loved the kids....and he loves me :) guess I might have to give him a call! that would be pretty cool... but that is assuming of course that I will get a steady stream of cars. some people say they gets lots and lots... that doesn't mean I will

LOL, If traffic is what you crave. Then do like a few of the old timers did. Get your local journal news paper to do a story on your decorations. Then watch the traffic get out of hands. Most of us who have heard of the horror stories from those few who did an interview. Have decided to avoid the news papers and refuse interviews for that reason. Just let your kids boast about it at school. Their class mates will pester mom or dad to do a drive by viewing. Little girl down my country lane is my biggest fan. I am sure she is part to blame for the traffic out front. Note mine are grown and have moved away, so they dont do much advertising.

ummmm....thanks Max-Paul but my daughter is married and my son is in college...4 hours away...lol. I WANT to get traffic because...A. .I know there are people that like lights as much as I do and they will enjoy it B. we are hoping people will donate ( as many say they do) as we are using it as a fundraiser to help a couple organizations C. I want to annoy my new neighbors and D. I have alot of time put in this...people better come watch! I won't mind some media coverage as I do want people to come for B. above...got to get the cars to come by... but .... I'm just really glad my husband has the spirit back.

Para,

Sorry I should have completed my thoughts. First :) I was thinking, you have created a monster in your husband :D . Looks like your going to get all of the support and then some from him. Hey, remember. I have been a few years more than you and I have seen and read a lot of post. Usually those of us here know that you do not want to annoy your neighbors. Thats one fast way to get your show shut down. So annoy away, then shoot your self in the foot. I an others will gladly buy your stuff at a cut rate discount.

Sorry I just get a bit worn out at this time of year. Seems a lot of newbies come in here and cause all kinds of drama with their last minute stuff. You are not one of them but my answers sometimes get a little pepper in them.

I agree with the above. Feels good now to see things coming together. But you aint seen nothing yet. Wait till you hear the awe and applause once others have seen it. Kind of chokes you up some.

lets bring all the light gaukers back to our shows i remember when i was a kid i loved going out and riding around looking at all the christmas displays LETS BRING THAT BACK we are special people with special skills lets use them to bring JOY and HAPPINESS to all that want it GO GO GO display people thanks for the stories LOL

GOD BLESS, JOHN

lets bring all the light gaukers back to our shows i remember when i was a kid i loved going out and riding around looking at all the christmas displays LETS BRING THAT BACK we are special people with special skills lets use them to bring JOY and HAPPINESS to all that want it GO GO GO display people thanks for the stories LOL

GOD BLESS, JOHN

I am going to post something in December to find out who is in NC and I am going to see all the ones around here. I LOVE LOVE LOVE lights. and Max... they won't shut me down because I will have my noise permit... me and the Chief of Police are buds so I got that covered ;) actually my neighbors are pretty cool and I really wouldnt want to annoy them...except for this one house. BUT they arent all that close but maybe traffic will just drive them crazy a little. I have an FM transmittor but will have a speaker in the front yard as well cuz frankly, I like to sit across the street and watch the lights myself (had Mr. Christmas the past couple years) And no, I am NOT a last minute person oh no, that's not my style. I've been working on this since June. But I have some OCD so ....

Get yourself a bunch of candy canes and when people show up to watch the show, go out and hand them out. I think last year I gave out about 2,000 or so. I now have a freezer full from last years after Christmas sale, so I'm ready.

gosh I hope I have that many cars. I am really trying to get the cars by to see the lights and to raise money for the organizations. I can only pray to get alot of cars. Was going to have people from the band set up and sell hot chocolate but first things first...got to get the thing set up lol and make sure it works.

Lol I feel stupid my house isn't in any neighborhood , and I get 0 traffic , I'm doing this for me and my kids , have just finished my first sequence carol of the bells and I think it rocks . Now I need to get it in visualiser so I can see it

This will be my 3rd Christmas in this neghborhood and the first two years, I've had static displays. That first year, only a few homes in this very nice neighborhood were decorated. Last year, there were more decorated. Now that this year will be my first with LOR, I'm hoping they all get a kick in the pants and ramp things up. There's only one other home in another neighborhood that does a huge display that's controlled and they get lots of traffic. Only a few people know that mine is coming but suspect or hope, that people will find out soon enough. I warned the neighbors already and of course, asked them if it was going to be Ok with them. They were cool.

Guest Don Gillespie

gosh I hope I have that many cars. I am really trying to get the cars by to see the lights and to raise money for the organizations. I can only pray to get alot of cars. Was going to have people from the band set up and sell hot chocolate but first things first...got to get the thing set up lol and make sure it works.

Be careful what you pray for, they will come to see your display as it sounds as if you are the only one with LOR, if you think you guys were amazed at the little show you just watched wait until everything is set up the WOW factor just got bigger, I am out every night from 5 untill 9 directing traffic, would I have it any other way, no way, I get to watch my display every night and I love it, passing out candy canes watching everyone who comes to see our display smile is what makes everything worth it, don't forget to video your display to show us what you did, we all like to watch other peoples displays as well as our own.