Light-O-Rama Forums

Extension cords

TDOVEL

First year doing this and wow... The amount of extension cords... Found that it appears that Ace hardware has them the cheapest. $7.50 for 25ft outdoor.. I'm sure the amps are low but using LED I don't need a lot.. Anyone else found them cheaper??

I don't know how much extension cord your going to need but if your going to need a lot I would invest in a 1000 ft roll of spt-1 wire and some vampire plugs .......Although this may not be cheap it would be less than buying premade cords and you also have the convenience of exact length for your cords....I know I'm at around 11,000ft of cord and I'm sure glad I went that route. Extention cord and add up quickly in this hobby.

If you're in the Northwest, try Wilco Farm store, its also branded as an Ace Hardware. If the cord is branded "Master Electrician" those 25 ft 16 gauge cords are for sale for just $2.50 several times a year. Watch for the ads, buy them by the case. That sale makes them cheaper than SPT when you figure male and female ends and cord. Also, this same store is clearing out Combo packs of one 16 gauge 50 ft cord and one 14 gauge 6 ft three outlet cord all for $5. I grab a few of those every time I'm in the store and they're on the shelf.

I only use extension cords to run power to my controllers,and then use spt wire to run all my channels. saves money time room and you can make cutom length runs.

I only use extension cords to run power to my controllers,and then use spt wire to run all my channels. saves money time room and you can make cutom length runs.

+1

+2

Hit the sales, Got my green cords form Lowes at $7.50 for a outdoor 25' when they're on sale.