Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR

Guest guest

Going to be a light junkie this year. What do you recommend? Have lots of lights and bought more mini's. Was going to go animated in 07 with LOR thinking 4 controllers 64 channels. Should I buy 3 ctb16pc-kits for $169 now then buy 1 LOR1602Ws kit with the cables and software to get started. Is that all I need?

CT -

Yep, that's all you'll need to get started. Well, that and a bunch of extension cords. Sounds like you have a plan. Lots of luck in the 2007 lighting season.

D.T.

Welcome to Planet Christmas..
Last year I was in your shoes. I started out with 64 channels.
Since the price is right I would buy 4 ctb16pc-kits the interface cable /adapter to match you computer port setup serial vs usb and the software. http://store.lightorama.com/spk800.html
This the Accessory Kit in one package.
Expect to use at least 1 extension cord per channel.
Are you going to transmit music? You'll need a transmitter... ?Music... ?Voiceover...?

would you recommend the LOR1602Ws kit or the CTB16PC-kit and software starter package. Is it cheaper to buy cables locally? Yes i would like music and will have to get a transmitter. Where's the best place and choices?

Looking at your display picture you would be fine with the PC kits (30 AMP Max) as long as you have a computer to run ir or use the MP3 player board. IF you want 10 more amps per board and the ability to run in stand alone mode go with the LOR1602Ws. But personal call on your needs ... if you want to list more we can give beter advice.

I would just buy the accessory kit from LOR you might save a couple of bucks elsewhere but if you buy everything together you can be made sure you have the right stuff. As far as transmitters go you get what you pay for. I don't recommend the Ramsey FM 10. The FM 20 ,FM30,and FM100 are great though. I tried a FM10 with poor results. Last year I used a modified Belkin and it worked great for me, although others will dispute their use. Do a search of this chatroom for transmitters and you'll find a lot of dialog on this subject.

By the way how many lights do you have? You mentioned a lot. You have to be carefull of loads on these cards. As well as loads on your house wiring.

Toymakr000 wrote:

By the way how many lights do you have? You mentioned a lot. You have to be carefull of loads on these cards. As well as loads on your house wiring.

Amen to that! Last year I thought I had everything set up just fine. Then I noticed some lights flickering in the house during a particularly "light intensive" sequence that I hadn't noticed before.

Upon investigating, I found my wife using a hair dryer on a circuit that was running 2 LOR units. :P