Light-O-Rama Forums

Connecting Two controllers together

Guest guest

Hello

I have ordered second 16 chann. controller box, I have been looking at the setup for the cards, I do have a question. Controller 1 is already hooked up, when controller 2 comes in (Tuesday) do I need to unhook controller 1 and setup Controller 2 ? I plan on connecting the controllers together with the phone cord port . Also when you assign a number to one of the controllers is that stored in Hardware or software, I hope this is not a dumn question :D but I am just really new at this stuff but loving it.

Your help will be appreciated

Ben

Ben Hopkins wrote:

Hello

I have ordered second 16 chann. controller box, I have been looking at the setup for the cards, I do have a question. Controller 1 is already hooked up, when controller 2 comes in (Tuesday) do I need to unhook controller 1 and setup Controller 2 ? I plan on connecting the controllers together with the phone cord port . Also when you assign a number to one of the controllers is that stored in Hardware or software, I hope this is not a dumn question :D but I am just really new at this stuff but loving it.

Your help will be appreciated

Ben

Are you buying the controllers that are currently onsale? (The CTB-PC versions?)

If so, these do not come with switches to set the channels. In order to set the channel of the controller, you will need to have one controller connected to the computer. With that one controller connected, use the Hardware Utility (That's my best guess, I haven't read the instructions) to set the channel.

Once the channel is set it will be stored on the controller. (Okay, so I have read the instructions, but I don't remember them. I'll bet this is right as well.)

Instructions for this and other controllers can be found at http://www.lightorama.com/support.html

Dale Leady wrote:

will the PC boards keep the ID number if unpluged or a power outage happens like a tripped breaker or some thing ??

Dale

I would be stunned, amazed and confused if they did not.

Dale Leady wrote:

will the PC boards keep the ID number if unpluged or a power outage happens like a tripped breaker or some thing ??
I assume the ID number is stored in the flash memory or EEPROM on the unit's CPU. This memory also likely holds the firmware, and is very reliable.

Hmmm,

Can I buzz in with a question?

I purchased a 1602W Showtime unit last year and this year I purchased 2 of the CTB16-PC units.

Do I have to hard wire each one to my computer first before putting them in the network?

I thought that I could just plug the CTB16-PC into the 1602W showtime unit and the Hardware controller would find it.
So, just to clarify that I should take each one of these new boards and assign it's Address before I put them in a network?

Thanks guys
Evan

NWSanta wrote:

Hmmm,

Can I buzz in with a question?

I purchased a 1602W Showtime unit last year and this year I purchased 2 of the CTB16-PC units.

Do I have to hard wire each one to my computer first before putting them in the network?

I thought that I could just plug the CTB16-PC into the 1602W showtime unit and the Hardware controller would find it.
So, just to clarify that I should take each one of these new boards and assign it's Address before I put them in a network?

Thanks guys
Evan

The boards probably have a channel assigned to them already. I'd be willing to bet it's channel 0 or 1. And of course, all of them would have the same channel.

So yes, you will need to set the channel before putting it on the network. (In this case it would mean connecting to the the computer directly first.)