Light-O-Rama Forums

Opening Night

Aaron Maue

Last year was our first year, so we didn't have to think about this, but we do this year, so thought I'd get your opinions.

Last year, opening night meant that we told our neighbors that they were invited to come over when we fired things up. Little did they know what they were gonna see. We made hot chocolate and cookies for everyone and stood out on our street, admiring the lights. No problem, 'cause nobody else even knew about the show.

This year, there's lots of people from the area who know about our show. We still want to do a special "opening night" show with just the neighbors, but when other people ask what night we're turning on the lights, we don't want to lie to them and tell them that it's the day after the "actual" first night. We'd also like to publish our schedule on our FB page, so people know. One option would be to do the neighborhood show at 5:30, for example, and tell the rest of the world that the public viewing will start at, say, 6:30 (show length will be about 35 minutes-ish).

So, yes... I do want my cake and eat it too, but I was wondering if anyone else does something similar to allow for an opening show for a smaller audience. If so, please share, as we're torn.

My lights go "live" to the public the Friday after Thanksgiving. I do a special lighting party for nieghbors, friends and some co-workers on the Saturday BEFORE Thanksgiving. I invite everyone over, we have snacks/drinks and then we all gather out front for a one time through the show showing. No one else knows about this one time showing so I have no crowds. It also serves as a sort of final dress rehearsal for my show. From feedback I can make changes or correct things not working. Setup is a bit more intense having to have it all be ready by the Saturday before Thanksgiving..... but it all ussually works!

Opening night has never been an occasion for us. We get thousands of visitors during the course of the season, but even as recently as last year there's been no one parked out front at 5:30 on Thanksgiving to see it officially fire up for the season.

I'll put my 2 cents worth in. My show starts on Black Friday at 6pm. I do a final once through on Thanksgiving evening after dinner, including videotaping the entire show.

I would say, do it for your neighbors the night before. Then you wouldn't be giving false info to anybody. Just a thought.

Thanks for the feedback, all. I hadn't planned on doing something a night (or even a week) "early" as a kind of final run through. I think we'll be going that route.

Now back to sequencing, er, I mean work.

We also do a neighborhood and friends gig too. Snacks, hot and COLD bevs, etc. We never really get any un-inviteds. I can see where the issue would be though. I think that if you do the neighborhood at 5:30 and go live after that you should be good. Ether way its your party and you can cry if you want too. :)

• 4 weeks later...

I do a "premiere" Night where we give out Hot Chocolate, and candy canes. Then Theres a short speech, and thank-you's, then the first show with our amazing speakers (Seriously... like a $20,000 system from our church, you can feel the subs in your chest); They can hear it cities over. This will be our 3rd year doing the premiere. Last year we had over 350 people!! I normally have 4 volunteers helping me set up chairs, block the street, interact with people. We start it at 7 because then it gives everyone a chance to grab dinner, and have some time to make it over. While they are coming in, I normally have behind the scenes videos from the setup, and am talking about them a little bit... BUT! That's just what I do :P. We have the luxury of living at the end of a street that has a wall at the end of it.

• The topic was locked