Light-O-Rama Forums

Ray Wu's black 4-core waterproof connectors have changed

MtDew4me

I had an "OH $#@&" :o moment earlier today when I pulled out the bag of 75 black 4-core waterproof connectors I received from Ray earlier this week. I ordered 100 of these back in Feb. These newest ones are huge compared to the ones I received in Feb the two are incompatible. :(

Ray generously offered to refund my money since his supplier said the older size is no longer available. this is great but it still leaves me with 6 27-channel controller and and basement full of display elements with connectors that would be incompatible with the extension cords.

Before I start undoing weeks of work, removing connector from some controllers and their elements and replacing them with the bigger connectors, does any know where I might find back connectors compatible with Ray's older smaller sized connectors?

The male connectors are approximately 11cm in diameter. They are slightly smaller then the white 4-core connectors I received with my Rainbow Flood board from Seasonal Entertainment which are approximately 13cm.

Thanks in advance,

Brandon

Edited by MtDew4me

Have you tried eBay?

I looked around but it's difficult to determine if they are compatible since Ray's stuff doesn't have any documentation or measurements. i was hoping something might be able to take the some of the guesswork out of it.

Oh sorry to hear that Brandon. If you want to sell them if you find the others let me know.

Thanks Brandon. This was especially frustrating considering what you and I went through getting this shipment to me. China to VA to Portland back to VA....

th

Brandon -

I have a new 50ct bag of these 4 core sets in white: http://www.aliexpres.../110528734.html

Are they the same?

If so, you're welcome to purchase them from me.

If not, keep searching for the right size.

-Ken B.

Ken, Thanks for the offer. However, I think these are too big. The spec says 13.5mm. The ones I need are something close to 11cm.

Cheers,

Brandon

Edited by MtDew4me

Sounds almost like we should combine all Ray Wu orders and get a container shipped next year. Might save a good amount of $$ on shipping costs :D

I just got some 3 core ones the other day from ray and they indeed are much larger than the 4 core ones I purchased last year but I just attributed that to being 3 core. Thanks for the heads up.

Note to self next time I order water proof connectors order 2x as many as I think I could possible use.

Note to self next time I order water proof connectors order 2x as many as I think I could possible use.

In my case, order 4 times as many as I "think" i'll need. that way i might actually have twice what I actually need. :-)

Ken, Thanks for the offer. However, I think these are too big. The spec says 13.5mm. The ones I need are something close to 11cm.

Cheers,

Brandon

11cm is 4.5 inches in diameter.

Do you mean 11mm?

I ordered the two core connectors from Ray and on all the male ends the red and black wires are reversed and don't match the female ends.

I've had a few connectors with incorrect wiring like that. I learned the hard way and now I test each one before using them.

I bought 3-core extension cords and cut them in two parts, used the female side for the controller dongles and the male to wire onto the pixels themselves.

Brandon, without a pic of what Ray sent (or what you're using).. if its the case-mounted sockets to accept cat5 plugs, and Rays are larger than what he sent before, can you not just drill out/enlarge the hole for the new pigtails and mount them in the cases? I dont use the pigtails, so I'm not following what the problem is.

Brandon, without a pic of what Ray sent (or what you're using).. if its the case-mounted sockets to accept cat5 plugs, and Rays are larger than what he sent before, can you not just drill out/enlarge the hole for the new pigtails and mount them in the cases? I dont use the pigtails, so I'm not following what the problem is.

TJ, Here's a picture. The new connectors are on the left (15mm) and the older ones on the right (approx 10mm).

post-8218-0-53251100-1348357800_thumb.jp

Looks like mine are the the ones on the left....15mm. Except mine are not from Ray...but they all pretty much made at the same factories :-/

In did purchase some from Ray last year and they were also 15mm. No real difference. Only 4-core cables I've seen smaller is from SE and I think those were 13mm. Never seen 10mm?

Ray is awesome! He just contacted me and told me he convinced his supplier/manufacturer to carry the old style smaller black connectors. WooHoo!!!

In return, I increased my order to make sure I have plenty for many years to come.

• 6 months later...

I know this is an older post, however I wanted to chime in.

I ordered 40 pairs in Feb (2013) and used all of them. I went back to my order on AliExpress and re-ordered another 30 pair. Not only are they different sized, but they are reversed in design. In one set the male is the threaded end and in the other set the female is the threaded end. Most certainly a (Censored)... moment

Don't blame Ray. Mine came from a different vendor and we have the same issues when repeat ordering. To add insult to injury the package was torn a little and it seems that one of the connectors fell out and one of them lost the screw cover, so I really only have 28 sets of incompatable connectors. Vendor is offering to make good on the 2 missing male connectors but the point is really moot.

On the bright side what I did with original 40 pairs is completed. What i need to do with the newer 30 pairs will still work. I just wont be able to swap out cables between the differing sets AND if something happens to one of the older sets (or newer sets).. I'm done.

GREAT intentions .. poor execution .. At $1 a pair with free shipping .. I should have ordered 400 not 40 .. live and learn..

Bob

• The topic was locked