Light-O-Rama Forums

Buying a new computer what do i need?

WeissWonderland

ok i spent my christmas and birthday money for years to come on a new computer. It has 10 gb 2 tera bites, 1gb gaming card and its a 3rd generation intel i5. Hooking it up now and getting started!!!!!!!!! :ph34r:

I picked up a computer for the garage on Ebay for like $100 shipped. There are companies which sell old leased computer for pretty cheap on ebay. Nothing special. Just a computer and a cheap monitor and I was ready to go. I mounted the computer on the wall out of the way. Had a TV in the garage which I mouted on the wall next to it and picked up a wireless mouse and keyboard which allows me to use it at my workbench when I need it but get it totally out of the way when I need the space.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Optiplex-755-SFF-Intel-Core-2-Duo-E6750-2-66ghz-2gb-RAM-/150905710180?pt=Desktop_PCs&hash=item2322ae6664

Though like others I still do my sequencing on my main computer with two monitors.

I'm using A sony vio when it first came out. Use it mainly for sequencing and display player, works great. Just have to put a fan under it. This is my third year and it get a little easier, not much but less headache. I purchased a toshiba monitor with usb power cord for the visualizer. This is my best investment and friend, I wish I had this last year. My wife told me to stop buying lights and extension cords. Attic full and outside storage full. Stop now or it will get out of hand. Aloha

Try the Asus G75VW. Not sure on your price range but that's what I am using. Can be had at circuit city for $1199.00. May seem pricey but it will run the visualizer and sequence without any lag. You can upgrade the unit later to 2TB of hard drive if needed but the 500GB hard drive and 12 GB ram will be fine as is. The laptop has a 17inch screen and easily runs another external monitor if you want. There are different price levels for the laptop but the entry level priced model is all that is needed.

Some may say it is overkill but I keep hearing about sequences lagging when using the visualizer but I have never had the problem and I am running 160 channels in my visualizations.

When you may be considering 2 computors (1 for creation and 1 for presentation) then this option may be close to the same cost in the end.

I have a Toshiba laptop I bought last year on sale at Staples like for $400 works great. What I do though cuz I guess people dont necessarily like using the touchpad..and it is clearly understandable with sequencing... I bought a wireless mouse and I click away. I sit in the livingroom with my husband, plug in my headset to listen to the music...yes I have to jump screens but I play the visualizer when I am ready. While I am clicking lights on and off I am watching or listening to my shows, spending time with my family so I don't get in trouble. :) because its time consuming. However I was thinking about moving the files to a desktop to run the show...I'd hate to not use my laptop every night for a month or more... though I could probably find something more constructive to do, but ...I'll get to that later I guess....I'm a newbie still.... so... and you will NEVER be done until the money is gone! once you start... your brain will keep working. everytime you hear a song you'll start seeing the mega tree spinning or the snowflakes chasing.... I think they need to change it from LOR to LOR A ...I'm Patty and I'm an addict lol

Tiger direct took over a lot of their stores. I was in one a few weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised by their stock of computer parts, mobos, processors, ram, etc..definitely better than what i recall compusa used to have, and at pretty reasonable prices for a retail storefront.