Light-O-Rama Forums

CCF vs Rainbow flood

JD321

Good grief! Maybe it's an omen, and I should have said "somewhat" lol

just messin Tim I can't speal worth a darn without spellcheck

Hey Tim , is that CCFs lighting your house in your avitar ?

Nope, CCF's didn't exist last year. I use a whole menagerie of floods - the ones you see there are 3 v-floods (on the bottom) and one Chauvet Colorado (on the peak/star). I also use 3 Rainbow floods (garage roof), and a Chauvet ColorSplash 200B (side of house), and last year used some MR-16's on the garage front that will be replaced this year with a Chauvet LEDSplash Jr and a cheaper clone.

Too much information? Short answer - you're mostly looking at vFloods in that picture, lol

I don't know if someone has video of this, (or possibly David Moore could chime in with more info) ....

However at the LSH Academy a 'flood off' was held after hours. There were many of them there including CCF's and Rainbow Floods. I can't remember last week, much less two months ago, but I will say from what I recall each of the devices that were there were going to be useful to someone. It really boils down to what you want to do with them in your display (or after your display year round.)

Here are some pictures I took of the CCF's in front of my house. Keep in mind that the brick on my home has red overtones, which skews the red light just a bit.

It really goes down to the effect you are wanting.

A CCF is more expensive and is brighter and will cover a larger area

A Rainbow flood will cover less area but you can have more for the same price and then get flowing rainbow effects across your house and is what i have used for the last 2 years.

So it really goes down to how much area you are wanting to cover with each flood light.

Don't want to hijack, but have to ask how the Holiday Coro floods compare to the Rainbow Flood, seems like they are somewhat similar.

Don't want to hijack, but have to ask how the Holiday Coro floods compare to the Rainbow Flood, seems like they are somewhat similar.

Someone (I believe it was Zach) did a video comparing them - the Rainbows were brighter by a factor of 20-30%. I haven't seen a Holidaycoro flood in person but knowing that they're built with 5050 modules I can believe those results.

Just want to chime in here for one thing. Don't forget that we have the basic Rainbow Floods, which need a controller and than the Rainbow Flood Extreme which uses constant current technology and much brighter LEDs. There is a clear difference between the two.

Check out our website (link in my signature) for videos and pictures comparing the two.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Greg