Light-O-Rama Forums

Synchronize Visualizer with Chanel Config?

Galen

I am not an expert at S3 and the visualizer, but know enough to get me in trouble/frustrated sometimes. Is there a way to synchronize the visualizer (with the fixtures and their channel settings) and the channel configuration in the Sequence Editor?

I'm adding two controllers this year, but that means moving quite a few of my "fixtures" to different controllers. I think I have to do this both in the Sequence Editor and the Visualizer, right? (And they need to match in order to avoid surprises :)). I try to name my fixtures as I do my channels - I don't know if this is common practice or not. But I would love to be able to call up the lists side-by-side (assuming the same names) and be able to check that they are both mapped to the same controller/circuit. As it is, I think I have to go into each fixture and do a lot of mouse clicks to get into and out of this within the visualizer part.

So, do others have a smarter way of doing this? Or have I not spent enough time learning these tools and there is something wonderful there to make my life easier that I haven't realized?

The best way to do this is if you kept the channel names IDENTICAL between the Sequence Editor and the Visualizer. If you did, you can bring the channel config into the Visualizer, tell it to match on name, and it will update the Network/Unit/Circuit of all the channels.

If you didn't keep the names identical, you can still import the channel config into the Visualizer, but you'll have to go into each fixture and 'rewire' the channels (by pressing the button and selecting the correct channel from the list).

Thanks, DevMike. I now see that this is the "Load LOR Reference File" at the bottom of the Edit menu. So I guess this means that if I need to make changes I should do them in the SE and then save the channel config. and then load it in the visualizer, tell it to match on names and I'm good to go (assuming the names are identical).

Correct. It's one of those chicken and egg things of which one you should do first.

On the wishlist is an export from the Visualizer to a Channel Config File. That way you could elect to start with either and move quickly into the other. Right now it's easy to create the channel config and export it to the Vis. However, the Vis is the planning tool, so there should be an export from it too.