Light-O-Rama Forums

Mega Tree Parts

Maine Lights

Where has everyone got the best price on mega tree parts. I am looking for the hook head and guy wires. Also what does everyone use to anchor the guy wires to the ground? Any help would be great.

I went to the Family dollar and got the large screw in dog leash anchors for about 3 bucks to hold my guy wires in. Don't know if they will work in frozen ground.

Edited by shfr26

Just don't follow the Jim S Winder method, well, not unless you want your mega tree horizontal, instead of vertical! :P

Sorry Jim, I just couldn't resist. ;)

I went to the Family dollar and got the large screw in dog leash anchors for about 3 bucks to hold my guy wires in. Don't know if they will work in frozen ground.

Pete - the key to using those spiral anchors successfully up north is to screw them into the ground BEFORE it freezes...

I knew if there was a way to do it, you would know. Thanks George, hope I get mine in before it freezes, or someplace freezes over.

Do not under engineer your mega tree. One good gust or windy night and you will be cleaning up a mess.

I have 80lbs of concrete in my base sleeve that is permanently in the ground. Each anchor has about 20lbs holding them permanently 2" under the ground. I dig the top off for the month of December.

You MUST have a great base and anchor. Then the rest is a little more forgiving. Not much!

• Like 1

Do not under engineer your mega tree. One good gust or windy night and you will be cleaning up a mess.

I have 80lbs of concrete in my base sleeve that is permanently in the ground. Each anchor has about 20lbs holding them permanently 2" under the ground. I dig the top off for the month of December.

You MUST have a great base and anchor. Then the rest is a little more forgiving. Not much!

Well I use the anchors I posted before, and I have tripped over them a few times, 100 plus pounds, falling over something I put up and failed to see in the dark. My tree was still standing, even tho I was not, so in my display it worked fine. :P :P

You need to consider weather condions in your area.

Pete - the key to using those spiral anchors successfully up north is to screw them into the ground BEFORE it freezes...

...and don't attempt to remove until after it thaws. Somewhere in my yard are several of these, broken off just below ground level :lol:

I actually prefer the "giant tent pegs" that you can get at the big-box store for a few bucks each. They're about 12" long and very sturdy. And with a little coaxing they will come up in frozen ground. Usually :)

Either got my parts or ideas for my parts from here:

http://www.christmaslightshow.com/outdoor-Christmas-tree-decorations.html

My hook head is some PVC fittings with hooks bolted into it for a topper. My tree is only 10' tall so I didn't need to have the style that winches up.

My base is just like they sell, but I made mine myself using 2"x2" 1/4" wall tubing for the bottom and the 30" long "legs" that slide into it.

I also use the twist in dog stakes for securing the guide wires.

i TOO used the christmas light show set up...I bought the big dog chain ground screw anchors from DollarGeneral for 2.25 a piece, which when doing a spiral tree, needing 16 plus 4 more for guy wires, I was happy to find them at that price. For actual wire/steel i used this site http://www.pambinaimpex.com/servlet/StoreFront very very reasonable...

I initially bought my Mega tree from Christmas Light Show. It works well, but my front yard is not level and using the CLS base, caused the entire tree to lean. After seeing CMOORE60's setup I incorporated some of his ideas.

I rented an augur and drilled a hole in the ground and installed a socket which the center pole fits into. A cover goes over the hole in the off season. The socket is made of PVC parts found at Home Depot. This makes the entire tree about 2' shorter, but, the CDI LED 70 ct strings fit well.

I permantently installed the guy wire anchors and set them low enough so that the lawn mower will not hit them. This is an example of the ground anchor, they can be found in various sizes at True Value Hardware stores. http://www.amazon.co...s=ground anchor

I use turn buckles to tension the guy wires once the pole is up. The turn buckles also allow me to adjust the tension until the is pole straight.

Jerry

Edited by LORisAwesome

Last year I just used pvc pipe for my 10' tree and my homemade 5 way connector (3 way T attached to a 4 way connector) for the base using 5 foot pipes for legs it did not fall over but it looked like it wanted to and I really dont want a horizontal mega tree

so this year I am using metal pipe and the metal pole stand that christmaslightshow.com is selling now I just have to findsome one that can sell me the pipe the cheapest with delivery or I will have to find some one to deliver it

Edited by TitusCarnathan

With the CLS stuff, you still need to purchase the center pole. (It would cost a fortune to ship). I got mine at either Lowes or Home Depot. Don't remember which. They come if 10' sections. I have a pickup truck, so I just put them in the back.

I think a plumbing supply house may have or be able to get a 20' pole.

As far as delivery, do you have a friend or neighbor with a pickup truck that might be willing to lend a hand?

Jerry

I ordered it from a local hardware store they will deliver it for a couple bucks I would rather support a local business anyway

the pipes only cost a couple bucks more than lowes

I have two 12' trees with 16 strings each. I got a 4" PVC blind flange ( it has 8 bolt holes), clipped in some spring gate carabiners, drilled a couple of holes for screws to pass through and mounted it to the top of the trees. I went with the 'biners as the wind whistles pretty good where I live and I had some strings blew off the hooks I had used two years ago during an ice storm. The 'biners have enough room to hold three or four strings.

I'm thinking about getting their 10ft kit... what do you guys think of it? My only concern is wind as we have gusts that come through most afternoons so I'm going to need to install some good anchors.