Light-O-Rama Forums

spt-1 spt2

james campbell

I went to Menards today(about an hour drive from my place) they have spt 1 wire but ti's 18 gauge,is this the right stuff. looks really thin to me but said it is rated to 10 amps.I used spt 2 last season 16 gauge,is there also a 16 gauge spt-1?

I personally have only ever seen/used 18g in spt1 or spt2 so yea that should be the right stuff.

Both of these are 18g and Ive ordered from both in the past and never had a problem.

http://www.christmaslightshow.com/SPT-1-18AWG-Wire-1000-feet.html

http://wlcventures.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7&products_id=69

yup thats the stuff, Home Depot has it on the shelves as well. You save more by buying in bulk online but like in my situation last year I needed about 60ft more at the last minute and having a retailer near by that keeps it in stock is a huge plus.

The only difference between SPT 1 and 2 wire is the thickness of the insulation.

Just remember, SPT1 vampire plugs may not work very well with SPT2 wire, due to SPT2 thicker insulation, and in my opinion, the longer teeth on SPT2 rated vampires can creat a unsfe sitiuation if used on SPT1 wire.

In the interest of safety, please be sure the vampires you are using are correct for the wire you are using.

(I know, wasn't the original question asked)

The only difference between SPT 1 and 2 wire is the thickness of the insulation.

Just remember, SPT1 vampire plugs may not work very well with SPT2 wire, due to SPT2 thicker insulation, and in my opinion, the longer teeth on SPT2 rated vampires can creat a unsfe sitiuation if used on SPT1 wire.

In the interest of safety, please be sure the vampires you are using are correct for the wire you are using.

(I know, wasn't the original question asked)

thanks John I used 16 gauge last year and did not know that 18 gauge will also work,so yea hats gets confusing.I knew the insulation was thinner on spt-1 but with the lighter wire and thin insulation man it looks tiny Edited by james campbell

Regardless of the guage of the wire, SPT1 does look thinner then SPT2, because the insulation is thinner.

and the best thing about SPT1 in my opinion is it weighs a whole lot less ;)

Guest wbottomley

Regardless of the guage of the wire, SPT1 does look thinner then SPT2, because the insulation is thinner.

and the best thing about SPT1 in my opinion is it weighs a whole lot less ;)

And cost a lot less as well.

thats why I am looking at it ,last year I got lucky and found spt-2 16 gauge wire,got 500 foot for 35 bucks,not so much this year. now I am more informed ans know that I need the the right spt size as well as the gauge size for my plug ends

Edited by james campbell

• 2 weeks later...

Bought 1000' of SPT-2 and plugs. Hope to have less orange running thru the yard. Wife was insistent on using outdoor extension cords for everything the last couple years. Glad I was able to change her mind.

Does this require any soldering to connect the plugs to the wires?

Torqumada

Nope they have 2 sharp teeth "vampire plugs" in the plug that punchers the wire to make the connection.

I may have to look at this, then. I had planned on posting a question about spt wire. Is it just a preference to use one over the other, or is there a situation where one should be used over the other?

Torqumada

spt wire is a great way to make extension cords,it will handle 8 to 10 amps depending on the length, no real advantage of one versus the next,as stated before the 18 gauge spt 1 is cheaper and lighter.I did learn alot from this,I always thought spt wire was 16 gauge

Hey James,

If you are using the 18 ga wire for individual channels. Then remember this. If you have the heavy duty heat sink. The Triac is rated for only 8 amps. So, as long as you do not exceed the rating of the Triac, the 18 ga wire will handle the current. I have a few hundred feet of 16 ga wire to run the main power daisy chain beween controllers.