Light-O-Rama Forums

Life Size Skeleton Prop.

JF1993

I happen to see my shopko had one of these guys for $50, and thought it was really neat. Does anyone have something similar to this. If so is it worth the money. I thought it would be fun to have it sit in my car for Halloween lol.

http://www.spirithalloween.com/product/Lifesize-Pose-N-Stay-Skeleton/

It looks to be pretty much like the ones available at Garden Ridge for $50. It works well, particularly in dimly lit areas. It has long machine screws at the joints, which allows for a decent bit of poseability. Not quite a Bucky, but great for the price.

If it's still there next time I go to shopko I think I might have to buy it. It looked like a good deal, but they only had one leftover from last season

Yep, nice skeleton.

Seen them at Spirit in store, but felt it was way overpriced, sadly, I think many of their props are way over-priced for the quality of many of them. Just read a lot of the reviews on their site and you'll see what I mean.

And yes, seen those at Garden Ridge as well, and is probably where I'd buy one for $50 as opposed to $79.99¢!

But I'm "cheap" anyway! :P:D

My town got it's first Spirit store last year, and they are already setting it up for this year. They do have a big selection of animatronic, but I think that all their animatronic props are a little phony looking. And the prices... WOW! lol they charge a lot for that stuff. I'm still considering that skeleton prop from Shopko though. I'll have to check out the reviews on it before I go out to the store though.

My town got it's first Spirit store last year, and they are already setting it up for this year. They do have a big selection of animatronic, but I think that all their animatronic props are a little phony looking. And the prices... WOW! lol they charge a lot for that stuff. I'm still considering that skeleton prop from Shopko though. I'll have to check out the reviews on it before I go out to the store though.

We've had them in my area for a long time now, think they opened them here sometime in the early 90's, not sure of the exact date or time, just know I go there every year to browse around and see what's new, then look for the same item at Wal-Mart or other places that have the item cheaper.

If I can't find it anywhere else, I might buy the item from them, but I read the online reviews on whatever it is first. That helps me to make or break the decision on buying it.

If there are no reviews on the item {like new for this year for example}, I won't buy it. As I won't be the guinea pig for testing something that may break or fail after a few uses, which I've seen a lot of complaints about on some of their animated props, as well as other items in their review area on other items they sell.

But it's a great store for getting ideas from.

Plain and simple Orville you get what you pay for in animation, do you expect a $100 animated prop with plastic cogs to last as long as a $2000 pneumatic professional prop. And its simple to get coupons from them, I have several 20-25% off coupons now.

Doing Wizard of Oz theme this year, Spirit came out withthe Wicked Witch prop, looks very good up close, but it's$199. Even with the 20% off single item, it's still $174 out the door. And the servo doesnt run that fast anyway.. I'd def. have to hack it, replace the servo & board to run faster.. the mask by itself is very good tho. A lot of Spirits prop look good, but I agree, the prices are too high. Someone on FB posted Walgreens is carrying good quality skellys for $39. Didnt say if they were blowmolds or foam-core..

Edited by TJ Hvasta

Plain and simple Orville you get what you pay for in animation, do you expect a $100 animated prop with plastic cogs to last as long as a $2000 pneumatic professional prop. And its simple to get coupons from them, I have several 20-25% off coupons now.

Got to disagree. I have a CHEAP Wal-Mart Animatronic 5 foot tall Skeleton I purchased back around Halloween 1991 for $59.99¢, it dances and sings and is still going strong today. Been using him every year since I bought it. I bought a spirit animatronic in 1992, been so long now I forgot what it was, but I do remember I paid at the time somewhere around $300+ for it. It lasted 2 Halloweens and then ended up in the trash.

I don't do pneumatics as I don't want to fool with air tanks or the noise those props make.

But the cheap plastic and cog dancing and singing skeleton I bought in 1991 for $59.99¢, again, still works 100% today and he will in all probability be out on my porch Halloween night for 2012. So I can't complain about plastic cogs and gears, this one has held up and weathered the time very nicely. 1991-2012, that's 21 years of service, in car years that'd make it an "antique". So I can't complain about "cheap animatronics" i've bought in the past. Have a dancing/singing 5" Santa. But he doesn't dance any more, he would if I want to cut his suit open and replace a belt that broke. But I don't use him that way, I plug in a stereo cable and let his head move side to side and mouth move to the music. But his belt broke last year, and he was also bought in 1991 at Christmas from Wal-Mart, again, at the time, $59.99¢ and he'd still work great if his drive belt hadn't worked broken. But that rubber belt lasted longer in him than most fan belts on a car do!

So you can say what you want about high priced props, they aren't always what they are cracked up to be either. So I'll stick with "cheap", it works for me.

Edited by Orville

Doing Wizard of Oz theme this year, Spirit came out withthe Wicked Witch prop, looks very good up close, but it's$199. Even with the 20% off single item, it's still $174 out the door. And the servo doesnt run that fast anyway.. I'd def. have to hack it, replace the servo & board to run faster.. the mask by itself is very good tho. A lot of Spirits prop look good, but I agree, the prices are too high. Someone on FB posted Walgreens is carrying good quality skellys for $39. Didnt say if they were blowmolds or foam-core..

I saw her today in the store very good looking witch.and Wizard of Oz was the first thing I thought also.

yeah, she was hawt! wonder if she's single, or has a sister.. oh, yeah, right.. she did have a sister.. she's under Dororthy's house.. :)

Orville, your Santa (a Gemmy) is the same model I found at Goodwill lat year, paid $9 for it, needed the 1" drive motor O-ring, purchased at HomeDepot. I too use it just by feeding audio into it, not make it dance.. the older Gemmys work (still do) great, the newer ones (last 6yrs or so) last a couple yrs then break/quit. as evidenced by my find in Goodwill last year. If this one (electronics) quit, I'll put in my own board/servos and turn him into a pirate..

Edited by TJ Hvasta

I wish we had a Target out here in Dixon. I think the nearest one is around 50 miles out of town or so. I've been so busy lately that I really haven't had the time to check if Shopko still has any of the skeletons in stock. I think they we're left over from last year, and Shopko was just trying to get rid of them.

• 3 weeks later...

I saw something funny at Menards yesterday, they have an airblown snowman with a plackard that says 'BRRR' and the the snowman shivers! It's very cool! :ph34r:

• The topic was locked