Light-O-Rama Forums

Can I run this off my controller?

Linda

Holiday Ferris Wheel Motor Kit

Add the wonder of animation to our Holiday Ferris Wheel display with this complete Motor Kit.

Includes one hard-working 12 volt DC, 12 rpm synchronous gear motor with 40 in lb torque, four motor mounting nuts and washers, one AC/DC adapter, two gear to axle mounting brackets with screws, one connecting link and two pieces of special 3/4" thick plywood for cutting the wood gears.

I would like to be able to put this on one of my channels so I can turn it off and on with each sequence. Would this pull too much electricity or should I just plug it in to a regular outlet and let it run the duration of the show since there is not that much time lapse between songs?

I'd personally just plug it into a regular outlet, and run the lights with LOR.

Motors aren't recommended loads for LOR controllers. If you really want to control one, you can use a relay.

Hi Linda,

Ok, a couple of questions. By controller I presume that you are talking about an AC controller versus a DC controller. Now sounds like you have an AC to DC converter to supply 12V DC. This in turn going to a speed controller that will actually feed the DC motor that does all of the work. Linda, I dont know how much electrical back ground you have. You could get a solid state relay that is driven by the controller output and that would turn power on and off to the 12 volts to the speed controller. Turning power on and off to the AC to DC power supply can cause surges that are hard on the P.S. and the speed controller.

• Like 1

I actually unhooked all my motorized deer for fear of damaging my controllers but thats just my opinion.

I've run motors for deer on one channel for 5 years (2 motors for 4 years). The controller has never had a problem.

I also run a 24v transformer on a channel. One year I accidentally had a sequence that dimmed that channel. The controller never had a problem, but it destroyed the transformer.

I unhooked all the motors on my deer for the last 3 years.

Last year I accidently hooked one up and it screwed up the lights!

Unplugged it and it was fine.

This year I have removed the motors (trying to figure out what to do with them now).

I would use relays to run the ferris wheel.

I'm thinking about running them off a different outlet that's on a timer and set to shut down when the show shuts down. It seems like the simplest solution to me. Now if I could just find a 12 volt motor cheaper that $65.00 I'd be set. Anyone have any ideas where I can find one cheaper than that?

Windshield wiper motors at your local auto scrap yard. Dont know if this is big enough to drive what you have in mind, but that comes to mind as a possible place to look at. Good luck.

Now if I could just find a 12 volt motor cheaper that $65.00 I'd be set.

Why do you need a 12 volt motor? You can get a usable motor from a Tater Twister for less than $20 at a garage sale.

I'm making this ferris wheel http://www.thewinfieldcollection.com/product/Chirstmas_Ferris_Wheel_Project_Plan/All_Motorized_Designs and it calls for a 12 volt DC, 12 rpm synchronous gear motor with 40 in lb torque. I need a motor that will turn it at least 10-12 rpm. I'm not sure what kind of weight it will have on it but the ferris wheel is made of wood. We have one we made out of pvc pipe last year, but I wanted to make the one on Winfield website because I'm also making the carousel they have this year http://www.thewinfieldcollection.com/product/Christmas_Carousel_Woodwork_Plans/Christmas_Motorized_Designs

If you scroll down it shows the motor they sell for it. If a wiper motor would work I could save some money.