Light-O-Rama Forums

Are these hackable

Torqumada286

Not this year. This is my first year using LOR, so I am trying to stick to basic things. However, I like to plan things ahead. I found out about the GE version of these and am planning on keeping an eye out for those when they go on sale for use later. If these can be hacked too, they are a cheaper alternative to the GE product and I might be able to pick these up if they go on sale.

Torqumada

I bought about 25 boxes of these exact same lights after last Christmas(75% off at $6.25). Could not get myself to buy them at $24.99 a box before Christmas at Walgreens. Is there a standard location I find the pixel chip and then how do I identify it?

I am in the same boat as Torqumada, I won't complicate my first year with LOR by adding E681 but I am looking to add for 2013.

At work right now but as soon as I get a chance to look at them I can post what I find.

I am not sure exactly how far Martinex, GA is from CLeveland, TN. You could buy 1 box and bring it to the Tennessee mini this coming weekend and we could figure out if they are hackable or not. I wouldnt mind knowwing myself.

I appreciate the invitation. The TN Mini was the closest event so far that I could attend, since we are real slackers here in GA :D and the Carolina events are biannual. It's less than a 5 hour drive, but I just don't have the free time to do that right now. I have to work 24+ hours Friday and then again on Monday.

Torqumada

if it helps those are made by Gemmy,I have a couple strings myself. I do beileve they can be controlled but I have not done it

Edited by james campbell

Not this year. This is my first year using LOR, so I am trying to stick to basic things. However, I like to plan things ahead. I found out about the GE version of these and am planning on keeping an eye out for those when they go on sale for use later. If these can be hacked too, they are a cheaper alternative to the GE product and I might be able to pick these up if they go on sale.

Torqumada

Note: All of the following is my personal opinion

If these are Gemmy, then I remember reading on another forum that someone had tried to use them with their E68x controller and that they are different then the GE CE pixels. I cannot for the life of me think that anyone would spend the time and effort to decode the data stream then design a controller and write firmware for a consumer grade pixel at this time.

Since you haven't even bought a controller yet (the E681 has been replaced with the E682 now) and with the limited dimming range of the GE CE pixels, I wouldn't bother to even buy the GECE either. Understand wanting to plan ahead, but in my opinion buying the lowest performing pixel type a year in advance just doesnt make since to me as fast as pixel technology is advancing and as the prices of the higher level but older pixel types continues to plunge.

Pixel technology is rapidly advanceing and even the higher level pixels that were hot last year thinking 6803, 1804) are almost dirt cheap now because very few people are buying them anymore due to their "Lo Tech" functions.

The following are the dimming levels for some of the popular pixel types

GECE 4 bit 16 dimming levels

6803 5 bit 32 dimming levels

1804 6 bit

1806 8 bit 256 dimming levels

1809 8 bit 256 dimming levels

3001 12 bit 4096 dimming levels

2811 "todays" hot pixel - don't remember the specs at the moment.

Who knows what pixel will be released "tomorrow" then the prices on all of the above will continue to drop drastically

I had a couple strings of the GECE and when I hooked them up to my E681 and saw how poorly they preformed compared to even the 6803 (which I also got rid of in favor of some of the better performing pixels) , I threw them (GECE and 6803) in the trash can.

You can do whatever you want but my advice would be to stay away from the "lo tech" consumer grade stuff, as even todays more expensive pixels will continue to drop in price by this time next year and will run circles around the GECE stuff

Once again, just my personal opinions about what works for me in my display.

geeeee John tell us how you really feel :) ,I only plan on using mine around my garage as is no hacking,I agree with you if you want pixels then buy some good ones

Nope. Near Charlotte where there's much more to go see & do.

Ahh, that is even better. That's only a couple of hours away from me. The drive is easy and the traffic isn't bad.

Torqumada