Light-O-Rama Forums

Hardware or Software problem

Denise Brunner

Hi Brian,

I finally am getting some time to work on my display and am having some problems with getting the CCR's to perform as I would llike. I am not sure if the problem is with the software or the hardware. I know I have two of the six CCR's that need to be returned due to bad pixels, however overall all 6 do not work as per the software. It appears to be correct in the visualizer, but the ccr's do not display what I wrote when I run the sequence in the sequence editor. If I use the test pattern on the controller using the reset button, all looks OK. If I use the Hardware console, it looks ok, but when I use a sequence weird things happen. When calling for all stripts to be on they start all on then drop down to three, scrolling lettering is different color than programed, when solid color is sometimes selected, I will get a rainbow pattern.

I have 6 (5 now - one in to repair/replacement) mounted on 1" square plastic netting (16" X 18'), that will hang on the front of a lighting truss. It has never been "rolled up in anything less that an 8" spool, and has never even been outside. I have the file made with the superstar software, the file in the squence editor and the visualizer file. I also have a video of what is happening along with the laptop screen in sight of the ribbon display. The computer is a HP running windows 7 with a intel core 13 processer. I am running two networks one for my 6 CCR's and one for the balance of the display, DMX and LOR.

I have already done firmware upgrades on all CCR controlers and updated my software to latest version 3.7

Please let me know what files will help you to "see" what is going on and what I can do to correct my problem.

Thanks for your help.

Denise Brunner

Make sure the CCRs are configured properly. You do this from a configuration screen in the hardware utility. There is a tutorial video that covers this. Go to the light-o-rama main page and click on the "Support" tab at the top and then select "video tutorials." The superstar tutorials are at the bottom of this page. Click on the "SuperStar CCR configuration" tutorial. The part you will be interested in starts at 6 minutes into this tutorial.

Hi Brian,

I finally am getting some time to work on my display and am having some problems with getting the CCR's to perform as I would llike. I am not sure if the problem is with the software or the hardware. I know I have two of the six CCR's that need to be returned due to bad pixels, however overall all 6 do not work as per the software. It appears to be correct in the visualizer, but the ccr's do not display what I wrote when I run the sequence in the sequence editor. If I use the test pattern on the controller using the reset button, all looks OK. If I use the Hardware console, it looks ok, but when I use a sequence weird things happen. When calling for all stripts to be on they start all on then drop down to three, scrolling lettering is different color than programed, when solid color is sometimes selected, I will get a rainbow pattern.

I have 6 (5 now - one in to repair/replacement) mounted on 1" square plastic netting (16" X 18'), that will hang on the front of a lighting truss. It has never been "rolled up in anything less that an 8" spool, and has never even been outside. I have the file made with the superstar software, the file in the squence editor and the visualizer file. I also have a video of what is happening along with the laptop screen in sight of the ribbon display. The computer is a HP running windows 7 with a intel core 13 processer. I am running two networks one for my 6 CCR's and one for the balance of the display, DMX and LOR.

I have already done firmware upgrades on all CCR controlers and updated my software to latest version 3.7

Please let me know what files will help you to "see" what is going on and what I can do to correct my problem.

Thanks for your help.

Denise Brunner

Suggesting a regular chase one unit at a time without pasting. How are your strips laid out?

Another thing to verify is in HWU that you have the correct options set. Unit mode normal, Channel mode triples, speed 8.

Are you sure there are no effects in the macro channels? Chasing or Pasting across the macro channels will mess it up if you have not defined the150 pixels as a CCDevice.

Brian, I believe I do have them configured correctly, am going to view the video now again to check. Bob, I have done this, done with a reqular chase, when it hits blue two of the ribbons have a completely different shade of blue - almost aqua. When I switch controllers (plugging the ribbon into a different controller) the problem seems to follow the controller. Before you ask, yes I did a firmware update. No macro channels. The strips as I noted above are mounted (loosely with wire ties)on a 1" X 1" plastic netting, laid out flat.

Denise

As ItsMeBoBo indicated, you could do some commands with manual sequencing in the LOR Sequence Editor, some chases or even solid colors. That would confirm that things are connected and configured properly.

When using the SuperStar software, are you in CCR mode, or Visualization mode? If you are in visualization mode it means you have imported a visualization file.

I checked the video and I believed that I had all the controllers set to normal (the way four of the six came) found 2 that were set to legacy. Made the switch and it now appears to be working correctly. Like I said I have the strips mounted on a 1"X1" netting, none of the wire ties are pulled tight, and during the off season will be storing them on a 8" diameter roll. Do you think the strips will be ok????

Thanks for all the help. Been working on this for three days, searching the fourms for help but could not find what I needed. You both hit the nail on the head. Looks great except for the scrolling of the text.... will work on this.

Hugs,

Denise

Hmm if the problem follows the controller.. but the controller is set up correctly.. then I think its the commands sent to it.. or said in another way.. its the config file. Are you sure you didnt accidently move some channels around?

Glad you got it figured out.

As for the scrolling text, it will help to have the text be only one of the base colors, that is, red, green, or blue. This reduces the number of commands needed to scroll the text. Scrolling slowly helps also, but it will still not look great.

If you look at my Jingle Bell Rock sequence you will notice that I don't really do scrolling text. Most often I do stationary text, or I have it scroll fast and then stop at the edge. When you see it scroll fast you don't expect to be able to read it, then when it stops at the edge your eye sees what it is. Also, if you do scroll, it looks better to scroll perpindicular to the direction of the text. In other words, if the text is horizontal, then scrolling vertical looks better. This is because it doesn't have to travel as far and since most letters are structured more up and down, than left and right, it requires fewer commands to update the text if it is scrolling that direction.

Not sure if all that made sense, but one point I am agreeing with is that scrolling text in a marquee manner is what most people want to do, but unless you do it slow and with red, green, or blue text, it doesn't look real good.

What you have said above makes perfect sense. But I still have an issue with texting. It appears that the image is reversed, like mirrored. Tried moving the controller location in the layout section from right to left etc. but can't get it to veiw correctly. I have the controllers on the right and the unit numbers from top down.

It sounds like you have a horizontal matrix, like the one I have for Jingle Bell Rock. The controllers can be on the left or the right, but the unit ids for the controllers are required to start at the bottom and increase as you go to the top. Hopefully this shouldn't be too hard to change, you should be able to plug the ribbons into different controllers to change the order.

Sounds like the issue I talked to you about Brian. Where the text is mirrored. You mentioned you had it fixed already on your computer. Was this fix rolled out with 3.7.0?

Changing the plugs for the controller is not an issue, but what about the placement on the visualizer since that is also incorrect

Are you using an imported visualization file? I didn't think you were, because when you use an imported visualization file you are in "Visualization mode" and the Layout dialog box will gray out the controller location when you are in visualization mode.

In CCR mode, you set the controller location, but in visualization mode the location of the controller for each ribbon is obtained from the imported visualization file.

Click on the Tools menu and select Layout. In the Layout dialog box, does it say you are in CCR mode or Visualization mode.

Also, look at the top titlebar of the program, what version does it say you are running?

Brian,

You mentioned that the scrolling text not looking to good. If I increase the number of ribbons to 8, will that look better??? One of the things I was hoping to do was to display the name to each song.

Denise

When I say scrolling text sometimes doesn't look good, what I meant was that sometimes it can look jerky because the hardware has a hard time keeping up with the software. But just the other night I was doing some testing and text looked better than I remembered.

You can definitely introduce your songs with the name of the song. Try it and see how it looks on the actual CCRs. If it looks jerky, using all red text will help. Having the text scroll slower will help also. Realize that to scroll slowly you lengthen the time duration of the text action. You can also keep the words stationary and just do one or two words at a time.

when I was running my 12 CCR matrix with 1-485 adapter back in 2009, I scrolled my text from top to bottom with stop for song artist, then bottom to top with stop for title, and as Brian said using one of the primary colors R G or B, now I have 3-485 adapters and everything is fluid