Light-O-Rama Forums

Colored rope light covering

blklabman_1

I hope some one can help me with this. I've got a rope light Nativity set. with a burned out section. with a couple of colors out. It has different colored semi- tranparent coverings. (k

Kinda like shrink wrap tubing). Any Ideas where I could some???

Thanks,

Rick

The easiest way may be to re-string the whole thing with new rope light. I would buy a roll of 3/8 (or 1/2) clear rope light and then paint the sections with Krylon X-Metals paint.

X-Metals is KEY. Other paints may remain sticky, or require additional coatings. X-Metals paint will dry within 10-15 mins, doesn't flake off, and colors nicely.

When I read your post, monokote poped into my mind. Do you basically have a clear string and then different colored coatings on different parts of the string?

Look at your local hobby shop for model airplane covering called Monokote. Last time I used it, it was a heat shrink able sheeting in transparent colors.

I found this, not sure if it will work for rope lights, but like I said, it poped into my head from some brain cell stored long ago when I did RC planes..

http://www.wikihow.com/Apply-MonoKote

Mike

I hope some one can help me with this. I've got a rope light Nativity set. with a burned out section. with a couple of colors out. It has different colored semi- tranparent coverings. (k

Kinda like shrink wrap tubing). Any Ideas where I could some???

Thanks,

Rick

Monokote now days is pretty pricey.. I've used tge monokote spray paint.. just need to clean the surface really really well.

A friend of mine used the transparent gift wraping material. Works great and cheao. Since there is no glue to it you must apply 3m77 to it. I am not sure how long it lasts, as he did this this year. And it takes time.