Light-O-Rama Forums

Halloween Firestick Topper Ideas?

scw2u

Looking for suggestion on something to top a 10' firestick that will be part of a Halloween display. Stars are great for Christmas, but looking for something different. Not having any inspiration for something new. Spiderweb? Not constrained by channels needed or weight/wind concerns (will be able to anchor to higher points).

Me, I'd probaby go to Spirit Halloween Superstore {if you have one in your area - one of ours just opened} and get some of those "Glow in the Dark Skulls" they have for around $6.99¢. They are translucent, so light would illuminate the entire skull from the inside!

I'd drill out the bottom of the skull and insert a C7 socket and bulb in it, then when the bulb lights, the skulls will light up really nice and bright, then when the bulb fades or turns off, the skulls will still glow a little bit afterwards. I think that'd look pretty cool.

I'm not using firesticks, but going to see about getting some of these for my cemetery scene, and then doing this with them, either by mounting them to small stakes just above ground level, or maybe even have some on ground level, still debating which option or both I want to go with. LOL

• Like 1

I 2nd Orville's idea about a skull but think about installing DMX LED dumb modules instead of one color incan or LED lights.

I've done this to a 'choir' of pumpkin heads and now I can change the lighting color to match the mood of the music or give each pumpkin a color 'character'. I used 3 modules per pumpkin (3 LED per module= 9 LED per pumpkin)

Have FUN!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the suggestions.

@Orville...I went with a modification of your suggestion after thinking about it a bit. Still undecided about the large firestick, but I'm adding shorter "matchsticks" as part of cemetery fencing with the glowing skulls as toppers.

The C7 didn't seem like it would pack enough punch through the plastic of the skull, so I went with a cheap standard bulb socket and a decorative candle bulb. Definitely has a pop. We'll see how it stands up in stress/weather testing.

The glow when the light goes out is a nice added effect.

Low quality video from the test is linked here...have to turn the volume up:

http://youtu.be/9J335oW6Ouk