Light-O-Rama Forums

RBG "dumb" strips - how many can be connected together

mattpatt

This explains why the cheaper Chinese dumb strips simply switch Off when you get to the 1% intensity level, as the voltage going out of the controller falls below that which the pixel fires (um, maybe I shouldnt use the word, "fire"), to allow the pixel to fade lower, smoothly down to Zero. Only 100 dimming steps (100-1), whereas DMX can allow 256 dimming steps, possibly more steps, smoother fades from One percent to Zero.

As for voltage drops along the lengths, it's really recommended, if you are not going to use a signal amplifier, feed the power to the middle of multiple strips.. If you were considering connecting 2 or more strips together, feed the 12v power to where they join together, splitting the strips like a "T", voltage runs equally in both directions, and reduces the amount of current running thru the strips closest to the feedpoint.

Edited by TJ Hvasta

Great explaination guys. Thanks! You'd think a EE would know/remember all this. Thanks for a refresher crash course. It all makes sense again.

Edited by MtDew4me

the only thing I can add to all this is e=mc2,,,man we have some smart people around here :D

Edited by james campbell

I know you werent talking about me!! I just know how to regurgitate what others say.. These guys above me have fergotten more than I'll ever know :D