Light-O-Rama Forums

Is there a way.....

Robert Burton

To make the same bulb 3 different colors other than to go RGB? Here is why I ask;

Ex. You take a Holdman Tree prop. If you make it W,G,R and change the color of it, half the tree disappears. Same with a North Pole (two props I am working with). It seems like with any prop that would be the case. Some props would do fine with this while others, you lose a lot of clarity.

For example look at my "Holdman Trees" and the North Pole;

499824_orig.jpg

Then look at this one;

3309093_orig.jpg

How to keep the "shape" of the object with out losing the clarity of it????

Robert

Unfortunately, there are only so many pixels on a screen. If you make your trees as large as in your second pic, you can make something that looks pretty close. But when you shrink it down, that is, you show a larger area, you are going to loose resolution.

if you use light strings instead of bulbs you can assign multiple channels to the string (WGR or whatever you like). But as Mike said it won't help you with your resolution.

After re-reading your question, I want to point out another reason we can't do what you are asking...

In the real world, a single bulb can not be red and white and green at the same time. They are either 3 separate bulbs, or they are something that will blend those colors into a new combined color (for example RGB). If we were to make them the same bulb, how could we display 3 colors in one spot if you turned 2 or more of those colors ON without blending? It's simply impossible to be in 2 places at once :)

Makes sense.

Will have to overlay the props to get close to that effect? I have not played (or understand yet) the "Levels" yet...but would that work? In other words have one whole prop be one color. Then another whole prop be another, and then another. And then just put one on top of the other. Would that work better????

Robert

Probably not. The same issue is going to happen: 2 bulbs can not share the same space.

If you do what you are saying, then the upper layer will cover a lower layer if both channels are on. IE, if you are doing a cross fade between 2 colors, what you are going to get is a very dim upper layer color and nothing lower.

You should stop trying to make things photo realistic - you'll have a much better Visualizer experience.

Ok. I do understand after going back and looking at the animation module of S3. I know it won't be picture realistic. I guess my issue is a lot of the props are literally losing shape when you take two colors out. And I know.....I could and probably will try and go draw my own. Possibly something to think about... For my Christmas Trees, I went in on MS Paint and drew the Christmas Trees in green. Then I went and put the lights on them. Maybe I need to do that with the other props. Go and draw it in paint and then put lights on it. Now...wouldn't that be an interesting feature. Jpeg gallery of props and then add your lights ;-) Anyway, I just want it to keep shape...that all. This is a REALLY bad resolution, but this is something from last year's display. Did this when some teacher friends of mine was asking "How"...and I put this on Youtube to show them;

The trees next to the house are not real. They are drawn in...however I know it is REALLY bad resolution.

I really do appreciate everybody's help :-)

Robert