Light-O-Rama Forums

Mega Tree rings

Kevin Doucet

I just want to know if anyone of you had ever done this, had rings inside a mega tree, if so how did you build yours. I added a design to help you understand what i mean, the circles represent the rings and the strait line represent the light string up and down the mega tree. If anyone did build it and have video of it, can you sent the link. The way I was thinking of building it was to use hulahoops cut down to size need it and tie wrap my light to it. what do you all think of it. Picture on the leftt would be a view from the top.

post-6317-0-05646300-1346099994_thumb.jp

Edited by Kevin Doucet

I made a gray pvc ring for my mega tree ...but have never used it.When i winch my lights up i back the winch off 1 turn which allows me to snug the lights up after they stretch.

Just curious, what will be the purpose of these additional rings besides adding weight to the strings, then more weight when it snows or ices up?

I just want to know if anyone of you had ever done this, had rings inside a mega tree, if so how did you build yours. I added a design to help you understand what i mean, the circles represent the rings and the strait line represent the light string up and down the mega tree. If anyone did build it and have video of it, can you sent the link. The way I was thinking of building it was to use hulahoops cut down to size need it and tie wrap my light to it. what do you all think of it. Picture on the leftt would be a view from the top.

http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/10534-guitar-hero-mega-tree-chasing-lights/page__hl__%2Bguitar+%2Bhero

Check this out

Are you planning to use these for rings of lights, or are you just talking about needing them to help the cone (megatree) hold shape?

If for shape, probably not needed. However, last year I did a mega-tree/spiral tree combo. The added weight of the 16 channels of spirals seemed it would make the sides of the megatree concave. Therefore I added a ring about 1/2 way up the tree. I may add a 2nd one this year. More than 2 wouldn't be needed probably unless you have a very tall tree. My tree is about 18' tall. I used grey PVC conduit--can make a pretty tight circle with it, however don't wait until it is cold outdoors to bend this that tight and try to glue it (which is why I only added 1 ring last year).

If doing it for light rings, then go for it, it may look cool.

I tried rings inside my mega tree the first year I had it up. The intent of the rings was to help eliminate any potential sage in the lights. It didn't work out so well. I used irrigation tubing which was the only pipe I could bend for the small rings. The irrigation pipe flexes too much and doesn't maintain a horizontal plane. Bottom line, more work without any significiant benefit.

If it's the shape your worried about just use clothes line and attach your lights to them. I use the green plastic covered line from Walmart and use turn buckles at the bottom to make them tight.

With my 30' mega tree, I didn't use any rings. I constructed each light strand with solid wire (normally used for electric animal fences) with a spring clip on each end and then pulled tight at the bottom ring.

Minimal sag at 32' length IMHO.

post-42-0-56944200-1346162026_thumb.jpg

Ok, it's not the shape i'm worried about or it's not to help with holding the lights, it's to have light around the ring so that you can sequence each ring in a way that you would see the rings chase up and down and stuff like that.

Ok, it's not the shape i'm worried about or it's not to help with holding the lights, it's to have light around the ring so that you can sequence each ring in a way that you would see the rings chase up and down and stuff like that.

Give it a shot, and make sure to post a video of how it looks.

I thought of the same thing but I was going to make the tree out of rings. I was going to go with 16 rings on a 12ft tree spaced 9 inches apart I believe it was. Never came to pas

Then I was I going to add 8 rings to a tree but they would be in the middle fasten to the tree pole but I only got 5 rings done & never did do it in 2011.

Another person did add rings to a tree other than the "Christmas Hero one" but I never dd see it in action.

Can you tell how old a mega tree is by counting the rings?? :lol:

:D:P:lol: What is it? "LMAO"

That's just funny. Good one!!!

My tree with hulahoops to support it. It was only 8 ft high. 40 channels, 16 red, 16 clear, 8 rope.

https://vimeo.com/13533928