Light-O-Rama Forums

Purple Flood Lights

Jerry

Looking for a true purple flood light (or bulb) ,led or incan.. I used the Phillips purple hallogen bulbs last year , but they looked blue on my white siding . I'm trying to wash an area about 25' wide and 18' high. I don't want to get into CCFs or the like at this time due to the extra sequencing .

Thanks, Jerry

Use a 150, 300 or 500 watt incandescent yard light and insert a colored gel on the front of it.

These colored gels are used in theatre and in concerts and are the high temperature type so they don't melt: http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-pack-Lighting-Gels-Par-38-to-64-6-Color-Filter-Gel-Sheet-FREE-SHIPPING-/400316955586?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d34bffbc2

Specify the color you want when you order them.

I've been using them for years without any problems.

If you want the non-fading kind that you don't have to replace every year, and don't mind spending the extra money, use colored dichroic glass (like colored Pyrex glass). Expect to pay $50-$75 per light, but the color is amazing.

Jerry, I get a good looking purple with Greg's Rainbow Floods.. just mix the red / blue LEDs and the floods cover a large area..

Use a 150, 300 or 500 watt incandescent yard light and insert a colored gel on the front of it.

These colored gels are used in theatre and in concerts and are the high temperature type so they don't melt: http://www.ebay.com/...=item5d34bffbc2

Specify the color you want when you order them.

I've been using them for years without any problems.

If you want the non-fading kind that you don't have to replace every year, and don't mind spending the extra money, use colored dichroic glass (like colored Pyrex glass). Expect to pay $50-$75 per light, but the color is amazing.

Thanks Ken, I tried something like those years ago. They were either too cheaply made or I had them too close to the bulb cause the melted :(

Jerry, I get a good looking purple with Greg's Rainbow Floods.. just mix the red / blue LEDs and the floods cover a large area..

Thanks TJ, could you provide me with a link to them ? Sounds like something I should look into.

Jerry

Jerry, Greg Renna's website www.SeasonalEntertainmentllc.com .. Products, Rainbow Floods, or Wallrunners, either one is good.. I have 5 or 6 of the RFloods, and a bunch of the older versions (rectangular) Rainbow Spots.. The Floods are very bright! I'm very happy with all of them. If you have a DC controller (CMB-16QC) then mixing red/blue is easy. And you do not need DMX to do it.

... mixing red/blue is easy.

And if you think it looks too blue against your siding, just turn up the red and turn down the blue.

The RGB channels set up in the Seq Editor work pretty well in picking the right color amounts. Using the Hardware Utility Sliders to find "just the right color" give you an idea of how much each color you'll need.. just experiment with both.

Edited by TJ Hvasta

• 1 month later...

Hi there,

Great thread! I'm also thinking of introducing flood lights into my show this year. I take donations for a military charity each year, and play a military related song while I'm giving my spiel about the charity. My question is whether or not I can use those gel sheets to make a camo design. Ideally, I'd get a green and brown and cut them to make a camo design on the light. Would that project camo onto the house as desired, or am I overstepping the bounds of possibility here?

Thanks!

Chris

Hey Army, I think if you did that you would end up with a blurr . You could contact the folks at www.allprosound.com they will send you a pack of gel samples that are about 11/2" x 3" . You can play with those and see if it will work. PM me and I can give you their phone # and contact name. Good luck ! Jerry

Here's an update on what I used for my floods for Halloween this year. I purchased four 30 watt LED flood light fixtures (used 2 for purple and 2 for orange) and used the Hi Temp color gels . No extra controllers to deal with, no extra sequencing to do. They are VERY bright and two give me very good , rich coverage on our white siding (30ft wide x 12ft high.) for each color. They dim ,ramp and all that, as well and if I want different colors for Xmas I can just change the gels. Purchased the floods on Ebay, the gels from www.allprosound.com . Jerry