Light-O-Rama Forums

Anyone use snow machines?

Torqumada286

For those that live in areas of the country that might be iffy when it comes to actual winter weather, do you use a snow machine to enhance your display? I'm not talking about about soap style machines that produce something that looks like snow, but machines that can create snow if the air temperature and humidity are right, but there is no precipitation available. There are home built and processional devices you can find out there that can handle making the snow.

It's theoretical possible to have snow where I live during the Christmas holidays, but not likely. It has only happened once in my lifetime (I'll be 43 in October) and that was in 2010. My son asked for snow for Christmas last year. I could put the system together cheaply, but the weather did not cooperate in terms of humidity and air temperature until after the holidays. I'm looking ahead to this year and see what happens. I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with them.

Torqumada

This might be hard to believe but even way up here the ski hills still need to make snow most years in Edmonton, Alberta. You ought to try it & see what happens. Could be hard on your power bill, & whatever chemical you may need.....if it takes chemicals.

Would be good for Christmas eve & day.

Dihydrogen Oxide is the only chemical you need. :P

You just have to have the right mix of water and air with a properly sized nozzle with the correct air temperature and humidity levels to make snow. Water comes from your tap. The air comes from an air compressor. You can build the nozzle from plans on the internet. It's the air temperature and humidity levels that are the things out of your control. The formulas they use are geared more towards dry powder so people can snow board, sled or ski. I would prefer something a bit wetter as that is better for snow ball fight and building snow men.

When we do get winter precipitation around here, it's usually ice, not snow and for the last 15 years or so, I am almost always working and then I get partnered with someone who knows nothing about working in snow or how to drive in icy conditions.

Torqumada

Edited by Torqumada286

That's where I have been going too, and while they give you plans for the nozzles, they have been light on the other information, unless things have changed recently. I have used their forecaster, though.

Torqumada

John, did I ask if you were going to use a snow maker this year? I got one from the costume store, Main & Alma School, a FITCO, $64. Tried it out, works really well, tho it's noisy. I'm scouting eBay every day for a American DJ model, but they're still $130. I did get one guy down to offer $97, with free shipping, but that's still a bit more than I can pay. I'm going to mount them (have to get another one) in the hats of the nutcrackers in the corners of the yard, and trigger them with the controllers.

Edited by TJ Hvasta

Teege!! Ya know I would love to... BUT ITS TOO FREAKING HOT HERE!!! :D :D :D We have discussed the bubble type but dont want to put out the $$$$ to get a good one. Have you seen Chris' House up on McDonald in Scottsdale? He's got some really good ones, three of them. Maybe one day.... Holler if you find some decent ones.

Yeah, thats where I got the idea, and the flakes coming out of his look pretty good.. it's prob the ADJ machines, higher end, more $$ .. a ADJ than $100 is good for me.. and a FITCO or China made $50 or less would work too..