Light-O-Rama Forums

Network Config Assistance

just_buck

Not sure about this, tried looking in the forums and didn't see it, so I hope I'm not doing a double post.

Please fogive if I have......

I open the Visualizer and always get "there are no network adapters on this machine!".

Well I have both wired and wireless on this computer - I'm on it as I'm typing this.....

So, do I have to have the USB LOR Nic in place to make this work???

I didn't think I needed it since I'm just attempting to get an idea of how my show files will look / run.

I have set it up in the Sequence Editor to play the Visualizer. I left the default set to 127.0.0.1 and default port.

That all seems fine....

In the Visualizer though, I go to Options and Com(6) and it shows nothing for me to select in the Communications drop down.

and says IP Address in RED to the right.

Also, I have setup in the Symantec Firewall to allow all LOR programs access.

Lastly, I'm using V3.5.0.

I hope I've explained myself enough and gave enough information to get some help.

THANKS!

Darn.... I did miss giving vital information! (IDIOT!)

I'm using Windows 7 on this computer - Home Premium 64bit.

Thanks DevMike!

Ok, try this then... Find the Visualizer Program. If you kept the defaults, that is C:\Program Files (x86)\Light-O-Rama. Right click the LORVisualizer.exe file and select 'Properties'. Go to the 'Compatibility' tab and check 'Run This Program as an Administrator'. Click OK, and try again. Let me know if that helps

Sad to report that the same problem still happens....

I took a screen shot of the Options so you could see it.

But I don't see the option to attach it.

Unfortunately, if that didn't help you have a problem with your Windows installation. Something is blocking (or error-ing, or simply not working) when the Visualizer requests what network adapters are available on the system.

The Visualizer needs that info to set up a local loop back so it can talk with the Sequence Editor/Show Player.

Thank you for your assistance.

I'll look into my system more.... If I come up w/ anything, I'll be sure to post the results to possible help anyone else if they run across this also.

Looks like the years of being a system admin and having to check emails for virus files had taken it's toll on the computer.

Networking components were completely messed up.

No firewall, no security services with Win7.

Even though they stated they were running, there were no properties or anything to check with them.

Completely hosed....

So I ended up wiping and reinstalling... Wish I had a better answer to the problem instead of a drastic measure, but it solved it....

Everything working the way it should.

LOVE the visualizer!!! Really a great tool!

• Like 1

Glad you found the issue, and even happier that you let everyone else know what it was in case they ever have the same problem.

• 3 months later...

Just a quick note. I had the same problem tonight on an almost new machine. I solved the issue by choosing to run as administrator as above, but also setting compatibility to run as Windows XP SP3

ok.. so the XP SP3 compatibility mode is only a partial fix. You can get it to work with some tweaking, but any time you close and re-launch it will say the assigned adapter is no longer available, go to options to select a new one. When doing so the Options window does not usually allow you to make changes and each time you go to the options dialog it removes 1 character from the Simulation port number. i.e. 30303 becomes 3030 and then 303 and so on.

still working it.. hoping not to have to wipe machine.

- WIndows 7 home premium 64bit

- wired network connection had been stripped down to nothing but ipv4 to minimize network interference for driving lots of e131 devices using madrix

- re-instated all the windows networking components, etc to make sure that wasn't the issue (did not help)

- wireless connection still has all networking components enabled, but does not help.

- machine is on small private network, no internet access.

I hope you will keep updating I am in the same boat with this computer Windows 7 64 bit. I don't want to wipe and reinstall either, have another computer coming that is 32 bit and Windows 7 Pro but would like for this one to work also.

I was unable to reinstall at all but followed your advice and ran it on a hard wired connection and checked the XP SP3 compatibility option. The visualizer won't work at all without this option. With it, mine is working but my 30303 also keeps disappearing etc, and I am getting an error that says that the previously assigned network adapter no longer exists on the system the visualizer found another adapter yada yada yada and to check the settings page. Not sure where that might be.

Sometimes when I go to the options and change it back to 30303 it tells me I have to restart the visualizer and sometimes not.

But hey the buttons finally started working at least...

I also saved the install program to the computer instead of to desktop options this time if that ever helps anyone.

When I go to open the sequence editor I get 'automation error, unspecified error;

• 2 months later...

I'd like to bring this back to the top of the pile as it is still an issue.  I'm on version 3.8.0 and have not yet upgraded because my licenses don't cover the next upgrade. I will buy the upgrade, but haven't done so yet.

I'm still having the exact same problem.  I've run all windows updates, I've updated all drivers.

Only way i get this far is by having it run in XP SP3 compatibility mode.  Otherwise it just says no adapters available.

Problem:

any time you launch the visualizer it will say the assigned adapter is no longer available, go to options to select a new one. When doing so the Options window does not always allow you to make changes and each time you go to the options dialog it removes 1 character from the Simulation port number. i.e. 30303 becomes 3030 and then 303 and so on.  It may work after you correct it in the options dialog. But once you close and re-launch you get the same error.

still working it.. hoping not to have to wipe machine.
- WIndows 7 home premium 64bit
- S3 v 3.8.0

- Dell XPS One 27

Edited by heystew

Let me see if I can work on this a little bit.  

I'm not sure why it doesn't work on your 7 machine.  Can you tell me what WIRED network adapters you have installed?  Does it also have Wireless? Does it ONLY have wireless?  It doesn't matter if you are using it or not, I need to know what the machine physically has.  For example, I don't use the wired port on my laptop, but it does have one.  If it has wireless, are you using Windows to manage the connection, or some program provided by Dell/wireless card?

Next, let's see if we can get Windows to tell us if WMI is running.  WMI is the service we use to get the adapter names/etc.  Hit the start bubble, then in the search box type 'Computer Management'.  You'll see a bunch of stuff, but at the top of the window you should see 'Programs (1)', and then 'Computer Management'.  Click it to start the manager.  Now in the list on the left side, expand 'Services and Applications'.  Right Click 'WMI Control' and then select 'Properties'.  Give it a second and you'll get a properties box.  On the 'General' tab there will be a box of info.  Copy it here.  If at any point you get an error message, copy that message down exactly and post it here.

For my side, I'm going to put some more debugging code in there to see exactly where ti is blowing up.  Are you comfortable moving a new EXE in and renaming your old one?

The system killing the port number slowly may be a side effect of the error trapping I am doing.  Let's see if we can get your machine to see the adapter first, then we'll worry about that.

I'll throw my 2 cents in here if its worth anything.

DevMike said the WMI is the service he uses to get the network adaptor names and settings.

Occasionally, the WMI repository will self destruct causing all kinds of off the wall issues. In my case, on a Windows 2008R2 server running Terminal Services, new users logging in for the 1st time will not get thier Group Policies applied so thier desktops and MyDocs files dont get created... I know.. to much info .. but there is a point ...

Open the command prompt using the "run as Administror" option.

from the command line run "winmgmt /verifyrepository"

If all is well it will return "WMI repository is consistent" and more trouble shooting is needed.

If it returns an issue about unable to stop or is inconsitent .. you can run the command

"winmgmt /salvagerepository" which will attempt to repair the repository database.

If it comes back clean, then try the visualizer again and see if the network adaptor is then picked up ...

Bob

Edited by bob_moody

Excellent Bob, Thanks!  That should give me a lot more info than if the user did it my way -- which frankly I'm not even sure would do ANYTHING since I can't duplicate the error.

WMI is one of those things from MS that us developers can't pin them down on.  They keep expanding it and expanding it, so it looks like it's the 'official' way to do things, but then they won't SAY that it's the right way.

I do have a second method to determine all the info I need that is not WMI based.  Unfortunately, I'm not sure that all those API calls are going to survive an MS update in the future, where WMI probably will......  

I've been asking Micro$oft for years about why WMI self destructs and they always answer back like a monkey doing a math problem ... I think some BlackOps department in the basement created the beast and no one has the passkey to get down to them.. LOL ...

At LEAST once I month I have to perform a salvagerepository on my 8 terminal servers...

Hope it helps.

Bob

(PS. so if this works, do i get a bump on my RGB-Pixel button?? LOL.. just kidding.. )

Edited by bob_moody

Mike (and bob_moody)

thanks for the responses.  I"m more than comfortable doing any level of troubleshooting/debug you can throw at me.  Here's a dump of information that you requested.  Bottom line, not issues found with WMI repository.  I also included the output of the LOR Diagnostic tool.  

dave

System Information:

Dell XPS One 2710
Windows 7 SP 1 64 bit
16 GB Ram
Intel i7-3770s
Display adapter type Intel® HD Graphics 4000
Display adapter driver version 9.18.13.721
Primary monitor resolution 2560x1440
DirectX version DirectX 10

Wired Ethernet Adapter
- Atheros AR8161/8165 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20)
- Driver version 2.0.9.9 11/14/2011 (most recent)
Wireless Ethernet Adapter (currently disabled)
- Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6235
- Driver version 15.3.0.16

WMI Control Properties
No errors, can't copy paste, so here's the basic info.  Will attach a screenshot of the dialog box
OS Version 6.1.7601
Service Pack 1.0
WMI Version: 7601.17514
WMI Location: C:\Windows\system32\wbem

WMI Troubleshooting
ran winmgmt /verifyrepository as bob_moody suggested.
resulted wiht WME Repository is consistent

LOR Diagnostic Report

Registry: Shared
 AppPath = C:\Program Files (x86)\Light-O-Rama\
 UserDataPath = C:\LOR\
 AudioPath = C:\LOR\Audio\
 NonAudioPath = C:\LOR\Sequences\
 PostInstall = True
 PostInstallVer = 18
 Reset = False
 Network\NetworkDasher = Not Set
 Network\NetworkX10 = Not Set
 Network\LorOldMCP = Not Set
 Network\ListNetworks = Not Set
 Network\NetworkLightORama = Not Set
 Network\LorSpeed = Not Set
 Network\OldMCP-NewRegVal = Not Set
 Network\AuxA\NetworkLightORama = Not Set
 Network\AuxA\LorSpeed = Not Set
 Network\AuxA\OldMCP-NewRegVal = Not Set
 Network\AuxB\NetworkLightORama = Not Set
 Network\AuxB\LorSpeed = Not Set
 Network\AuxB\OldMCP-NewRegVal = Not Set
 Network\AuxC\NetworkLightORama = Not Set
 Network\AuxC\LorSpeed = Not Set
 Network\AuxC\OldMCP-NewRegVal = Not Set
 Network\AuxD\NetworkLightORama = Not Set
 Network\AuxD\LorSpeed = Not Set
 Network\AuxD\OldMCP-NewRegVal = Not Set
 Network\AuxE\NetworkLightORama = Not Set
 Network\AuxE\LorSpeed = Not Set
 Network\AuxE\OldMCP-NewRegVal = Not Set
 Network\AuxF\NetworkLightORama = Not Set
 Network\AuxF\LorSpeed = Not Set
 Network\AuxF\OldMCP-NewRegVal = Not Set
 Network\AuxG\NetworkLightORama = Not Set
 Network\AuxG\LorSpeed = Not Set
 Network\AuxG\OldMCP-NewRegVal = Not Set
 Network\AuxH\NetworkLightORama = Not Set
 Network\AuxH\LorSpeed = Not Set
 Network\AuxH\OldMCP-NewRegVal = Not Set
 Network\AuxI\NetworkLightORama = Not Set
 Network\AuxI\LorSpeed = Not Set
 Network\AuxI\OldMCP-NewRegVal = Not Set
 Network\AuxJ\NetworkLightORama = Not Set
 Network\AuxJ\LorSpeed = Not Set
 Network\AuxJ\OldMCP-NewRegVal = Not Set
 Network\AuxK\NetworkLightORama = Not Set
 Network\AuxK\LorSpeed = Not Set
 Network\AuxK\OldMCP-NewRegVal = Not Set
 Network\AuxL\NetworkLightORama = Not Set
 Network\AuxL\LorSpeed = Not Set
 Network\AuxL\OldMCP-NewRegVal = Not Set
 Network\AuxM\NetworkLightORama = Not Set
 Network\AuxM\LorSpeed = Not Set
 Network\AuxM\OldMCP-NewRegVal = Not Set
 Network\AuxN\NetworkLightORama = Not Set
 Network\AuxN\LorSpeed = Not Set
 Network\AuxN\OldMCP-NewRegVal = Not Set
 Network\AuxO\NetworkLightORama = Not Set
 Network\AuxO\LorSpeed = Not Set
 Network\AuxO\OldMCP-NewRegVal = Not Set
 Activation\Activated = Not Set

Registry: Tray
 ShowSplash = Not Set
 State = Not Set

Registry: Editor
 NewAnimation\PromptForDefaults = True
 NewMusical\PromptForDefaults = Not Set
 RecentFiles\File1 = Not Set
 RecentFiles\File2 = Not Set
 RecentFiles\File3 = Not Set
 RecentFiles\File4 = Not Set
 RecentFiles\File5 = Not Set
 RecentFiles\File6 = Not Set
 RecentFiles\File7 = Not Set
 RecentFiles\File8 = Not Set
 RecentFiles\File9 = Not Set
 RecentFiles\File10 = Not Set
 Toolbars\ShowStandard = True
 Toolbars\ShowTools = True

AppPath Contents
 AdjMmsEng.dll 8.3.0.17
 amp3dj.ocx 5.6.2.0
 AudioConv.ocx 2.1.0.0
 blank.gif
 ChangeLog.txt
 DigitalIOX.ocx 3.8.0.2
 ExCooltipsLORMod.dll 3.8.0.2
 FTDIWrap.dll 3.8.0.2
 LCMControl.ocx 3.8.0.2
 LComm.ocx 3.8.0.2
 LORActivation.dll 3.8.0.2
 LORChannelIO.ocx 3.8.0.2
 LORCommListener.exe 3.8.0.2
 LORCommonUtils.dll 3.8.0.2
 LORDiagnostic.exe 3.8.0.2
 LORHardware.exe 3.8.0.2
 LORHelp.chm
 LORMonitor.exe 3.8.0.2
 LORNetworkConfig.exe 3.8.0.2
 LORPost.exe 3.8.0.2
 LORSchedule.exe 3.8.0.2
 LORSequence.dll 3.8.0.2
 LORSequenceEditor.exe 3.8.0.2
 LORShellCmdMgr.dll 3.8.0.2
 LORShow.exe 3.8.0.2
 LORSimpleShowBuilder.exe 3.8.0.2
 LORTray.exe 3.8.0.2
 LORVerifier.exe 3.8.0.2
 LORVisualizer.exe 3.8.0.2
 LORWinShell.dll 3.8.0.2
 LORXywrap.dll 3.8.0.2
 LOR_DeviceFile.txt
 LVizComm.dll 3.8.0.2
 OfflineRegistration.exe 3.8.0.2
 OfflineRegistrationBackend.dll 3.8.0.2
 ServoDogUtility.exe 3.8.0.2
 SSEdit.exe 3.8.0.2
 vbCOMHelp.dll 3.8.0.2
 xerces-c_2_6.dll 2.5.0.0

Links in Start Menu

Well, krudinski.  I figured for sure it was a WMI problem.  

Ok, I'm going to compile you some debug code if you don't mind copying in a new EXE.  Please PM me your eMail address and when it's done I'll send you a link to download it from along with some directions.

Give me a day or 2....