Light-O-Rama Forums

Singing faces built out of pegboard

digitalfreeloaders

We saw the videos on youtube of the singing faces and really liked them, so much so that we decided to do a halloween show this year to have a reason to make them. We did a little research on other peoples builds but did not have the materials and could not afford to buy them just to try a project. So due to our lack of funds we had to get creative to make it happen! Since we had a piece of scrap pegboard in the shed we drew a basic square face onto it, stuck lights into the holes, carefully stapled the wires on the back to hold them into place, and programmed our first sequence. Once the song was done and our square faced singer was mouthing the words nicely we where sure we could make our pegboard idea work. So we bought a full sized sheet cut it in half, tweeked the design a little and made our first 4x4 face See how it works at http://www.youtube.com/user/mr2manydecortionsguy?feature=guide

Still working out the bugs with shortening the lights.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys, appreciate the comments. It was out of lack of funds and want of singing faces! :) Glad to share the ideas, this is a great place to come to find them, and like minded people to understand them. Try to talk to other people about this stuff and they get glassy eyed and it goes right over their heads! lol!!

Happy Halloween light shows.

Jim

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

we built ours out of pegboard. sprayed them black to seal the and then mounted them on a 2x4 frame. i will post a video shortly so you can check them out. the eye sequences on two had to be changed for blinking but you get the idea. they are programmed for seven songs already.

great job kevin they look fantasic

where did you get your sequence from as there is a few people selling them now or is it your own work ???

Nice job Kevin Looks really good yeah we're going to mask ours of and paint it wished we did it before we put the light in it lol glad we only have to do one :~)

I found this post really useful and stole.... I mean, borrowed your idea. It works really well. I've just been gathering ideas on how to secure the lights and leads to the pegboard and have had suggestions of Glue gun or silicone.

LOL You can't steal or borrow what is given freely :~) glad that it helped you we drilled half way through the hole's s to counter sink them to help to hold the light in place then used hot glue to help them stay in place and because it would set up faster

`and on one we drill the hole all the way through close to the same size as the lights them push the light socket into the holes so it would be a tight fit then again used the hot glue it didn't take as much as one would think we only used about 4 or 5 sticks that were i think 5/16 to 3/8 thick by 5 or 6 inch long mini glue sticks my wife just said I think all the way through is better that way it's easier to replace the bulb if they burn out we did it that way to see which would hold up the best in the long run if you do a video post a link so we can see your work this is gonna be our first Halloween show and will be posting our's here Happy Halloween Show

That really cool, I didn't think about heat affecting the led's. We tried cutting strips of cardboard and stapling on either side of the light but the staple's were to long and came though the front of the board. Couldn't find short enough staples to work but that would really depend on how thick the pegboard is. The only size they had here was 3/16 when we did ours. By drilling the holes close to the same size the lights fit really good but we put the hot glue on for just for good measure. I haven't switched over to led's so don't know how they are built so i can't help there but looks like you got it covered, I wish you luck BTW very nice job like it can't wait to see it all in action if you post a video of your show.