Light-O-Rama Forums

C9 strobes with LOR

Guest guest

I was wondering when all of you tell your strobes to fire in your show. I guess what I'm asking is do you put them "on" early, because I believe they have to get energy before they fire, correct? I wasn't sure if you turned then on 2/10 of a second early or how you do that from when you want them to fire for the first time. I know you can't be perfect becasue strobes have a "mind of their own" but is there some time when you do it and it seems to work?

I hope this makes sense and thanks for the help

Rob

I had to "check" mine to see how long it took to fire from a cold state and then from flash to flash. What I found was that it took slightly less time to fire once they had been run during the show. I would imagine that different brands have different charge rates and "fire" times, so just plug them in and time it out, but yes they have to charge before they fire. I hope this helps.

Doug

Yes, that does help some. I plan on using the c9's from Dayl when they become available again and didn't know if people using them found that there was a certain time or not. I know it's hard with strobes, but just didn't know if there was a way to figure out when to do it since I don't know when I'll be getting the strobes.

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

Musicman,

If you get the curtain strobes from ChristmasLightShow, you will program them to "go" between .10 and .30 seconds before you want to see them.

They are set to flash 3 to 4 times per second so you can do the math. Because the capacitors charge and discharge they are not consistent from one second to the next.

This controlled random flashing is part of the effect.

Charles

musicman wrote:

'do you put them "on" early?'

Nope! I didn't fire them early at all. They fire so quickly that there was no need for me to program them early. I just set them 'on' when i wanted them to fire and the effect was a blast of light. I had 35 of the ChristmasLightShow C9s on a string of All American Christmas C9 wire and when fired, they seem to rapidly chase over and over, but there wasn't any discernable delay in them starting.

jeff

I notice you all have a high number of strobes. I was going to get 10 this year, do I need to get more then that for a decent effect? they are going in the middle of my 15 foot mega tree.

musicman,

10 strobes in the center of a mega tree will work great. I don't use any on my mega tree, but I have 50 scattered in trees and bushes and I intend to increase that amount this year.

Those single little fast points of light are really exciting.

Charles

I always set my strobes about 1/2 second early. The start time isn't a real problem because they start up fairly quickly. The end is what I have to watch as there are always a few late bloomers that fire off up to two seconds after the "end" mark.

I use around 100 strobes in my large trees. I don't turn them on very often. I think you can easily over do the strobe effect if you use them too often.