Light-O-Rama Forums

Feel Like I Wasted 12 Hours

jim6918

I am sure I am not the first person this has happened to. I am always trying to have a wide variety of music genres in my show, and decided to add Rudolph by Alan Jackson, just for a little additional country flavor this year. When I told my wife of my plans, she sort of squinted her eyes and said that she wasn't "that crazy" about the song, but "whatever."

I went ahead and worked on it, investing at least 12 hours over the past week or so, and to be honest, now I hate it. I have never had this reaction to any song I have ever sequenced.

Last night after my second single malt, I moved everything into my Junk Folder. I sure could have used those 12 hours on the other songs I want to do this year. Guess I should have listened to my wife in the first place.

Save it, move it to another folder. You may change your mind later.

There have been songs that I wasn't thrilled about at some point, but later came to like later in the season.

I have worked on a lot of songs I may not have liked, only because at one time they sounded great, but after awhile, just decided they may not fit in well with the other songs I'm using. However, I never delete or junk them, I keep them, just in case I would happen to change my mind and just toss it into the mix. And sometimes I've had requests for a song by a neighbor or kid that I had sequenced, but figured I wasn't going to use it, then ended up making its way into the display by request of someone asking if I ever thought about doing such and such a song.

So I keep everything, even if I don't like it, someone out there may ask for it one day and I just may have it ready to go.

You just never know.

I sequence songs that I like. Making the folks in town happy with my show is nice, but when it comes down to it, I am the final judge. If I don't like the music, it isn't getting sequenced.

D.T.

:huh:

I sequence songs that I like. Making the folks in town happy with my show is nice, but when it comes down to it, I am the final judge. If I don't like the music, it isn't getting sequenced.

D.T.

I figure I have great taste, so If I like it that means everyone else will too, Right???? :huh::P

:huh:

I figure I have great taste, so If I like it that means everyone else will too, Right???? :huh::P

Well, that's really all that counts... you can't make everyone happy, so at least try to make yourself happy.

D.T.

LOL after listening to the same song over and over again you now hate it! :)

I would keep it !

LOL after listening to the same song over and over again you now hate it! :)

I would keep it !

How do you think our next door neighbors feels hearing our shows over and over again everynight for 6 weeks :o :o

How do you think our next door neighbors feels hearing our shows over and over again everynight for 6 weeks :o :o

Turn off your speakers and use a FM transmtter. Then your neighbors will only get tired of the flashing lights.

Same thing happened to me with a Tobymac song. After about 4 hours of listening to it over and over again, I realized that I just couldn't go on.

It's important to sequence songs you really really like.

In my first year out, I used a couple of songs that I wasn't crazy about, just so I would have a show of more than 6 songs, Elvis's Blue Christmas among them. As soon as my sequencing skills developed, I worked on songs that I really liked and cut the ones I didn't. My wife has a couple of perennial favorites that I couldn’t cut unless I want to be sleeping out in the snow. It is probably sacrilegious but there’s a few TSO songs that just don't do it for me, so I would never attempt them.

I feel that the "Soldier's Silent Night" has sorta gotten old to me, but an old lady across the street makes me promise to keep it in the show. She and her family go out of their way to keep parking available out in front of their house, so I feel it's least I can do.

I guess I was just hoping that the Alan Jackson song would grow on me. LOL

There's I couple of Randy Travis songs that I might have considered, but the mental picture of him running around naked in that Texas convenience store completely ruined it for me.

Turn off your speakers and use a FM transmtter. Then your neighbors will only get tired of the flashing lights.

I do use an FM transmitter, but what about the pedestrians that are watching the display? I'll bet at least 70% of my audience either walks to see it or get out of their cars to watch. I don't play it too, too loud in fact none of my neighbors have ever complained but I know if they are outside it's gotta be annoying. I guess I'm just lucky to have great neighbors.

Mine dont! I have a small radio outside but I doubt they can hear it.

In my first year out, I used a couple of songs that I wasn't crazy about, just so I would have a show of more than 6 songs, Elvis's Blue Christmas among them. As soon as my sequencing skills developed, I worked on songs that I really liked and cut the ones I didn't. My wife has a couple of perennial favorites that I couldn’t cut unless I want to be sleeping out in the snow. It is probably sacrilegious but there’s a few TSO songs that just don't do it for me, so I would never attempt them.

I feel that the "Soldier's Silent Night" has sorta gotten old to me, but an old lady across the street makes me promise to keep it in the show. She and her family go out of their way to keep parking available out in front of their house, so I feel it's least I can do.

I guess I was just hoping that the Alan Jackson song would grow on me. LOL

There's I couple of Randy Travis songs that I might have considered, but the mental picture of him running around naked in that Texas convenience store completely ruined it for me.

Blue Christmas is my wife's favorite songs. Everytime Elvis says blue the display turns blue.

• The topic was locked