Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR Currently supports video sync!!

Guest guest

Vic Fortenbach wrote:

Here is a good primer for multi monitor configuration.

Orginial link:

http://www.digitalroom.net/index2.html

I'm thinking that instead of using 1 duo-output video card, why not use 2 (or more) PCI video cards. You can get them on Ebay cheap.

In win98SE, (My christmas computer OS) I can have up to 9 monitors, but I dont have 9 PCI slots..oh well, I guess I will have to be limited to 5 monitors. :laughing:

If you find a way to do this, please share. I had a projector for 2 years and searched and searched the net for a way to make 2 video cards to work. Even got an ATI multimonitor card that wouldnt work with what I needed. Chances are there may be some differences in LOR from my software however I dont know if its possible without LOR or competing sequencing softwares being made specifically with multimonitor support intentionally programmed in.

One thing observed so far is if you loose 1 frame because computer is not fast enough, the lighting goes out of sync in a similar fashion to using variable bit rate Mp3's which is a problem both AL, Dasher and LOR all experience similar problems already. This in consideration, I think the multimonitor on 1 card, and using the fastest card and AGP 8X or PCI-E are your best options for being able to play movies at a decent resolution and not loose video playback frames.

Here is a Link for a list of display adaptors that work with multi monitor use in Win98SE.

And

Here is a Link for list of display adaptors for XP Dualview (XP's buzz word for multi monitors) monitor configuration.

As you can see the links are from Microsoft, but some of the listed display adaptors may not work properly.

Orginial links:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q182708/ for Win98

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307397 for WinXP

Here is a Link for a list of display adaptors that work with multi monitor use in Win98SE.

And

Here is a Link for list of display adaptors for XP Dualview (XP's buzz word for multi monitors) monitor configuration.

As you can see the links are from Microsoft, but some of the listed display adaptors may not work properly.

Orginial links:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q182708/ for Win98

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307397 for WinXP

Please understand, before folks run out and start buying hardware, that it is not just multi-monitor support that is required, but the ability to have video play full screen on the second monitor whien played in windows media player (not full screen) on the primary monitor.

What Joe is saying, if I might paraphrase, is that he and I both have had a number of working dualview setups that will not do the full screen video.

As previously mentioned, the ONLY COMBINATION VERIFIED WORKING at this point is a dual head Nvidia Geforce 4000 or better based card.

bhays wrote:

Please understand, before folks run out and start buying hardware, that it is not just multi-monitor support that is required, but the ability to have video play full screen on the second monitor whien played in windows media player (not full screen) on the primary monitor.

What Joe is saying, if I might paraphrase, is that he and I both have had a number of working dualview setups that will not do the full screen video.

As previously mentioned, the ONLY COMBINATION VERIFIED WORKING at this point is a dual head Nvidia Geforce 4000 or better based card.

Yes, Bhays's is correct, maybe I should clarify. I used an ATI that had its own multimonitor mode and that worked for me actually, also combination of my older Geforce card and ATI also worked the way windows intended.

The problem is, all older and "current" versions of Windows Media Player do not have any options to leave the Windows Media Player control in one monitor and send its "full screen" window to another monitor. Windows media player has only one option thru its settings and thats to open its video screen in the "application window". This means it opens only on the monitor where the windows media player window is at. For our purposes, LOR, Dasher and Animation Director are the windows media player window. It either opens on top of Animation Director or Dasher without controls, or in the case of LOR, its probably under the animation grid window.

In my case I could open animation director in a moveable window and move it so the left half of the window was in the one monitor, and the area the video opened in the second because the window was split between 2 monitors, but for us, there is no controls set up with the window, this means Alt-Enter does not full screen the window, etc. In fact even on 1 monitor or 2, these LOR and Animation Director windows just cant make a full screen video. We are using a video card trick available only with Nvidia GeForce cards and a feature NOT supported by Windows 98 or XP to make a full screen video output of the video. Mind you as of yet, there is no official support for video with LOR or Animation Director, so these problems do not give you a window with controls for the video, nor do they set these up with a separate task. In otherwords, try to force the video into full screen by using the Alt-Enter command, all you get are "beep beep beep", the "task" is not available to the keyboard, its controlled by your scheduler/player.