Light-O-Rama Forums

Design on 7 – Production on XP

bullets

I was curious if anyone is doing this or if you haven’t, do you think there would be a problem.

I just got a new desktop with an OS of Windows 7. I want to do the show design on this computer then copy the files to my Windows XP computer and use this to run the show. I know that sometimes things can get quirky between the two operating systems and I was hoping that someone could provide some feedback.

I have always wanted to dedicate a computer just for my light show and I figured this would be the perfect time.

I am using LOR S3 Advanced with SuperStar 24_CCR

Thanks

As long as the LOR version matches, it won't make any difference. I was designing on a Win 7 64-bit PC and running the show on an XP 32-bit PC last year.

You will also want to have the directory structure the same on both computers. Otherwise when you go to play the sequence, the media file will not be found. It's an easy fix (Edit -> Media File) but if you forget the sequence won't play on the other computer.

By keeping the directory structure the same, you avoid having to do that every single time.

texascop (brother) thanks for the info... that's what I was hoping to hear.

Don, Thanks so much, you brought up a very good point..... one that I would have not thought of.

I've never managed (or bothered) to get my directory path the same. But I sequence against .wav files, and only keep the .mp3 version on the show PC. So I have to repoint the media file anyway. Probably more to do with trying not to kill the antique HDD in the show PC more than anything else in my case.

• 4 weeks later...

Since I bounce between 2-3 computers to sequence, and play the show on a 4th, I'm experimenting using cloud storage. (Keeping local backups to be safe.)

Basically I just install Dropbox on each system, create a Light-o-Rama folder in Dropbox, and then point Light o Rama to this cloud folder. Anything I update on any computer, is kept in sync on the other 3--Media, Sequences, Channels. It's been working fine to date.

Again, just make sure you backup a local copy every once in a while. In case you do something dumb on on one PC, and it gets synced to the others.

I have used the combination you mentioned (Design on Widows 7, show on XP). Never had a single issue .

Thanks jerrymac for the feedback... I'm movin' forward