Light-O-Rama Forums

Help me decide what to buy while the sale is on

Klayfish

As I've mentioned in other posts, this is my first foray into the world of going beyond a static display. I don't want to miss out on the summer sale, but could use input on what to buy.

I see LOR has a starter package. http://store.lightor...m/ba16chpa.html If I looked everything up correctly on the website, if I bought all these things a la carte during the sale, it would be about $30 cheaper. Am I correct? Does the starter package have most of what I'll need to get started? Is the controller worth the extra money over this one for a newbie? http://store.lightorama.com/ctretogonoas.html I think I'd still need to buy a converter too? Any other can't miss items for a newbie that are on sale?

Edited by Klayfish

The biggest difference is the housing (mental or plastic). Read throw the newbie section and you'll find the answers to differences.

I have mine setup like this.

Transmitter: EDM

Mini director to run the show instead of a computer.

ctb16pc - (controller)

USB to cat5 cable to assign and test controllers.

Lights, extension cords

Software - (i have basic plus)

Okay, this is my suggestion. Start with this -->http://store.lightor...se16chstpa.html and maybe the the add-on in your second link you mentioned in your original post. That will give you 16 or 32 channels to control. I started with 16 and quickly went to 32 in my first year.

Once you get the hang of the software, it should take you between 2-6 hrs per minute of song. That, of course, depends on the song. Some in my first year, I did in about 2 hours, but my first TSO song took about 8 hours to sequence. If you can devote a few hours a day, you should be able to sequence a respectable amount of music, maybe 8 or 10 songs. You can run them several times through in a night.

As was mentioned in your other thread, there are a lot of share sites out there that you can find sequences to get an idea of how things work in the software. I bought one of the 5 song packs from LOR, studied them and away I went.

This hobby is very time consuming, so take that into consideration.

Once you have everything laid out, don't change it, since you're getting a late start. Give yourself plenty of time to set-up when that time comes. I would set up at least 2-4 weeks prior to "lights on" to allow for testing and tweaking.

Make sure you have enough extension cords, either store bought or custom made(SPT-1 or SPT-2). Buy one of these-->http://www.amazon.co...rds=kill a watt for testing how much load you have on each channel, so as to not overload the boards or have GFCIs tripping during the show.

Just a few suggestions to get you started. I hope I haven't confused you too much. PM me if you have any questions. I'll be happy to answer any questions if I know the answer. I'm only in my second year and there are a bunch of wonderful folks on this forum as well as others that are willing to help. You do have to remember though, we're nearing crunch time to get our shows finished, so it may be a few days before you get an answer.

Above all, Have fun with this wonderful hobby. The first smile on someone's face makes all the work worthwhile.

Welcome to the madness that is Synchronized lights.

Ron

edit: As mentioned above, you'll also need an FM transmitter. EDM, Ramsey, Mobile Black Box, just to name a few that are popular. Outdoor speakers will work also, but you run into a possible problem with neighbors not liking the music loud

Edited by Ron Boyd

Thanks! The more I read, the more I'm realizing how much of a late start I'm getting. Like most newbies, I thought I was actually getting an early start by doing research in early August. I guess for a normal static display, I would be. But lesson learned, next year will be a much earlier start. :D

Will definitely take the advice of making a plan and sticking to it. Even with our static display, my wife and I drew it out on paper last year and once we had it, I didn't change it. Plan on buying two controllers at the most for this season, probably will go with the one you suggested.

I started planning 2012 in December of 2011, if that gives you any idea. I do have a 5 yr. old that takes a lot of my time, (by my choice mind you). I work on mine when time allows. Good luck.

Ron

While I'm not a newbie to animated shows, I decided to jump on the LOR bandwagon, and I've ordered the 16 channel pro starter package, 16 channel pro addon, mp3 show director, sequences and FM transmitter...feels like I got an awesome deal on pricing with this sale. However, I'm holding out for the new chassis which will accomodate the MP3 show director instead of housing it in another box. I was told that unit should be available in 2 to 3 weeks...not sure of the price of the combined unit, tho....

I need a couple of replacement CCR's, 4 CCP's and about 18 CCB's..

hope this helps you decide what to buy me... :rolleyes:

Edited by jimswinder

Just a couple ideas on what to get..

Knowing that a radio-simulcast transmitter is not required, it does make it easier for folks visiting your display that's in the colder climates. If you have sidewalk speakers, just set them at a level that cant readily be heard across the street. If you're in a more comfortable climate (like the stinkin' desert I'm in), speakers are perfectly acceptable, as long as:

1) the music is set low enough not to be heard by your neighbors inside their houses.. (heart-rythm-altering bass thumps from 1000amps like heard from lo-ryder cars.. not such a good idea), or

2) it's off by a reasonable time each night.

As for controllers themselves.. if you are ever contemplating doing a display for a church / business / public venue, then the Pro series (with UL approval) would be required for insurance / liability reasons. Otherwise, the Residential series should be your most likely choice of weapons.

As for a Starter Kit, might I suggest getting the RS485B (booster) unless you are in a small yard.. I think it's just a $9 bump from the standard -485. And, tho they dont fail often, get a second -485 as a backup (the standard -485 is .. $26 I think...) for, if it does fail, you will be at the mercy of UPS/FedEx/US Mail for delivery of a replacement. You have at least one backup controller, or set of lights, right?? None of them will work without the RS485, jus' sayin'.. You can ask how we senior (spelled "ol' farts") know this stuff :D

Edited by TJ Hvasta

Am I wrong, or at one time weren't the pro controllers rated for 40 amps as compared to 30 for the PC series? I just checked and they are both listed as 30 amps.

There were two, I cant remember which was which, but I too thot there were Pro Series, 40a, and Showtime Series, 30a that were upgradable to 40a by adding a second power feed to the other bank and swapping the fuses. (might actually be the same thing)

There is a CTB-DL mentioned on the sale page that is a 40A unit. Eveything I see about the residential PC series says 30. I'm reading that to be 2x20 or 2x15, so already assumes 2 line cords (I guess).

My understanding is the pro series uses the D series boards, so seems like it should be rated at 40 (2x20).

I need a couple of replacement CCR's, 4 CCP's and about 18 CCB's..

hope this helps you decide what to buy me... :rolleyes:

Sure, happy to buy them for you, as long as you don't mind if I "borrow" them...you know, just for a few decades. ;)

To give a little more background, I live in eastern PA. About 60 miles north of Philly, fairly close to the Pocono Mountains. So our winters are typical northeastern winters. Cold and can be snowy, depending on the year (record snows in 2011, but nothing last year...like absolute zero). I live on a fairly well used "main" roadway...not heavy traffic, but enough considering I live in the sticks. So there's no sidewalk. Neighbor on one side is 500' away. There's a cemetery on the other side...so they don't complain too often about the noise. :lol: And across the street is a 550 acre farm which isn't occupied year round. So unless I'm really blaring music, noise isn't a big issue. My front yard is quite large. From the front door to the street is probably 125' or so. The first 100' of that are fairly flat, a very slight downhill in spots. The last 25' have a significant downhill slope, so our house is set back and up from the roadway. The yard stretches 400' or so from side to side, but I don't plan on using all of it. Well, at least not yet. So I've got lots of room to work with.

Don't have any plans to do lighting beyond stuff at my house, so I'd use residential stuff for sure. So would you recommend the CTB16TC? Thanks for the suggestion on the RS485B, TJ, I'll check it out!

And Ron, I have an 8 year old son and twins (one boy, one girl) that just turned 5 last week, so I know what you mean about having time. They really enjoy the lights, so hoping they'll want to get involved.

There were two, I cant remember which was which, but I too thot there were Pro Series, 40a, and Showtime Series, 30a that were upgradable to 40a by adding a second power feed to the other bank and swapping the fuses. (might actually be the same thing)

Some of the Showtime series (1602w, for example) come with 2 power feeds already installed, where some (1600w, for example) come with 1 power feed.

There is a CTB-DL mentioned on the sale page that is a 40A unit. Eveything I see about the residential PC series says 30. I'm reading that to be 2x20 or 2x15, so already assumes 2 line cords (I guess).

My understanding is the pro series uses the D series boards, so seems like it should be rated at 40 (2x20).

According to LOR's website, D series boards (used in the Showtime series products) are rated for 40 amps, but the 1602 Showtime units ship as 30 amp units with 2 banks of inputs/output, each bank protected by a 15 amp fuse. To get the 40 amps, you need to replace the fuses with 20 amp fuses and make sure that each cord is plugged into its own 20 amp outlet.

And, as always, with all things electrical, check, check, and check again to make sure you're not gonna kill yourself or someone else.

Klay, the -16PC should be perfect for your yard then.. as for expanding in the future, yeah, I recommend the -485B. I know your area (central NJ boy here), so winters, you'll get drive-bys, not so much people standing outside looking at the show. And, if you do expand, the amplified -485B will let you go 'long on the cat5 cabling.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Placed my order this morning and can't wait to get it all. Bought the residential starter package, but paid for the upgraded 485B, as well as 100' CAT5 cable (no idea if I'll need it or not, but I'd rather have it and not need it instead of need it and not have it). Wanted to buy a second controller, but I need to leave budget room for additional lights, possibly a transmitter and a few other odds and ends. Still pumped though. Though I'm sure I'll want more, learning how to handle 16 channels will be a good challenge for my first year. Put in for the TryForFree too...maybe I'll get lucky!

Now to come up with an inspiration and make the most of what I've got...

Edited by Klayfish

Though I'm sure I'll want more, learning how to handle 16 channels will be a good challenge for my first year.

Now to come up with an inspiration and make the most of what I've got...

I can almost promise you you'll want more. That's why most folks call this C.L.A.P. Christmas Light Addiction Problem.

As far as inspiration is concerned, you'll probably surprise yourself once you get started. I did. I finished 20 songs last year for my first year. This was just before S3 was released including the Visualizer. Once S3 was released and I got my props wired in the visualizer, I quickly found I had too much NOT happening. I went back and spent a few more weeks tweaking the sequences.

Good luck with your display.

Ron