Light-O-Rama Forums

Power line communication status

Kent Stutzman

When Dan first mentioned CCBs, he talked about "power line injection". Now that we have CCBs, anyone heard about when the power line communication injector will be available (or is it already available and I missed the roll-out)?

Here is Dan's original message:

The CCB will use power line communication. That means that it will not need a data cable going to it but only a power cord plug and the data will go over the power line using regular extension cords. So for a mega tree you could run a single power cord and use in-line vampire plugs around the bottom of a tree and just plug the CCBs into it. Regular data cable control will also be included.

Kent

Edited by Kent Stutzman

i seen that to when it first came out. was hopeing they would be able to convert it for controllers. but no have not heard any more about it

An earlier message by Dan said there would also be a 4-channel, low-current (LED only), inexpensive, power-line controller in a small package. That would be very nice, as I could run 1 SPT-1 cable to my bushes with LEDs. Perhaps next year.

The CCB/CCP controller includes a Power Line Control (PLC) interface. There is also a 4-channel, low current controller in the works with PLC. We don't have any plans for including PLC in the high current controllers (LOR160x & PC) at this time. High current controllers would require a very bulky inductor that makes it impractical.

It's my fault that PLC is delayed. The Injector (the device that transfers the RS485 network data onto the power lines) turns out to be more complex than originally anticipated and I need to revisit the design. Unfortunately, there are several devices that need to get out before I can go back to the Injector.

Thanks, John .. I was wondering about this, too. But we have the CCBs (or I will when the order is shipped/received), which is the biggest hurdle. The rest can wait!