Light-O-Rama Forums

Simple RGB lights?

Box on Rails

I have 2 CCRs that I use to make 4 small arches in my display. I use the S3 software to control the ribbons. I'm trying to understand some of this CCR/DMX stuff let me see if I understand. if there are 300 pixels which I think would be 100 red, 100 blue and 100 Green LEDs and in the CCR or DMX world, all 300 channels are controlled separately for some amazing color changes and chase effects. Is this correct

If the answer is yes which I think is true, then here is my next question. is there a simple RGB strip that would use only 3 channels with 300 pixels and assign all 100 red to channel 1, 100 Green to channel 2 and 100 blue channel 3? What I want is to have a basic strip that has no chase/animation ability but still has the capability to change to the many colors available in the RGB world and use 3 channels for ease of sequencing.

Is this what I have read as being Dumb RGB strips?

If this exsists what would I need to have S3 control them?

If this has been discussed before I apologize but I was not having good luck with the search engine. Thanks for the help.

Yes, you are correct that your 2 CCR strips is 100 channels each of Red, Green, & Blue. Each of the 100 pixels can independently controlled for any color that the 3 colors can create.

Yes, there are also "dumb" RGB strips that use just three channels. Search for 5050 strips (there are others as well). The dumb strips are normally controlled by CMB16D (or CMB16-QC) DC controllers. Each strip would require 3 ports of a DC controller.

Big thing to remember between "Smart" strings and "Dumb" strings is that individusal pixels (combo of red,blue&green) are NOT addressable. The entire string reacts the same to the applied voltage. ALL pixels are red/maroon,pink,blue etx. at the same time. Smart strings have chips that allow each pixel to be addressed individually (first pixel yellow, 2nd pixel white, third pixel blue etc.) Of course the two types require different controllers. Prices of pixel strings between the two have recently become closer between dumb and smart strings, nearly making dumb strings much less price advantagous (other than contorller cost and sequencing complexity). For those situiations where you really don,t need individual addressability dumb srtrings make great sence.

Edited by jerrymac

Thanks Guys. I'm a little late in responding because I've been out of town, but you guys answered everything I needed to know. Now I know what I am looking for. I need about 10-16 foot dumb RGB strips for my House outline. and the CCR will work for the animated stuff.

You do not have to have S3 to use the dumb strips with a LOR DC controller. The later version of S2 will work.

(I don't remember exactly what version they started the RGB effects)

The DC controller needs a separate power supply, that runs itself and the DC dumb strips and plugs into the LOR network like the regular controllers. Then you can program 5 RGB channels. (the 16th doesn't get used)

If you need some links, let me know.

Scott

(I don't remember exactly what version they started the RGB effects)

Actually, it doesn't matter what version. Just program each channel with each color like you would with regular lights. Since each color is connected individually, it doesn't matter.

True, but the color fading and color selection is a huge timesaver. If you want to do just Red, Greem, Blue then yes, any version will work.

But other color mixing would be more difficult.

True, but the color fading and color selection is a huge timesaver. If you want to do just Red, Greem, Blue then yes, any version will work.

But other color mixing would be more difficult.

True. Using the three basic colors is possible if on a budget or if that's your choice of colors (including white). I myself use the red, white, blue and green in my display so it's pretty simple. Although color fading still works great with those three/four colors.

Have you seen the new DPC (dumb pixel controller) from Seasonal Entertainment? Perfect for all your "dumb" lights