Light-O-Rama Forums

Roof lights question.

Ralph D

Hey everyone,

I just got my new c9's and twisted pair wire and c9 holders from Paul at CD. ...Thanks paul, anyway I have a question for everyone and need some advice. My roof border is about 122 feet long, i will be running w,r,g and b around the border of the whole roof. since im useing twisted pair wire i could cut the line and make it as many channels as i want per color...but would need to get another lor box to do that. the real question is and im really not able to do that this year ....will i be running into any problems running one channel around the whole roof per color. there will be about 122 c9 dimmable c9 led lights per string, per channel. I'm just trying to think out side the box so if im not thinking of something I hope you guys....ladies too, can fill me in if there is something i'm missing here.

Thanks Ralph

If I did my math right.

.009x122= 1.098 amps per string of 122 led c9.

And If I'm not mistaken a normal controller can handle 2 amps per channel max without heat sink and 8 amps max with heat sink.

Hope this helped

I also use white, green, red, and blue on my roof outline with the dimmable C9 retro Led's from CDI. I decided to put each color of each edge of the roof on seperate channels. This way I can control the left, top, right, and front edge independently. (My roof outline is basically a square.)

This gives me more flexibiltiy, plus less amps per channel.

The downside, is that it requires all the channels on one controller to run the roof outline. Also more extension cords or SPT in my case. Some of the runs are quite long.

Jerry

• 2 weeks later...

Will you everyone will and thanks for your input, I've decided I'm going to try and separate each side of the house into four separate channels.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone, I want to start putting together my new strings today but i'm a little concerned about not knowing how the placement will work or look when having the light strings meet at the corners of the roof. I don't want to over lap the corners with lights on top of lights, I would hope i can come up with a way the lights will look continuous so you cant tell they are separate channels on each side of the roof. I'd like it to look fluent. I made these great pvc light hangers (as I call them) for along my roof peeks, that are sand filled and can be laid over the peek of my roof and are painted the same color of my roof so you cant see them, so there is no need for roof clips, shingle clips...or even worse nails, any of those things.

My thought of doing it was this. I've already measured the sides of my roof, so what I was going to do was lay the lights out in my driveway, I was thinking when it comes to the end of the string on my first side I would leave an extra foot of wire, bring in the next set of lights match the last light in the first set to the first light in the second set equally then zip tie the two sets together using that extra foot of wire at the end of the first set. I would use the steps at each corner. This way the lights all layout perfectly, there won't be any unnecessary gaps or overlaps and I can pretty much put up the whole roof as one string! then just connect the power cords at each corner for each channel.

what does everyone else think or do for theirs?

Edited by Ralph D

• The topic was locked