Light-O-Rama Forums

Good Source For Extension Cords...

TheUltimate

Hi all as I continue to plan for this year I am realizing I will need MANY extension cords. Any good places to get them at a lower cost?

If you're looking for short runs with cords about as waterproof as spt. There are the dollar store cords. I spoke to our local big name dollar store about cords, they are of course a buck, but are generally not stocked year round. Generally only available about Christmas time. That's not convenient for building ahead of time, but at least they're there.

When I needed extension cords I searched high and low for a deal. In the end I went to my local Home Depot and found 50' green colored grounded entension cords. Not wanting to pay there listed price I asked the associate to speak with the MOD. When the MOD came up to me I told her that I do a large Christmas display and I needed a lot of entension cords. If I remember correctly I think that I ended up buying 2 cases plus 4 100' foot cords. The MOD took 20% off the entire bill. Hope this helps you and remember it never hurts to ask!

I agree with Paul. Don't buy them, make them. If you standardize on SPT2, then you are compatible with the cheapy cords from the dollar stores and can put the vampire plugs on them for custom harnesses. I wish someone would have told me this a long time ago.

Darryl at Christmas Light Show has sales on the cord from time to time. Action lighting has vampire plugs. Otherwise search forums for SPT* and Vampire, there are a lot of sources.

I found my extension cords at Target about a week after Christmas. All marked at least 75% off. I have a 18 gallon rubbermaid container full of them now :-)

Menards is usually the best place to buy local cords. Before Halloween is a good rebate sale. Last year wasn't as good as previous years on cord sales, but deffinately better than Home Dopey.

I found my extension cords at Target about a week after Christmas. All marked at least 75% off. I have a 18 gallon rubbermaid container full of them now :-)

This is true, but the OP is looking for cords before the Holidays.

Question about the SPT2, I'm in MN and these cords will be covered in snow most of the time along with the plugs. I have never had a problem with the "outdoor" cords but wondered if the SPT2 vampire plugs would have issues getting wet. Also... what is a good rule of thumb for how much I can put on one cord and how long can I go with them? I have no problem doing the SPT2 idea and buying a spool if it won't cause me problems in the winter.

I'd recommend not trying to do much with them when it gets below zero. If you leave the cords alone, you'll have no problems. My display is >95% spt 1 or 2. Rabbits and squirrels are more of an issue than the cold.

We get pretty cold, wet and snowy (at times) here is Seattle and I have never had a problem with them. I use mostly LEDs so my loads are almost nil, but you can go 8 amps. I would not recommend that for real long runs at that ampacity.

I used SPT2 as speaker cord one year for external speakers and I had a mouse eat through the wire causing me fits on the speakers. I thought the speakers were failing till I went to tear down the display. No squirrels or rabbit problem yet for me.

Question about the SPT2, I'm in MN and these cords will be covered in snow most of the time along with the plugs. I have never had a problem with the "outdoor" cords but wondered if the SPT2 vampire plugs would have issues getting wet. Also... what is a good rule of thumb for how much I can put on one cord and how long can I go with them? I have no problem doing the SPT2 idea and buying a spool if it won't cause me problems in the winter.

There is a lot of useful information here about wire guage, length, and amperage limits. Don't want to burn your house down :)

http://www.planetchristmas.com/WireSize.htm

Here in Shaker Heights, Ohio, the fire department requires grounded extension cords (we're a church), so I don't think the SP2 will work for us -- although I doubt they'll inspect our display. I found a killer deal last year at Target after Christmas, and bought them out.

• 4 weeks later...

If I'm not to late, 1000Bulbs.com has the cheapest SPT-1 and SPT-2 wire I have found anywhere, around $145 for 1000'

If I'm not to late, 1000Bulbs.com has the cheapest SPT-1 and SPT-2 wire I have found anywhere, around $145 for 1000'

I got SPT-1 250' at Menards for $34 @ regular price, no shipping or waiting. 4 rolls =$136 + tax.

I just ordered 50 6ft indoor exnetsion cord with 3 outlet (1case), from Dollar Tree Direct. Free shipping to one of there stores total was $54.38. I thougt that was a good deal. as long as you order buy the case.

True Value Hardware stores, specifically Wilco Farmers, around here have had specials on extension cords throughout the year. 25 foot 16 ga. cords are just $2.50 that's just 0.10 a foot, with integral ends that makes it cheaper than most SPT I have seen! I've been buying them by the case, now the checkers know me as the crazy Christmas light guy.

• 2 weeks later...

I just ordered 50 6ft indoor exnetsion cord with 3 outlet (1case), from Dollar Tree Direct. Free shipping to one of there stores total was $54.38. I thougt that was a good deal. as long as you order buy the case.

I've purchased these before, but can't find them on their site. How did you find them? Do you have a link?

Call Customer service 1-877-530-TREE (8733) they aren't on there website but when I called and the lady looked up the item in there system. and i had my order in a week.

Edited by MCas4380