Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR Questions for beginners....

Guest guest

Merry Christmas Everyone!

I'm officially a freak because I'm already thinking about next year's display. I've been on the PC site just about everyday and finally got the courage to post (so bear with me).

I want to computerize but am not sure if I will go with LOR or Al (depends on the price for the feature sets offered after Christmas). As this is an LOR forum, I wanted to ask a few questions that I haven't found the answers to yet...

1. How do you synchronize music to LOR? I didn't see any "modules" or add-ons to the controller on the LOR site?

2. Can LOR run stand alone (after you program with the computer, disconnect it from the computer and put it outside to run on its own)?

3. Can you buy the current LOR software version today and it will be compatible with the new hardware (yet to be released)? It's my understanding that the current software will get a free upgrade and the next gen. software will be more expensive...so it's less expensive to purchase the software now :]

Finally, I just want to thank everyone for their posts. I'm learning tons (daily) and I appreciate everyone taking some time to share their knowledge with others.

"already planning next year's display" ... just get in line with the rest of us. You'll be in good company.

All of the lighting effects are defined through the LOR software (as you noted, by the current version now and get the more-expensive upgrade FREE when it comes out).

I don't run any of my programs standalone, but it can be done with some/all controllers. I'll leave that for someone else to explain. :-)

Stick around and ask questions ... we all learn from each other.

mcnamara9 wrote:

1. How do you synchronize music to LOR? I didn't see any "modules" or add-ons to the controller on the LOR site?

2. Can LOR run stand alone (after you program with the computer, disconnect it from the computer and put it outside to run on its own)?

To sync to music, you create a "musical sequence" in the editor as opposed to an "animated sequence." When you select musical, the editor asks for a sound file (MP3 or WAV). I prefer WAV because you can use the speed setting to get better timings.

There is no external synching module for LOR (as there is with AI). It DOES mean that you need the computer connected if you want to play synched music during the display.

LOR will run stand-alone without music.

All LOR equiptment will be compatible with LOR 2. Also the software price is going up for LOR2 but it is a free upgrade for LOR 1 software owners. So buy in now and you may save some money!!!

Happy LOR-Lighting!!

Zac