Light-O-Rama Forums

I Need Ideas!

TheUltimate

I put all my props and lights and such into the visualizer and after staring at all my work for quite awhile I am noticing that I have some dead space that I really want to fill up with something. I have about 3 open channels left (could have more if I combined a few things). Any thoughts on what I could/should do with the dead space behind the arches on the left side of my display? Money is tight so something I can build myself fairly cheaply would be great.

Thanks in advance!

2012Display.jpg

look like you have it pretty balanced as is. The only thing I might do would be is to add lights to the bushes by the door. looks like you have more bushes than channels but like you said you can double up on a channel

yup, I agree. Looks good the way it is, but since you have extra channels, put lights on the bushes. Maybe something on the fence.

Edited by David Rise

Maybe go for three large (really various size) snowflakes made from tomato cages (two per flake).. they'd go on the large trees to the left and right of the house

..easy to make.. cut cages at middle of each loop, bend flat, bend bottom rings into a point (like an arrow), weld/zip-tie together, wrap with white garland, wrap with (think it's two sets) of white minis.. hang from the tree.. I have three of these in various sizes on the front of my house.

You could also drive rebar or pvc into the ground, mount these flakes onto them at bare spots in the yard..

post-4454-0-28106000-1343605664_thumb.jp

post-4454-0-56904400-1343605721_thumb.jp

Edited by TJ Hvasta

You have 3 open channel that could be left open just in case a channel goes dead on one of the boards, however I would simply have a spare controller card period.

Now back to your question what to do with the open channels. You put 1 channel on each of the two trees & you put 1 channels on the bushes & the fence.......kinda like a back ground effect. Personally I think you ought to leave the fence & the bushes static & add that one channel to the whole roof out line.

I would say add spme lights on those trees to give your display a "background" effect.

-John

I would say that based on your video on your blog (posted below), I would put a line of lights across the fence top (or stripe it)-- at least one line of the multicolor and another set of the blue, and maybe a set of the white. That would counter balance what is on the garage.

In place of the white above though, I would instead use that one channel for stringing strobes in those big trees (would look cool since they will be dark). Probably could do them sparcely, maybe 12-15 in the biggest tree, and 10-12 in the smaller tree. That many could easily be on 1 channel.

Someday those big trees need lights--they are begging for them in my opinion (will take a lot of them to make scalloped lines across the front of the tree, or go 360 degrees).

Also, could add some depth behind the megatree by adding lights to those 3+ big round bushes in front of the window. At first they could all be on 1 channel per color, but someday could have each bush on a separate channel.

After season you could pick up some lighted candy canes cheap and make a cane spinner or 2 to put on that fence.

Either way, you have got a lot to work with so have fun over the years.

• Like 1

You could add 2 or 3 more deer to santas sleigh, with each one going a bit higher . BTW your sequence looks nice.

Jerry

I made some changes and the santa and reindeer from the video had to be removed because of cost and time to make it. I work full time and go to school full time so I have to be realistic fitting time in to put this first LOR year together. I'm already thinking I may be a bit too ambitious :0)

Very nice.

How are you doing your mega tree? How many strings of lights, etc?

The orange lighting is a nice contrast to the usual red green blue white.

What is the object on your garage? Looks more for halloween, or maybe I'm just not understanding what it is?

The mega tree (which will only be 10' tall so I don't know how "mega" it is) will have 12 strings up and over. Next year I want to add colors to it but the budget won't allow that this year. The thing on the garage is a wreath. Thanks for all the advice I really appreciate it!

The mega tree (which will only be 10' tall so I don't know how "mega" it is) will have 12 strings up and over. Next year I want to add colors to it but the budget won't allow that this year. The thing on the garage is a wreath. Thanks for all the advice I really appreciate it!

Don't worry, it builds every year. Soon you'll be "that guy" in your neighborhood. :)

I think it looks fantastic the way it is. If you look at my avatar you'll see my Mega and minis were set up similar last year, so I may be biased. For a suggestion though, I'm attaching a quick pdf to show the changes I thought of. Not much, just re-arranging things.

Just a thought, but again, I think it looks great like it is.

Ron

Oh, and TJ, thanks for the Snowflake instructions. That's exactly what I was looking for. I tried making one with coro, but it didn't come out so well.

Edited by Ron Boyd

Yer welcome Ron, I saw this in another forum yrs ago, looks really good when done, and you can cut the legs down to diff lengths. Figuring out how to wrap the minis.. well, thats a bit tough, but worth it.

Ultimate.. As for being too ambitious.. every one of us says that when we start, but we git'er'done! You will too! =)

I think it looks great as it is, i would be inclined to keep the spare channels or throw some strobes on the tree maybe.

and another thank you TJ for the snowflake idea, i shall make a couple myself :)

I second the strobes in the big trees as a pretty cool idea! Your plan overall looks great though!

Also thanks to TJ for snowflakes...those are really nifty...think I'll do a few of those this year!

I like your set up the way it is however if your just looking to add something with the three chs you have left, what about two 9 foot all white light poles, they can go up and down with the lights in three sections

or all three sections on at once or flashing, great accent to any song.

Just an idea.

Dennis

i think a 20ft dinosaur over the top of your mega tree would be awsome but if you dont like that idea i would go with the strobes in the tree