Light-O-Rama Forums

Do I Have What It Takes To Solder The Controller Kit?

TheUltimate

Yes, I know it's a question that has been asked before and I appologize for asking again :0) but I need some reassurance that I can handle this or some honesty that I should stay away from it.

It's raining today! That means I get out of yard work and can work on LOR! Quick question... I am going to go with the controller kits that I will solder myself. I haven't soldered a circuit board (those little kits you can get) since electronics class in high school (15 years ago). For those of you that have done this kit, how hard is the soldering? Is it easy to screw up or pretty straight forward?

Read the directions 2x. This was my first major job as well in terms of soldering. Withing a span of 8 hours I had 2 PC16 kits working. I reccomend running to Radio Shack and picking up a few more of those little 2 dollar solder toys and see if you can get a clean solder and not burn through or have any cold solders. Its time consuming and tedious, but keep close track to the directions and you will be fine.

• Like 1

Exactly William! I couldn't agree more. Now, I've NEVER done any board level soldering, so that's just what I did as well, went to Radio Shack got a couple different small project (one was a cool little Christmas tree) and became somewhat familiar. By the time I got done with my fourth controller I felt like a pro. I would bet with your electronics class it would be no problem for you. Just like riding a bike. :)

Bill & John are right.. One thing you MUST DO! Not kidding.. Invest in 1) a bright light and 2) a magnifying glass or lamp. You WILL get the resistor color codes mixed up without adequate lighting and vision. And you will NOT be able to read the part number/values on those micro capacitors without one.

That said.. read the assembly manual several times. Check the part number & value before you put it in the holes. Once you've checked it, stick the part into the holes then, before you solder it, check it again. Compare that single part (resistor, capacitor, diodes, or IC sockets) to the picture again, before you put any heat to it. Once you've assembled two or three kits, you'll get comfortable making more. Plan on 4hrs for one kit.. thats the average newbuild time.. you'll get to the 1 1/2hr build time before long.

Edited by TJ Hvasta
  • Like 1

The practice with the small kits for me was not applying so much heat the pad lifted. TJ pointed out something I did miss, VISION! I dont use a magnifier glass but I do have plenty of light. I also test and relabel all the components with a meter. Im OCD so it eases my mind.

Have fun with it, if you get frustrated with something just turn off the iron and walk away, more heat on something that has a bad solder doesnt help. Youtube how to remove solder, how to fix a bad flow, and the basics. You can have it done today, and plugged in running lights!

And now for the view from the other side:

I can solder well enough to splice/repair cut wires. I even managed to replace a pixel in a CCR. But looking at it in terms of dollars and sense (meaning the common variety) at sale prices there's usually under 20 bucks between the kit price and the card assembled (and tested) price. I'm about as frugal as anyone, but for 20 bucks or less, I'll save the time and aggravation and let the pros at LOR do it every time.

• Like 2

If you do choose to solder, let me reinforce the "read the directions" directive. If you don't, you might do something really stupid, like solder eight out of the 16 optoisolator chips in backwards. Now who would do a thing like that? <blush> I have no idea :unsure:

I'll leave the "is it worth it to solder" question to you. Like George says, it's not a lot of difference price-wise and if you value your time...

What is rain? Have not had any in along time. It was only 111 today

Edited by Melvin Stoddard

Take it from someone that has never soldered before. It's a piece of cake. But make sure you follow the directions exactly. I messed up my first board because I didn't read.

Also double and triple check that the parts are installed the right direction before you solder them. The chips can be inserted backwards and you won't notice until you plug the unit in and it doesn't work.

Read the directions and double/triple check before you solder.

I'm about as frugal as anyone, but for 20 bucks or less, I'll save the time and aggravation and let the pros at LOR do it every time.

It's not about saving money. It's about saying: "I built that display myself, down to the component level!"

It's not about saving money. It's about saying: "I built that display myself, down to the component level!"

I can see how that would be true for the first five or six boards,but for me it would become more of a job then rewarding

I can see how that would be true for the first five or six boards,but for me it would become more of a job then rewarding

I've got to disagree Jim, I solder my own boards, not because I have to, but because I like to do it, it helps relieve stress, at least for me.

And now for the view from the other side:

I can solder well enough to splice/repair cut wires. I even managed to replace a pixel in a CCR. But looking at it in terms of dollars and sense (meaning the common variety) at sale prices there's usually under 20 bucks between the kit price and the card assembled (and tested) price. I'm about as frugal as anyone, but for 20 bucks or less, I'll save the time and aggravation and let the pros at LOR do it every time.

+1 on what George said. And for bragging rights? Others won't even know the difference on whether you built the board or built the whole show. Most are more impressed with sequencing than the tech stuff anyway IMHO.

I am electronic tech at FAA (soldering comm equipment components) and prefer paying a little extra to have it done with no worries and quick support from LOR (exchange if needed).

If you have plenty of spare time, then maybe building the kit yourself will be a learning experience. I for one do not.

Just my thoughts...

I've got to disagree Jim, I solder my own boards, not because I have to, but because I like to do it, it helps relieve stress, at least for me.

I agree,for some they find sequencing to be more of a job,but I enjoy it. I find that sequencing is the most rewarding part other than see you show in lights, now that being said, it is the most time comsuming part of what we do