Light-O-Rama Forums

sd-mp3 vs computer control

Guest guest

i recently purchased 3 1602 controllers and i am going to add 16 more channels before christmas.i have already begun sequencing. my question revolves around controlling the show. during the christmas season i usually have to work a couple weeks of evenings meaning i am not at home to babysit my show so the sd-mp3 seems very interesting to me.i was wondering the pros and cons in using this unit vs.a computer to control my display.

bob hill wrote:

i recently purchased 3 1602 controllers and i am going to add 16 more channels before christmas.i have already begun sequencing. my question revolves around controlling the show. during the christmas season i usually have to work a couple weeks of evenings meaning i am not at home to babysit my show so the sd-mp3 seems very interesting to me.i was wondering the pros and cons in using this unit vs.a computer to control my display.

Robert... I used the MP3 director last year and it works great! No problems were found before, during, and ending the show.

The only con I know of: should of bought it sooner!

I have a separate (rather old) PC that I bring online during the holidays to run my show.

I've never had the computer fail to start a show on-time. From a reliability standpoint, leaving everything connected to your computer is just as reliable as running it from an SD card.

Running from an SD card is great, I know a few people who did it this past season. Their only complaint was having to reprogram the card if they wanted to do something different one night. (Or if family was coming over, etc.)

If you're the type that's going to plug it in and forget it, then the SD card is the way to go. If you decide that you can live with the occasional reprogram to do something different, then it's a good idea as well.

I ran the MP3 director this past year and it was GREAT I had no problems at all. Like Don said the only issue I had was if I wanted to change the times or orders of the songs (like if someone comes over outside of your normal times) then I would have to pull the SD card and reprogram it but that only took a grand total of about 3 minutes. I had heard that LOR was working on some new firmware that would address these scheduling issues but not positive on that (I hope they do). I very much plan on using it again this season and would recommend it to any one. I put it in the same enclosure with my Ramsey 25B (if I knew how to upload pictures I would post a picture of it) and it worked like a CHAMP I got about 600 feet of good signal and they did not interfere with each other at all.