Light-O-Rama Forums

Rh's Amazing Grace - Read This If You've Posted A Video Of It

Tim Fischer

We know that home displays are totally protected and if a label sues your going to win and they'll end up paying you.

I'm new at this, but is this really true? The "paying me" if they sue is really just making me whole for court costs?

I'm assuming maybe you're an attorney, so might have some insight that would help. I'm reading just enough about all of this to scare me a bit.

Guest Don Gillespie

I'm new at this, but is this really true? The "paying me" if they sue is really just making me whole for court costs?

I'm assuming maybe you're an attorney, so might have some insight that would help. I'm reading just enough about all of this to scare me a bit.

Gary don't be afraid there are some really smart people on here that can help you I unfortunatly am not one of them I do not know the laws in the USA up here in Canada they leave us alone, I think it has something to do with the cold ass wheather up here, but I am sure as Timon stated ( I think he is a lawyer) not sure though he would be the go to guy.

There have been many threads about licencing for music used in our displays, people have contacted music licencing bodies and the outcome has been that there are no issues with us using licenced music. However this counts as personal use, the problems come when you post it to the internet which is a big grey area.

the problems come when you post it to the internet which is a big grey area.

Agreed completely, which is the exact title of this thread Tim started (Rh's Amazing Grace - Read This If You've Posted A Video Of It). Everyone might also notice the the title say "Rh" and no where in the initial posting is this person's whole name. Good idea by Tim- Planet Christmas is an open site to the public so it's searchable, which would only draw attention to this particular person's current legal issue.

Turning all of this into a "can I use so-and-so's music in my display" is really counter productive for everyone (IMO) because as everyone knows and has mentioned, this is an ongoing topic in the world of synchronized muscial/light displays. Bottom line, if you're concerned about it, don't post videos, especially on YouTube or on sites/forums that are open to the public. I personally have a few videos on YouTube but no new ones in a few years. I keep some older videos on my website as well but I haven't really posted things up in many years. It started because I didn't want to try to video everything with the massive song list that I have but it's worked out on the legal front as well because I've never had an issue of someone sniffing around my songs/videos.

Best of luck to Richard and thanks to Tim for filling us in.

Edited by rmjohn99

All the videos out there with music playing and for some reason it seems that only the displays are being targeted. I'm not taking the song out of my display. I purchased the mp3 legally.

Just stop posting them to youtube. Create your own website if you want to post videos (and it seems that is risky now). Besides, it takes WAY to long to upload and it sucks up all of your bandwidth

Let's not dig up the licensing thing again. That has been beaten every which way.

Dang, apparently there is a daily limit to the "LIKE" button? I can only like x number of responses? What if I'm a passivist and want to agree with everyone on every topic?

I'm sad, it's this particular video that has led me into this.

Christian, the link is part of the photo so the link can't be picked up by Google.

Its amazing how someone will exploit a situation like this guys done.

• 2 months later...

Not that I want to side with Yule. This is an issue we all face if we decide to make DVD's of our show and trade them for a donation for our charity. I am glad I saw this because I was thinking about doing the same thing as Richard did. He actually charged $10 for his DVD but stated the money would go to his charity. That's a stickey issue! Even though he may have edtied the track, he still put a price tag on media that has copyrighted material on it.

Did he actually make money from the video on youtube? who knows? Personally I'm tired of the constant "matched third party" BS on youtube and will post very little there anymore.

Good luck to Richard! He is such a gifted man and none of us deserve this treatment.

• The topic was locked