Light-O-Rama Forums

Black Pipe For Mega Tree

captainron19

Has anyone here used 1.25" Black Pipe for a mega Tree with the pole pin to utilize 2 pieces of smaller pipe to be joined for one larger pole? Was thinking of using the pin system to replace my current setup to have (2) 10' pieces of pipe to make a 20' pole to replace my current telescoping aluminum flag pole.

Also for those of you using the 1.25" pipe. Is the 1.25" the outside diameter? Just trying to figure some things out and dont have my supplies near me. Reason I am asking is that my current configuration is an aluminum telescoping flagpole where the base section of pole is 2-5/8". My plan is to do this if I switch over to the black pipe......

Take my bottom section of the current telescoping pole that goes into the sleeve that is cemented in the ground and cut a section of that off (enough so it will still fit completely into the sleeve in the ground + a couple of inches to make it easy to remove in and out). Take a piece of pvc that will allow for the new black pipe to slide into and center the pvc in the bottom portion of the current pole that I cut....... once centered my plan is to pour some cement into it to hold the PVC in place. Then I can insert this into the ground sleeve and place the new 1.25" black pipe pole into that

Sound feasible?

Sizing for pipe is based on the outside diameter. I would recommend though that you use galvanized pipe vs black pipe. Unless you paint it, black pipe will start corroding in the weather, galvanized pipe is of course protected by the galvanization. How are you planning on connecting the two pieces? If you are looking to use a standard pipe coupling, it will work, but it will also be weak point. I'm also planning on making a long pipe, though I may go to the local plumbing house and see about getting a 20' piece. I'll just have to figure out how to get it home.

Rick

I thought of using a 20' section also..... the only problem I would run into is where to store it in the off season. My plan was to use (2) 10' sections joined with this pipe pin.... http://www.christmaslightshow.com/pole-pin.html From what I hear it is much stronger than a coupling and it will allow for my lights to be winched up easily as there will be no bulge at the joint if I were to use a coupling

Thanks jbzeus..... thats the one I plan on using....for some reason the link I copied and pasted didnt point to the right spot

Guest wbottomley

Has anyone here used 1.25" Black Pipe for a mega Tree with the pole pin to utilize 2 pieces of smaller pipe to be joined for one larger pole? Was thinking of using the pin system to replace my current setup to have (2) 10' pieces of pipe to make a 20' pole to replace my current telescoping aluminum flag pole.

Also for those of you using the 1.25" pipe. Is the 1.25" the outside diameter? Just trying to figure some things out and dont have my supplies near me. Reason I am asking is that my current configuration is an aluminum telescoping flagpole where the base section of pole is 2-5/8". My plan is to do this if I switch over to the black pipe......

Take my bottom section of the current telescoping pole that goes into the sleeve that is cemented in the ground and cut a section of that off (enough so it will still fit completely into the sleeve in the ground + a couple of inches to make it easy to remove in and out). Take a piece of pvc that will allow for the new black pipe to slide into and center the pvc in the bottom portion of the current pole that I cut....... once centered my plan is to pour some cement into it to hold the PVC in place. Then I can insert this into the ground sleeve and place the new 1.25" black pipe pole into that

Sound feasible?

I sure do use it.

I just ordered the pulleyhead, hookhead, and pole pin. So I'll have to get back to you once I have a chance to test it.

I moved so had to come up with another idea for my tree.

I need my total height to be 25' b/c it's going to be behind a 8' fence. Hopefully it will look like it's in mid air.

If you PM me I'll let you know how it goes next weekend when i try to build it.

Thanks jbzeus..... thats the one I plan on using....for some reason the link I copied and pasted didnt point to the right spot

Hey Captain,

I use the pole pin as well from Darryl, you will need to get a round file as the weld inside the pipe where it is roled needed to be smoothened out...takes all of about 5 minutes to do...but just a heads up. If you stick your finger in side the 1.25 inch pipe, you will feel it very readily.

For those of you that use two 10' sections of pipe with either a coupler or this pin, how do you get the pipe in the air? I assume you simply "walk" it up, till its vertical. Do you do anything to reinforce the connection point while walking it up? My star is a 3 dimensional wire frame with rope light and it's heavy. The weight of the star will put a lot of pressure on the connection point if I'd try to walk one up.

Currently my tree height is limited by how high I can reach off a step ladder, about 16'. I'd like to get to 20' - 25'.

How many people does it take to raise your mega tree pole?

tks!

Joe

My son pretty much raised it by himself last year, all I had to do was keep the bottom planted close to the hole (with my feet). It was not as easy as he thought it was going to me though. With the topper on it and the guy wires, it makes it challenging. I have a tree closeby I was going to use with some rope to help ease it up. In my mind, it is safer to have two people on the pole itself with one person keeping the bottom close to the hole, but those two guys need to be able to work well together! This is one of the more challenging aspects of setting up my display.

pipe is not measured by outside or inside .ablack pipe that is 1 1/4 is actually 1.660 od and is not actually 1 1/4 id size is that 1/2 pipe is called is the i.d size but not the exact size

Buckeye,

While in the Air Force we had to practice raising up a 40' pole that is make of 8 5' sections. And I think it was either 3 or 4 sets of guy wires. This pole was much more easier to bend or even fold in half. Now it is all in the guy wires. 2 of the 3 sets of legs are anchored and the 3 anchor is set and ready. Now those two sets of legs are tied to the anchors so that they will be tight when the pole is raised up. The bottom of the pole is set so it is in the middle of the anchors and the top is out between the two legs. Now grabbing the 3rd set of legs (one at the top and two more down the length of the pole). You start pulling on all 3 guy wires and slowly raise it up. Trying to not let it lean to the left or right. Not easy to do but do-able.

^^ Yep, completely agree.. pulling the guy lines at the rate needed to keep the mast from bowing is the key. Had to set up 4-8 masts for dipole antennas more times than I ever care to remember.. I still do that each year for Amateur Radio Field Day.

I also use the pole pin and havnt had any troubles. My star is 3 ft tall mounted on top if i put it all together it takes 2 people to stand it up but i have a 3 ft pc of pipe buried in the ground that i slide it into so the overall height is 20 feet. Last year i tried it in sections put the one pipe in the ground and then want up the ladder with the other pipe and coupled it together that still need 2 people just to help lift it.

I definately like the pole pin, now that I've seen it. I still recommend Galvanized pipe over Black though.

This will be my first year with the mega tree. Galvanized is more expensive, but not as likely to rust. And I believe the pipe is thicker and thus less likely to bend and fold over. But hey I am German and tend to over engineer. So I got that topper that has the pulley, threaded for a star, and has the 4 arms to put in guy wires. Note: 4 guy wires not three. And it is only going to be 17' tall. If this thing drops, I am going to shoot myself. I think we all have learned many lessons from that guy out in Washington state (sorry Jim). So, I agree with Rick, galvanized pipe for me too..