Light-O-Rama Forums

Problems With S3 File Extentions

gmac

Opened a support ticket w/ LOR and still don't have the answer, Maybe someone hear can explain my confusion

Below is a copy of what I wrote:

Maybe I didn't explain fully when i opened the ticket. I just installed S3 (been using S2 for 2 years w/no problems)......Upon saving a sequence in S3 I found 3 icons

1- had no file extension

2- had .lms file extension

3- had .lsv file extension

S3 will not open the file created in S3 with a .lms extension ( just found out even if it says .lms it's REALLY a .lsv file)BUT S3 will open a .lms file that I created in S2. S3 will only open the named file with no visible file extension. I just lost 3 days worth of sequencing cuz I saved the .lms file like I've done for the past 2 years in S2. Is it me or the software?

Why do we have to see 3 visible LOR Sequence Icons?

and why won't S3 open the file like S2 with a visible .lms exrtension?

Did you try opening the sequence from inside the Sequence Editor using the "recent sequence" tab like Don suggested last night?

Yes, I tried that, then I uninstalled and re installed S3 and when I try and open .lms fiile it says unrecognized file........Even though it says .lms it's really a .lsv file, I found that later....Can you guys get S3 to open a file with a .lms extension created in S3?

Mine works.

what about opening the "lms" in note pad save as a text file then rename back to lms and try again.

Right click on the file name, then, select "copy", right click and "paste" it to the same folder or on the desktop, (wherever it is on your pc).

Your new file will look something like this........(Filename.lms.copy.bak).

Now, remove the copy.bak, and try to open it.

I tried this a little while ago and it worked. Hope it works for you.

Ron

In a thread about this same subject someone suggested the problem might be related to your Windows Explorer setup. There's a check-box for hiding known file extensions. This is checked by default. Uncheck it.

In your original post, file number one - the one with no file extension - would be the sequence file you saved. Try clicking on that one.

Edited by George Simmons

In a thread about this same subject someone suggested the problem might be related to your Windows Explorer setup. There's a check-box for hiding known file extensions. This is checked by default. Uncheck it.

In your original post, file number one - the one with no file extension - would be the sequence file you saved. Try clicking on that one.

If your on windows7

Start/Control Panel/Folder Options

View Tab

Hidden files and folders

uncheck "hide extensions for known file types"

Thank You guys for all the feed back .........My uncheck "hide extensions for known file types"

was unchecked. Tried a few other things nothing worked. Guess the file is gone.

Guess what I'll be doing this weekend!!

Thanks again for all the input

Thank You guys for all the feed back .........My uncheck "hide extensions for known file types"

was unchecked. Tried a few other things nothing worked. Guess the file is gone.

Guess what I'll be doing this weekend!!

Thanks again for all the input

Did you look in the "Recycle Bin"

Did you look in the "Recycle Bin"

YEP !! I think something hiccuped in S3 or my computer cuz i had 2 files with an .LSV extention ...........I still don't understand why their file structure couldn't be like S2 and let these other file extentions that S3 creates be transparent.

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

Same problem here, but more so when I send a copy to my laptop it adds an .LSV extention to the end. Then my laptop can't open it. I like to do programming on the road when I have some spare time but have an issue trying to open it. I get that dreaded popup to find the program to open it. I have just deleted the extension and it worked. But when I try to update my main computer, it won't take. Is the .LSV a lightorama extention? Maybe a bug in the software? Any ideas or suggestions? I tried the ones above but no luck.

I'm also running winows 7 with S3 v3.2.4

Thanks for any imput!

Bob

Open SE first. Then select the sequence from the SE file menu. This was already suggested above but I am echoing it.

When you click save in SE, it creates a number of files. So if you try to select a file from recent files or from the sequences folder you are getting messed up.

Seems I have the same problem.

All file extensions are visible. Both S3 versions are registered.

1. Computer 1 saving the file is operating windows 7

2. Computer 2 receiving saved file is windows vista

3. When computer 1 saves the files and then views the files in the "save as" window the .lms files show a locked icon on them, they are saved as regular files I thought.

4. When computer 2 views the files in explorer through the network the files appear as .lsv files not .lms files.

5. When computer 1 transfers the .lms file to computer 2 the files now appear as .lsv files and are unrecognized by S3 on computer 1

Edited by BrianC

4. When computer 2 views the files in explorer through the network the files appear as .lsv files not .lms files.

That right there tells me that even though you think you have file extensions showing, you don't. If you are copying the file over from Computer 1 to Computer 2, and it's showing up as a .LSV, then you are most likely copying over "Jingle Bells.lms.lsv" and not "Jingle Bells.lms" (see below.)

There are 4 extensions in use here.

.LMS

.BAK

.LCS

.LSV

For example, you shoud have

Jingle Bells.lms

Jingle Bells.lms.bak

Jingle Bells.lms.lcs

Jingle Bells.lms.lsv

Double check again. If you don't have those files for any given sequence, then you probably don't have file extensions viewable. The "Lock" icon you are seeing is part of Windows 7, and has no effect on the operation of the file within LOR.

When all file extensions are turned on for both computers here is what I found.

You can not see the .lms files across the network.

You can transfer the visable .lms file from the host computer to the network second computer and it will then show up on the network second computer.

Strange but true. Thanks for the help I can work with that.

Edited by BrianC

Don: If you look back, I started this post back in july...I opened a support ticket 3 times and really got no where with LOR support desk .....All I know this can be and to me and probably others a real nusance Cuz I lost a whole week of programing......I guess my point is we didn't have those issues with S-2.....Can't the lsv file and lcs file be kept in the background?? I personally don't care if I have to resize my animation window every time I reopen my file, resizing it still takes a lot less time then redoing a sequence. I know you don't do the coding for S-3 but maybe when your talking to the powers to be at LOR you could mention this.

Right of wrong every time I save a S-3 file I go into the folder and carefully delete those files anyway so I don't have a reoccurance of last july

When all file extensions are turned on for both computers here is what I found.

You can not see the .lms files across the network.

You can transfer the visable .lms file from the host computer to the network second computer and it will then show up on the network second computer.

Strange but true. Thanks for the help I can work with that.

Sounds like a Windows7 to Vista thing, because I can see the file extensions on my other computer just fine. Odd.

@gmac - I don't know what happened on your system last year, but it had to have been a very odd occurrence. Every show I had running last year had S3, and I never ran into the issue you did. Nor have I run into it when working on this years shows.

Maybe LOR could have put the two files in a different directory, but they are very useful (to some/most) people. Getting rid of the .LSV file would be a major annoyance for some, and getting rid of the .LCS file would be a show stopper for others. I'd much prefer those two files not go anywhere.

What ever happened in your case, in my opinion, was a fluke. If it were me, I wouldn't be worried about it going forward. I also wouldn't be deleting the .LSV and .LCS files every time. Just one more thing that could go wrong.

You might want to give consideration to using Dropbox for your sequence files. One feature they have is the ability to easily restore deleted files.

@gmac - You might want to give consideration to using Dropbox for your sequence files. One feature they have is the ability to easily restore deleted files.

I didn't even know they had one for those purposes........Thanks for the heads up