Light-O-Rama Forums

Our 2012 Yard Theme

TJ Hvasta

Well, we're think we're doing this (Wizard of Oz) instead of Corpse Bride yard.. Diane and I talked thru each of the movie scenes, to decide what we can make/build.. the winged monkeys will be the hardest thing to make. The rest, Emerald City, Witches Castle will be plywood/styro cutouts seen "at a distance".. (along the front yard/back wall) .. Talking Trees props I can make with servos. Talking Witch will be built on a skeleton (actually already made).

We'd like to do The Scarecrow, Tin Man, Lion and Dorothy with live actors in costume. I am working (as I write this) on the audio clips for the witch's skull, and the lighting. A lot to do in 99 days!!! Thanks to Chantel fer th' Wicked Witch prop idea!!

I really hope we can pull this off!!

Pretty neat TJ. The witch is awesome, the skeleton I think you had last year right?

You ever figure out how to run the I think the number was 30 skulls?

Yeah, the skelly was actually two yrs ago, last year was the "last year" for the Black Pearl/Black Tide (hadnt decided what to call it).. the witch is a commercial prop, even $200 is a good deal for it, but I'd hack it to run the jaw snoother, and more realistically..

32+ servos (54 actually), but as we're doing WoO, that cuts the number down a lot, but I'm still going to have to run VSA on one machine, and LOR on another, unless i can get them to run at the same time, same machine. I start a long 4-day trip tomorrow.. hey, I'm actually heading to MCO tomorrow, how far are you? We stay at the Rosen, across from the Convention Center on I-Drive..

So TJ if you're doing the Wizard of Oz this year can we expect a change of avatar? :)

BTW: The witch looks good and its a heck of a plan you got there.

A chaaange.. iiiin ... avatarrrr... hmmm, 'ad naught thot o' tha'.. I ratha' doubt it.. bu', ya ne'er know 'mate P-)

I just uploaded the two Mean Wizard Of Oz 7ch faces.zip to the Sequence Folder in Software.. both have audio. I still have to do a couple of the witch faces too.. I think I'll have to find some green ropelight for that.

Edited by TJ Hvasta

Im about 2 hours out of that area. Its my long work weekend. Ill try to come out that way for a drink or something, pick your brain on those servos.

ok, no worries.. yeah, 2hrs is to long fer lunch.. My folks are up by Jax, and I have a couple more MCO trips in August..

Lara Croft as Dorothy?

going to have to catch you sometime round these parts.

Still waiting for another video as well . . . . I love to fly, gotta be a great job.

Also the Avatar change would also constitute a change in the Signature mate, savy?

Have you seen the ('think i asked before) Avianca flying video, w/ Awolnation's SAIL? This is where i got the inspiration for my video..

I'm also saving my pennies for a GoPro camera.. 170deg field of view.. sah-weeet!

• 3 weeks later...

The Witches face (top video) is actually one of my 3-axis skulls my wife did a plaster face on.. she added the rubber nose, paper mache skin, eyes and brows.. mounted it on a pvc skeletal frame and plugged it in. There arrrre quite a few options for the face/skull/head.. Use a Talking Boris skull, make a full 3-axis, find an animated ot just talking halloween prop and mount it as needed.

The servos I bought as part of a business I was running for group buys.. I'd buy 500-1000 at a time, sell them at cost only (I didnt need to make anything on them).. to the group buy members on other forums for their skull builds. Normal servo price for the HiTec HB25BB were between $16-$18.. I got them for abt $10/ea in quantitys of 500+. The HB45 and 65MG's (metal geared) were $30-$34/ea, I got for $22. I'm not doing the group buys anymore but you can still find them online at better prices than locally, unless you make an offer to a local seller as I did. I hit close to 30 hobby shops in Phoenix to find the one I dealt with. And my purchases werent enough to interest HiTec in making me a distributor either.. that was fine, as it would've been a longer term thing than I wanted.