Light-O-Rama Forums

Uuuggggg Controller Help Needed

paralegalnc

I have my controller.... it was hooked up and I've run tests and attached lights. ran my program...all was well. set it aside to work on my sequencing and life (come on I can't do this 24/7) so now I got my props and was going to test them... plugged the controller in and now the light won't come on. The power IS working...other stuff works. But the controller won't come on. Plugged in another controller (one I purchased used) and it works....but the one from LOR will not come on now.... any suggestions?

I'll ask the most basic question ... did you plug in both sides?

If so, check the fuse on the right side of the controller (the one controlling channels 9-16.) That side powers the controllers electronics.

yes it does have an ID....it was working great when I got it and tested it. Now it just doesn't work. How do I know if the fuse needs changing?? what would make it do that after just maybe 30 minutes of playing lights?? Can heat blow it?? Its been in the garage and it's been hot. But I don't want to have to change fuses for every show.

If you plug in the right side of the controller (channels 9-16) and you don't get a red light blinking there are at least two probable causes.

1) The fuse needs to be replaced.

2) Something else is wrong with the controller.

Try swapping the fuses real quick to see if that resolves the problem. (Maybe even borrow one from a working controller.) If it works, then it was the fuse. However, fuses blow for a reason. There might be a wire lose that is causing the controller to short, or something else going on. If that fuse blows again, you may consider having LOR take a look at it.

the new one I got doesn't have a red light...(the used one I bought does) the new one has a green light...but it doesn't come on at all now...I had my husband take a fuse from a controller we know is working and put in the right side of the new one... it didn't come on... he took the "one in question" and put it in the controller that is working...and it still works..... so....????? need to contact LOR?

I guess spomalley.... It came ready to go...I didn't do any solder anything... it worked before....when I got it I tested it...and ran my squencing ...then I put it aside for a month...now it won't work.

the new one I got doesn't have a red light...(the used one I bought does) the new one has a green light...but it doesn't come on at all now...I had my husband take a fuse from a controller we know is working and put in the right side of the new one... it didn't come on... he took the "one in question" and put it in the controller that is working...and it still works..... so....????? need to contact LOR?

Sounds like the fuse is good. Obviously the power outlet is working. Rules those two options out.

You can try a reset of the controller to see if that fixes it. If that fails, then I think it would be time to contact LOR. Sounds like something has gone wrong with it.

Reset Instructions for a CTB-16PC series Generation 3 controller.

Disconnect the power. On JP3, counting from the left, move the jumper on pins 4 and 5 over one notch to pins 5 and 6. Reapply power. The status light will blink very fast. Wait a few seconds, remove power, move the jumper pack to pins 4 and 5. Reapply power. You've reset the board. Go into the Hardware Utility and make sure the board is assigned to the correct physical location where it was before the reset.

did you only try one fuse? if fuse on the right bank is bad then then board won't power on,did you try both cat 5 inputs? never mind about the fuse I read your post again

Edited by james campbell

yes it does have an ID....it was working great when I got it and tested it. Now it just doesn't work.

Double check to make sure that the controller ID matches the ID you used in your sequences. Also, connect the controller to the computer and try controlling the lights "manually" through the Hardware Utility.

• 2 months later...

The same thing has happened to me, but it happened when I was trying to update the firmware of my idmx-1000 while it was connected to the g3. Utility hardware keeps telling me that it is off, and the fuses are both good.